What to leave a rope, but shouldn't.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddy Fork

Reaction score
I have a tree that I would like to climb regularly to practice, but don’t want to leave a climbing rope in it. I want to leave a nylon parachute line with a pulleys chained to about 25’ on the tree so when ever I want to climb I can tie off a looped end of a ½ climbing rope to the line and run it throw the pulley and put the loop on a D-ring at the base of the tree and start climbing. Is this possible or is there an easier way?

I have a tree that I would like to climb regularly to practice, but don’t want to leave a climbing rope in it. I want to leave a nylon parachute line with a pulleys chained to about 25’ on the tree so when ever I want to climb I can tie off a looped end of a ½ climbing rope to the line and run it throw the pulley and put the loop on a D-ring at the base of the tree and start climbing. Is this possible or is there an easier way?

Welcome to the site. I climb with spurs, never have climbed spurless but how about this. Tie a strong length of string to the end of your rope, pull the rope down and leave the string. You can use the string to pull your rope back up next time.

Is this possible or is there an easier way?

Hi Muddy, welcome to the forum!
In short Yes this is possible & yes there is an easier way.

If you want to practice. then why not practice climbing it from the ground up!
its much more fun & satisfying...

dont leave gear in the tree tho,it can ringbark a tree, plus sunlight degrades fabric & chains are a no no. ("clearance" was on the money re leaving the string tho) learn how to intall a friction saver & rope from the ground -ill post a diagram later.

but get someone to show you how to go up & down a tree, the basics are easy to learn & will save you alot of blood sweat & tears!

have fun up there!

ps. please! dont teach yourself from a book!

Last edited:
Don't use chain. It will damage the tree. For just a few dollars (like....$7) you can buy a super strong, but soft nylon sling that can be used in place of the chain.

There is the consideration of critters chewing on the sling. Maybe a steel cable eye-eye sling, but run it through a piece of tubing, that you run through a bigger piece of tubing, that you put through a piece of webbing....

What you are talking about is possible. It is a good setup if you know that people won't be messing with the nylon haul line that you leave at the tree.

Make sure you inspect the installation hardware regularly.

love
nick

I am not crazy about the thought of leaving stuff in a tree, even a small string can become deadly if a kid gets hold to and tries something stupid. If you are learning to climb I would stay start every day like you were aproaching a different tree. Learn to throw the rope, or throw-ball, a skill you will need anyway, aim for different spot on the tree every day and see how they will affect your ability to access the tree. This will be good practice for the real world where there is usually no hardware, just you and the rope.* Be careful.

*Of course a 28' ladder and a pole saw come in handy also, but that is for another thread. :)

If you are learning to climb I would stay start every day like you were aproaching a different tree. Learn to throw the rope, or throw-ball, a skill you will need anyway, aim for different spot on the tree every day and see how they will affect your ability to access the tree. This will be good practice for the real world where there is usually no hardware, just you and the rope.

took the words right out of my mouth, i still have the most trouble getting an accurate throw with my throw line. getting a line up in a tree with either a fale crotch or simple friction saver should be practiced too. your going to feel real stupid when you show up at a job and cant get a line in thew tree. trust me.:laugh:

I too am concerned with leaving something in a tree, unless it is on your property. If it is your tree, then leaving an old line in it is not a big deal. On the other hand there is merit to practicing setting the line every day too.

With throwball, I think using the same target repeatedly is the way to go. This ingrains the hand/eye coordination. This is how the people who get real good at it do it, keep hitting the same set of crotches all the time before going higher.

Im with everyone else on this one. If your gonna learn to climb ya gotta learn to use a throw ball. This is all part of climbing. It amazes me how many people show up wanting to work for us and dont know how to throw a line, and set a rope. Not only is it important for setting a rope for ascending a tree, its also a great skill to have for setting ropes in trees that you are going to fell, or for pulling out hangers that you missed after you have already hit the ground. Today I pruned two big silver maples and the home owner asked me if I could set a rope in his big locust for a swing for his daughter. Being the nice guy that I am I went into the back yard, set a line with a throwball and footlocked up to set the rope for the swing. (I would have installed a J-lag but didnt have any on the truck.) I anchored the rope with a lose bowline, not a running bowline from the ground that would have girldled the lead. And all was good. While I was setting my line I noticed a baseball tied into a womans nylon stocking with masonry twine tied onto it and hanging in the locust. Harry Homeowner admitted to trying to set the line with the baseball, but didnt quite have the desired effect. Any who, that was my excitement for the day.

Welcome to the site, this place is a wealth of knowlege.

Kenn.

Latest posts

Back