What tree grows 90 degree limbs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I remember seeing a wooden mallet made from a tree limb about 6 inches in diameter, the handle was the branch that grew off the limb.. it was perfectly 90 degrees just like a hammer you would have put a handle in.. the guy told me what type of tree it came from but I can't remember.. he said it was the only tree that grew 90 degree limbs..??

I remember seeing a wooden mallet made from a tree limb about 6 inches in diameter, the handle was the branch that grew off the limb.. it was perfectly 90 degrees just like a hammer you would have put a handle in.. the guy told me what type of tree it came from but I can't remember.. he said it was the only tree that grew 90 degree limbs..??
Black gum grows with limbs like that. The things are impossible to split too so would make a good hammer cept that they ain't very heavy when dry.

Yeah, I was going to say black gum. Very tough tree, 90 deg limbs. They used to make wagon wheel hubs out of black gum, will not split.
BB

Latest posts

Back