What tree were you in on 9/11

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lego1970

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I started out the morning clipping on a couple real small trees while doing line clearance. My ex-wife had called and informed me on what was happening. At the time, I can't say that I was shocked. As a young teenage kid in the early and mid 80's I delivered newspapers so I was in tune with the worlds events. My Dad (who is fine today) was a traveling salesman and was out of town flying all over the country and in Europe 6 days a week. Every air disaster and terrorist attack thruout the world would have me think about my Dad. Having said that I never really worried about my Dad, since the man seems to have little emotion, therefore no fear of death, yet he was always in the back of my head. During a plane crash over the Potomac river in the early 80's there was a man that gave up his chance to live and slipped beneath the ice to give the blind girl the flotation ring, I saw my Dad, because my Father would of done the same thing. Having grown up in a college town where my best friends included Egyptians, Vietnamese, Chinese, South African, Jewish, and White Americans, I understood the complexity of diverse cultures, their history, and beliefs and how they correlate with one another. Anyway, later that day on 9/11 we went to an emergency removal. It was a Hackberry that had broken off towards the base and had gotten tangled in a Walnut. We had a good size crane, a bucket truck and two crews. My foreman climbed the Walnut and was cutting off some of the limbs that were tangled, another crew foreman was in the bucket truck attaching the slinging to the crane and I was on the ground hanging out with the crane operator. At the time I was a Journyman trimmer for Asplundh, but my foreman wanted to do this job, so I just hung out. The other crew foreman took a limb off and crushed the fence, but other then that the job was done without injury or damage. The main trunk was 17,000 lbs according to the crane's computer. It was pretty impressive. Thruout the day our wives kept calling and seeing when we were coming home, but we did our jobs as if it was just another day. My Dad was held up at Logans Airport on 9/11. He worked for Holmes which is based outside of Boston and was there on a business meeting. I didn't know my Dad was there. He traveled so much that I never did keep track of where he was. My mom notified me later that day that Dad was somewhere in Boston and that he shouldn't of been on one of the planes but none-the-less she was worried because sometimes my Dad's flight itenery changed and because she couldn't get a hold of him or anybody at Holmes since the phone lines were jammed. Good ole Dad is Ok and was able to rent a car with a couple of other business men and made it to Pittsburgh. From there he was able to rent a car for himself and drive home. To me the whole day didn't seem any more strange then other events like the TWA hijackings, or the Mexican City Earthquakes, Potomac river crash, Beruit, Challenger crash, etc, etc, but later that night it hit home with me that this was pretty significant. My son was born a couple months later and since then I've been plenty busy with him so I seldom reflect on that day. Well, anyway's that what tree work I did on 9/11 and how my day evolved.

Last edited:
I was cooking breakfast for myself, g/f was already gone to work, it was around 6 am or so. The radio was speaking about a plane crash, so I turned on the t.v.. The first tower was already hit, CNN was talking to an expert, blah, blah, I just happened to look up to see the second plane hit.

Wow.:confused:

Oh yeah, I went to work and cut down some trees, they were nothing memorable.

working in sea cliff 9 miles from nyc the fighter jets over my head the smoke was in the are four a week tom trees:cry:

working in sea cliff 9 miles from nyc the fighter jets over my head the smoke was in the are four a week tom trees:cry:

When I'm not doing trees I'm driving trucks and have been all over the NYC area, although when I'm not up there frequently I get all the places confused. The Twin Towers stood out like a sore thumb before. It was wierd going up 278 or across the Verazonal? (not sure on spelling) a year later and not seeing them. One thing I always liked about New Jersey, New York, Conn, etc is that one minute your causing somebody out, and one minute later it's as if nothing happened. Speaking of tree work, on Dec 16th 2005? ( I just rememeber is was the last day Howerd Stern was on radio) I was in Jersey City, New Jersey, and a tree company was taking down some big ole Cottonwoods via crane and jamming them down the mouth of some big @ss chipper, whole tree. I was pretty impressed. I think it took them about an hour or two to take down 4 big cottonwoods and run them thru the chipper. I had never seen such big equipment/crew run so fluid like.

