what to do with a like new MS390 thats got no compression???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
my uncle dropped by today with a clean like new MS390 thats got no compression at all , won't even fart--lol

normally i toss these clam-shell stihls. but this one is so new like i'm having second thoughts. like maybe a hutzle shortblock? i haven't looked at the bottom end for excessive slack yet--

do these things have any value at all? any market for the parts??

I had same situation. I bought the complete NWP shortblock on sale at Baileys. I've seen some with mild muffler mods.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I had same situation. I bought the complete NWP shortblock on sale at Baileys. I've seen some with mild muffler mods.

how did the balies lower end work out?

and the time i tossed the MS 290s there were no inexpensive knock off shortblocks for these things.

Clean it up and put a meteor piston in it if possible. I did however just put a hutzl 390 motor on a 290 that I widened the ports on,muffler modded and did a timing advance on. Seems like it's got some nutz but I haven't run it much. I figured the OEM cylinder would be better than Aftermarket is why I said clean it up if possible.I will tell you if you go hutzl the oil pump bolts and ground are 4mm not the self tapping type Stihl uses.

how did the balies lower end work out?

and the time i tossed the MS 290s there were no inexpensive knock off shortblocks for these things.
Easy. I didn't know history. Complete came with all bearings seals and all installed. Cheaper alternatives for sure. Time saver was worth it.

Nobody around here ever tosses a 390 just because it doesn't have compression. We usually just put a new top end on them and check for air leaks and put it back into service...I always put new crank seals on it while I have the engine out.

Latest posts

Back