What to pay for a broke 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickelmore

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stumbled upon a repair shop that used to be a Stihl dealer who has a customer saw that needs a new P & C. He is pretty sure that the customer is not going to fix it.

What is a fair price for saws in this size and shape worth. I have not see the saw to see what the rest of the condition is like, but I am will assume it will be in fair condition or I won't buy it.

Thanks,

Theres one on my local craigslist ..guy says the piston is scored ... No muffler on the saw...by the pic it looks to be in pretty tough cosmetic shape and is pretty dirty...he wants 175 bucks for it i was wondering the same thing !!

I can only give a range from my experience.

Have paid as little as $75.00 for a minty 440 that needed a new piston and rings (was able to clean the aluminum transfer off the cylinder), to $325 for an 044 that needed new rings.

As you mentioned, a lot depends on the condition of the saw.

Everything is very "murky" about the whole situation as it stands right now.

It's still the customer's saw (NOT the dealers) and he may or may not fix it.
Even if he doesn't want to fix it...he may NOT want to sell it... (to you or the dealer).

First off...you've got to find out the above and if he DOES want to sell it...how much..??
If he DOES want to sell it ...who is gonna buy it...you or the dealer...dealer has first crack.

And finally...if YOU can buy it and can agree on a price...WHO is gonna do the repair work..??
YOU...or would you have the dealer do it and pay both for parts and shop rate repair time..$$

I don't see how anyone could give you even a "ballpark" price estimate with all the unknowns !!

Fixed and running with a new top-end done...I would say the saw would be worth $400 MAX !!
:cheers:
J2F

I have a mint (looking) 046, it has a broken crank, no body has a crank (or if they do they aren't interested in selling it to me) so the saw is worth absolutley ZERO to me, but probably a couple of hundred bucks to the guy that is holding out on me and has a crank in his shed.

P&C is a little different i know, you can buy them everywhere these days, but at the end of the day there is only one guy that can tell you what you need to pay for a broken 440 and that's the guy that owns it...

Thanks

Everything is very "murky" about the whole situation as it stands right now.

I was told that he was waiting on "the customer" to see what he wanted to do with the saw.

Dealer told me it was cost prohibitive for him to fix it because he is no longer a Stihl dealer and has to pay retail for parts.

I would do the repair myself.

If the dealer tells me the guy wants $50 bucks for the saw then its a no brainer, If he says he wants $200.........

And if the dealer or customer asks me what I want to "offer" I want to be fair as this is is the first deal with this dealer, I don't want to low ball him.

I am just looking for a "ball park" number that I can use without doing a weeks worth of research. The $400.00 price for a runner is a good place for me to start.

Thanks,

Back