What type of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magnolia Grandiflora (me think) - p'raps someone from Mississippi could confirm?

Last edited:
I was thinking is was in the dogwood area but the flowers are not the same.

There is a dogwood right next to it and the leaves are not the same and the bark is smoother than a flowering dogwood.

but a young one has smooth bark. Ends of petals do look different though. How big was/is the tree? This is really bugging me - it's one I've seen before only a couple of months ago, and that was as a place I was heavily cutting back dogwood

Speaking of the petals....now all dogwood look the same. One of my favourite photographers of the past, Ansel Adams, has a picture of dogwood which is similar to the petals you have shown, as are the leaves. See http://www.afterimagegallery.com/adamsportf3dogwood.htm

Last edited:
I see your from Indiana, hopefully not around Martinsville right now! To me it looks like a Eastern flowering Dogwood, the flowers are the same and the leaf is also similiar. It is native to Indiana also. I looked it up in my Trees of Indiana Book.

dont know the species cause i havent looked it up, but that flower screams dogwood

Personally the branch/twig arrangement is what screams dogwood to me, but either way, I agree!

I remember first starting out in this line of work just last year and my boss telling me just how much a dogwoods structure lends itself to pruning, I'd have to agree! :)

I remember first starting out in this line of work just last year and my boss telling me just how much a dogwoods structure lends itself to pruning, I'd have to agree! :)

Just curious what makes you think that? I've always thought Dogwoods seem to have an almost perfect structure and need little pruning? Kind of like a White Oak or Poplar.

Is it possible to get pics of the trunk? That would make it really easy to tell the difference between kousa and flowering dogwood. I 'm pretty sure its a Dogwood though.

its either a prune or a take down. lol:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back