what to do about this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
Reaction score
I have a large red oak in my yard that was hit by lighting in july of 05.I est. 4 cords of firewood in it.The thing is I have no experience dropping 50 inch trees and this one looks like a good way to get hurt or killed.Its about 60 ft. tall and has a clear drop path in any direction.Its not dead but several limbs have fell off in the past 2 years.Actually the insects are whats gonna do it in.Unless i happen to be driving or mowing under it when it drops a limb its not going to damange anything. Should I just leave it alone?

I have a large red oak in my yard that was hit by lighting in july of 05.I est. 4 cords of firewood in it.The thing is I have no experience dropping 50 inch trees and this one looks like a good way to get hurt or killed.Its about 60 ft. tall and has a clear drop path in any direction.Its not dead but several limbs have fell off in the past 2 years.Actually the insects are whats gonna do it in.Unless i happen to be driving or mowing under it when it drops a limb its not going to damange anything. Should I just leave it alone?

A standing dead tree is a huge liability for anyone near it. Take it down. If you aren't comfortable doing it, have someone who is do it. If they just get it on the ground it shouldn't cost much.

oh, and no sense in leaving 4 cords of good firewood to dry rot and get bug infested either.

Last edited:
Well 2nd thoughts are a healthy attitude to have...trees that big are more dangerous on the ground cause if you don't think it threw they'll roll on you when start limbing 'em.

That being said if it's a clear drop in any direction I'd give it some more thought. Just don't attempt it with anything less than a 20" bar minimum.

Hire someone

I you are not comfortable dropping this tree, my advice is don't do it. Most of the tree service guys will do this for a reasonable fee (if they have room to just drop it with a saw). And then you can do the rest of the work. Watch carefully and maybe you might want to tackle something like this the next time.

What saws do you have at your disposal? 50" is a massive tree but with nothing to hit, that would make it easier. I find the 12" or so the hardest to drop safely because they just go over so quick. The big ones seem to drop like they're in slow motion.

Well 2nd thoughts are a healthy attitude to have...trees that big are more dangerous on the ground cause if you don't think it threw they'll roll on you when start limbing 'em.

That being said if it's a clear drop in any direction I'd give it some more thought. Just don't attempt it with anything less than a 20" bar minimum.

I think if I was going to do this I would want a bit more than a 20" bar to get half way through a 50" tree.

J.W Younger, as it has been said before, if you dont feel comfortable doing it then don't. Some mistakes you don't get second chances on.

Something to think about if you hire it done and want to do the cleanup is to let the feller know what you are doing and to leave some holding wood in the hinge so it is less likely to roll as you are taking off support limbs. I like blowdowns for this reason. All I have to worry about is the log settling and springpoles.

Go slow and take your time with each cut till the last branch is cut away. Think it through before you make each cut and be alert to what it is doing at all times. Never go at it alone. Trees fight back without a conscience.

It sounds massive. It should be quite an experience to be there when it comes down and the cleanup.

Hope it goes well.

Bug infested, lightning history, large caliber, too many variables for one that is not confident with the felling. Pay some one to drop it and possibly cut it up. With the right saws it should not take long or cost too much. Call three locals and get prices.

LT...:greenchainsaw:

What saws do you have at your disposal? 50" is a massive tree but with nothing to hit, that would make it easier. I find the 12" or so the hardest to drop safely because they just go over so quick. The big ones seem to drop like they're in slow motion.

I have a ms460 as well as a promac610 both with 20 in bars.I can handle it when its on the ground , do a lot of cutting behind loggers and know how tricky it can get.I,m sure i can get it on the ground even it is them widow makers giving me a problem.

I have a ms460 as well as a promac610 both with 20 in bars.I can handle it when its on the ground , do a lot of cutting behind loggers and know how tricky it can get.I,m sure i can get it on the ground even it is them widow makers giving me a problem.

Well, Get to it then.....

And don't forget the pics. :cheers:

got any pics?

50 inch oak

Just remember you have lots of time, think things thru. Unless its badly out of balance you should be able to put it down right where you want it. Unless the bottom of the truck where you cut it off is rotten or other wise compromised should be straight forward. 20 inch bar is possible but 24 would be better.

Latest posts

Back