What type of vehicle do you take to

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
the woods in???

I have a 2004 Yamaha 660 Rhino that carries all my wood, chainsaws, gas, and everything else to my woodlot and back. I'm sure there are some real extreme woods vehicles out there in this crowd.:cheers:

I have a Rhino also and built a bed extension so I can actually get some wood in it. The bed is pretty pathetic just on it's own.

I use my firewood hauler, a 76 K10 chevy heavy half ton..... or my buddies PSD with a 20' dump trailer.

hydro2 said:
I have a Rhino also and built a bed extension so I can actually get some wood in it. The bed is pretty pathetic just on it's own.
True but I just have to do multiple trips. I load it pretty heavily though.

I will take a pic of the extender and post it. I come out of my receiver and up at an angle and the extender rest on the bed and comes out past the tailgate. I put 2" steel sides on it. Same pricipal as a cargo carrier for a truck.

How do you like your Rhino? I could not live without mine. I use it all of the time for everything. I do wish it had a bed size like the Kubota, but then it would be a big tank and no good for woods riding. They truly will go anywhere.

hydro2 said:
How do you like your Rhino? I could not live without mine. I use it all of the time for everything. I do wish it had a bed size like the Kubota, but then it would be a big tank and no good for woods riding. They truly will go anywhere.
I love it! I traded a 99 Yamaha Grizzly for it. Wife loves it too. It works hard for me in the woodlot and the garden, and then takes the wife and I all over Gods creation on trail rides. Even if I wanted to, the wife would never let me get rid of it.

I use an Allis Chalmers D17 tractor and pull an old manure spreader that hauls the firewood. The tractor is small and low enough to get around pretty good under trees and I can get a heckuva good load of wood on the spreader.

I am going to try out my old Terrajet this year when the snow goes away and see how it does climbing the hills out at the woodlot. I need to pick up a trailer for it to pull..

attachment.php

Kubota 4X4 L2800 tractor with forks instead of bucket on front end loader. I pull a home made 5"X10" wagon. This set up works good for me.

If I'm on my own place I use my 2810 Ford tractor and a 5x10 trailer. If I go someplace else I use my 03 Chevy 4x4 and the 5x10 trailer.

Wood hauler

I have a 1978 Argo 8 wheeler, that was converted for use for my paralysed father. This machine became his legs outdoors, and it really fulfilled his life. He died in 1995, I have have religiously maintained this beast. When the tires were new, I helped pull a Chev 2500 4x4 out of a swamp.

I have a 4x8 trailer that I can fill with 2 full cords, and this thing still brings it home. The best thing about these vehicles is that they are so mechanically simple, require very limited maintenance, and run forever. Highly recommended!

Pete

Lifted '80 Toyota with a flatbed and winch, or for the bigger loads and longer hauls I use my '79 F250.

My '41 JD B pulls my 6'X11' trailer nicely through the woods. With 12X38 tires, does alomost 20mph on the road. The B is tore down right now. Getting new aluminum pistons and a powertrol (hydraulic pump and control) on the back, then new paint.
Scott

Bad E said:
I love it! I traded a 99 Yamaha Grizzly for it. Wife loves it too. It works hard for me in the woodlot and the garden, and then takes the wife and I all over Gods creation on trail rides. Even if I wanted to, the wife would never let me get rid of it.
I had a 98 Grizz that I sold to buy mine.

parrysounder said:
I have a 1978 Argo 8 wheeler, that was converted for use for my paralysed father. This machine became his legs outdoors, and it really fulfilled his life. He died in 1995, I have have religiously maintained this beast. When the tires were new, I helped pull a Chev 2500 4x4 out of a swamp.

I have a 4x8 trailer that I can fill with 2 full cords, and this thing still brings it home. The best thing about these vehicles is that they are so mechanically simple, require very limited maintenance, and run forever. Highly recommended!

Pete

How well does she float ? Have you had any axle problems ?

Bill

Argo

I had to replace on front axle, only because I was stupid and slid into a stump on ice and sheared off the bolt flange, and the wheel fell off. Funny thing is, I drove home about 5 miles with 7 wheels! Tried to weld it, it lasted about 1 year and broke again. The Argo factory provided the parts and instruction on how to do the job. It took about 6 hours in total. I think the axles are 1 1/4" if I recall.

As for floating, it floats fine and moves at a pace up to a medium troll. The shaft to body seals are just like bearing buddies on boat trailers. The bearings will last forever if you keep up with the regular greasing. Remember, this unit is almost 30 years old, and I am sure that the newer Argo's have refined many things over the years.

IMHO, Argo's are more durable and reliable than any other ATV's, just because their design is so simple and robustly constructed. They don't serve everyone's needs, but if you are ever looking for a woodlot utility vehicle, check them out. ( Gee, this sounds like an advertisement, and no, I am not a dealer, just a satisfied customer)

Back