New Saw MS 290 vs MS 361 Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got my New-To-Me MS 361 into some wood this morning!

First a little background as to my chainsaw history. Growing up we never really burned much wood. The house I grew up in had a fireplace downstairs and upstairs. Upstairs had an old Lopi insert. We burned for aesthetics more than anything else. Dad had an old Homelite. I don't recall which model but I do remember it being a manual oiler. I also remember that the demise of the saw was me snapping the handle off.... :msp_unsure: Dad never bothered to get a new one so mom bought him one for Christmas one year. She bought him a Craftsman........ :angry2: By far the cheapest, worst saw I've ever run in my life. We had that into the shop several times and it would rarely start easily and would never idle. Needless to say that when we moved to my grandparents old house on the farm, it was time for a new saw! Dad bought an MS 290. Always had good luck with that saw so when the time came that I moved into a house and wanted to start burning wood, I got a 290 for my birthday. No complaints about the saw at all. It has always run great and I can't recall a single issue that I've had with that saw.

So now for the comparison! Obviously there's the fact that the 361 is a Pro Saw and a full HP more than the 290. A little over 1 HP actually, I think. I was bucking up a 20" Ash that I had dropped a while ago. Running an 18" bar that my FIL had given me. I didn't check which chain I had on at the time but I don't think it was a Stihl chain like I normally run. Had my FIL sharpen them all up and I just slapped one on. At any rate, something was up with my bar and chain combo. I've never run this particular bar before but it just didn't seem to want to cut straight. Not sure if it was an issue with the bar/chain or if it was me just not used to the saw. At any rate, it definitely pulls better than the 290. I put some pressure on it and it pulled straight through the log whereas I would have to baby my 290 a bit or it would bog down. I'm looking forward to switching up the bar and chain and seeing how that runs.

Next observation is the AV handle. WOW!! Never would have guessed I had a chainsaw in my hands, it was that smooth. I'm thoroughly impressed with that particular difference. Should make a heck of a difference in how long I can cut without taking a break. Not saying my 290 is bad but this is just that much better!

I am going to get some bigger/better spikes though. It seems like the oil tank protrudes a little more than my 290 because I couldn't really dig them in very well and couldn't get good leverage. Think I might go for some duals.

I also like the fact that I can see how much fuel I have through the tank. Also on the fuel topic, it seems to be a bit more efficient than my 290. I didn't do a lot of cutting this morning but I still had over 1/2 tank when I was done. Seemed like I should have gone through more than that.

That's my review so far. I'll post with more comments later as I use the saw more.

When you get your 361 running properly I doubt you will pick up you 290 very often. Consider porting if you or someone you trust can do it correctly. Good luck.

I bought a 361 a few years ago and I love mine, jus put a 3/4 wrap on it and I'm messin around with the oiler, but it really is a good saw for what I use it for.

You never thought you'd write so much about a chainsaw, did you? Welcome to the world of CAD. :clap:

I also went from a 290 (20" .325 .063) to a 361 (20" 3/8 .050). Improvements: lower weight, better power-to-weight, more power overall, better low end torque (grunt), better stumper, much better antivibration, better fuel efficiency. I recommend a 20" bar with the oiler fully opened. You can bury it in hardwoods and it will keep its speed. The reach is a nice bonus, too.

You never thought you'd write so much about a chainsaw, did you? Welcome to the world of CAD. :clap:

I also went from a 290 (20" .325 .063) to a 361 (20" 3/8 .050). Improvements: lower weight, better power-to-weight, more power overall, better low end torque (grunt), better stumper, much better antivibration, better fuel efficiency. I recommend a 20" bar with the oiler fully opened. You can bury it in hardwoods and it will keep its speed. The reach is a nice bonus, too.

Can't say I would have thought to ever write that much... I do have a 20" that I'm probably going to run today. Won't be necessary for the wood I'll be in today but will be nice to see how it operates. Thanks for the advice on the oiler. I'll give that a go and see how it goes.

On the topic of CAD, now I'm not sure what to do with my 290. Part of me says keep it as a backup but the other part says I'll never use it. On the other hand, it was a birthday present from my parents... I also have a couple small Homelites as "backups" but they have 14" and 16" bars. With my FIL owning a Stihl dealership, I won't ever truly be without a saw if I ever found myself in the situation. I'm thinking I'll hang onto it in case I ever get in a pinch (literally). I've taken excellent care of the saw so there's no real reason to rid myself of it. Hmm... CAD......... Think I could get used to this disease although my wife might impose a cure...

Congrats on the new saw. The 290 is a great backup saw, and it doesn't owe you anything to keep it around.

Now that you've tasted 60 pro ccs - you aughta try 70+. I went from a 290 to a Dolmar 7300, like going from an S-10 to a Kenworth. My 290 eventually went to live with little brother when he bought a house in the woods. I still see it from time to time when it needs a sharpening or a tuneup.

Congrats on the new saw. The 290 is a great backup saw, and it doesn't owe you anything to keep it around.

Now that you've tasted 60 pro ccs - you aughta try 70+. I went from a 290 to a Dolmar 7300, like going from an S-10 to a Kenworth. My 290 eventually went to live with little brother when he bought a house in the woods. I still see it from time to time when it needs a sharpening or a tuneup.

I've run my FIL's 440 a few times. That's what I was truly looking for but everything I found was either beat to hell or they wanted darn near new-retail for it. I'm never really in any wood what would require a 440 or even this 361 for that matter but it handles it just so much better. A 440 will most likely be next on the list.

I've run my FIL's 440 a few times. That's what I was truly looking for but everything I found was either beat to hell or they wanted darn near new-retail for it. I'm never really in any wood what would require a 440 or even this 361 for that matter but it handles it just so much better. A 440 will most likely be next on the list.

My 261 and 460 make a wonderful team.

Tried a different bar/chain Today

I put my 20" bar on this afternoon and gave it a whirl. WOW!! Such a difference compared to the 18" I had on the other day. Leads me to believe that something was wrong with that bar, going to have to check into that. With the 20" today it just ripped! I also tried noodling for the first time today. Can't believe I never tried that before! Heckuva lot better than trying to hump those big rounds up to the splitter or try to bust them in half with the Fiskars. Cutting wood will never be the same!!

I put my 20" bar on this afternoon and gave it a whirl. WOW!! Such a difference compared to the 18" I had on the other day. Leads me to believe that something was wrong with that bar, going to have to check into that. With the 20" today it just ripped! I also tried noodling for the first time today. Can't believe I never tried that before! Heckuva lot better than trying to hump those big rounds up to the splitter or try to bust them in half with the Fiskars. Cutting wood will never be the same!!

There is no going back now!:clap:

Ron

The 361 is awesome, pulls a sharp full chisel on a 25" bar without grunting. Mine usually has an 18" bar strapped on. Now that you have one of these the next step up is a 660, if you ever run into wood over 48".

18 should out cut the 20 all day. Cutting crooked you either have an uneven sharpened chain or your bar rails need filed/ground back to level.

should not need longer felling spikes if your bar is ok and chain is sharp...particurally for bucking firewood. You would just loose cutting length. Use caution when noodling wood with knots or "no splits" as they often have dirt and sometimes small rocks but it does enable you to use "all' your fire wood!

enjoy

sap can

Back