10f9bnr.jpg
heres a pic of nyc from my boat in sea cliff tom trees

i don't recall my work day at all.I just remember on the way home (finally turned on the radio) and noticed every station was talking about it.though all just details,and didn't know just what had happened.was just about home anyway,so i turned on the tv to see the two towers had been hit.
man what a sad day.i remember having a good day of work,just don't recall it after that event.

I was doing line clearance on a Tranny line off the Ontonagon river Vally (Victory 69) the area I live in is very unpopulated so after 9/11 and even befor it was always used for fighter jet training (they call it big bear as I have been told) after 9/11 we would be climbing and trimming trees just along the river vally ant the jets would be doing training through the river gorge and at times we where close enough to the river gorge to be above the jets and watch them fly below the trees we where in. what a rush!

doesnt time fly

i just been thinking i was only in 2nd year of high school went that happend, didnt really talk bout it at school, playing ball tag with you mates was more exciting.

seams like bloody ages ago and im only 23, i dont wana get old.

I was working at the shop changeing stump grinder teeth when the first plane crashed into the towers, I was on the way to get parts for a sthil chainsaw when the second plane hit and the pent got hit.

I had just come out of the bucket after limbing a red oak for takedown when the woman I was working for opened her front door and said an airplane had just slammed into one of the towers.

I wasn't there

But I had two friends that were climbing in Central Park for the Asian Longhorn Beetle.

First plane hits and they start walking toward the towers. Second one and ut was about face.

==================

A third friend was with his wife on the subway headed to a boat dock for the Statue Of Liberty. Some squared away Public servant shut sown the subway stations under the towers and possibly saved their lives.

showin my age

geez guys showin my age hear

i was in my freshman year of high school in 2nd period heard about we put on the tv just i time to see the 2nd plane hit.....crazy day hard to belive its been that long

I was driving a truck listening to Imus conversing with Warner Wolf. He deascribed whathe had seen from his appartment building and I though "Wow, what are the odds?". I pulled into a donut shop a few minutes later and saw the other tower hit. I said out loud "Thats terrorists". I don't know why but it just came out. And everyones eyes got a lot bigger all of a sudden.

On a side note, my brother was supposed to have been on one of those flights out of Boston that day. Company cancelled its conference for later that afternoon and he stayed home. :clap:

i wasn't in a tree then.

unfortunately i was still a mechanic then.

i lived in Maryville TN but was working in Knoxville.2nd and last day i worked there.

i was working on brakes on a trailer when it happened.i thought it was a sick joke.i remember it like it was yesterday.

Not in a tree at all, but on a gurney being wheeled out of intensive care after 3 weeks in for smashed ribs, ruptured spleen, etc. (note--pay attention to limbs under tension!)

So the first sight of the world after being semi/unconscious all that time was an airplane in a building. i had to wonder what planet I was on.

My motherinlaw was born on Sep 11; bad coincidence for a nice person.

I was working in Richmond, had just started job a few weeks earlier. Someone came out of store near where we were working and told us a plane crashed into the towers. I called home to find my wife in tears, we both had family & friends that worked there. Originally from NYC I knew the towers well, they were a nighttime landmark for many nights out on my boat in the bays around NYC. I had a job down the street from them for a while and spent a few lunch hours wandering around the plaza and riding the elevators to the top. Folks that I worked with in VA had no idea the size of the buildings, they were confused as to how a plane could hit a building. Tallest thing in Richmond is less than 20 stories. Trying to explain how each tower had its own zip code only drew blank stares. You had to see the towers to believe them. Pictures/video do no justice. Lost some friends in the disaster some were never found, family all made it out OK. some were off that day, or just decided to call in sick for whatever reason. It saddens me now that they have not been rebuilt, I am an advocate that they should be put up exactly as they were.

Not in a tree at all, but on a gurney being wheeled out of intensive care after 3 weeks in for smashed ribs, ruptured spleen, etc. (note--pay attention to limbs under tension!)

So the first sight of the world after being semi/unconscious all that time was an airplane in a building. i had to wonder what planet I was on.

My motherinlaw was born on Sep 11; bad coincidence for a nice person.

You have the best story. What a thing to wake up to to.

Latest posts

Back