What type of winter boots do you wear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wistattman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This past weekend I was out in the woods doing some splitting when I realized my sock felt wet inside my boot. It seems that the Sorel Caribou boots I was wearing has sprung a leak. Of course I was not impressed since I purchased the boots about 1.5 years ago at a tractor supply store. It must be a pin hole on the bottom of the boot that I can not spot.

I still have snow, water, and some mud where I'm splitting and cutting wood. Hopefully it won't be much longer before it is dry out there. Anyways, I was looking for some suggestions on some nice warm and dry footwear that I could purchase for next year's winter woodcutting season. I want something that will stand up to working in the woods, steel toed is ok, caulks are not necessary, waterproof is a must. Hopefully something made in the USA instead of China would be great.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Gary

I asked for Carolina boots for Christmas as my dad (UPS driver) always wore them and swore by them. I was disappointed to find out that they are indeed made in China when I got them however. I'm not sure when they outsourced their production. They're holding up pretty well, very warm, and comfortable for steel toes, but given the choice I'd rather have something American made. Maybe Danner next time?

I have a pair of LL Beans Wildcat boots. Love them. Notsteel or fiberglass toe, but very warm, not heavy, waterproof.

For wood cutting I use jonsered rubber chainsaw boots, with a removable liner, these boots have saw protection, are warm, waterproof, steel toe, and have stood up to 3 years of abuse with no problems.

For hunting I use a pair of irish setters by redwing, they have 1000 grams of thinsulate. They are very warm and seem quite durable, but no saw protection, or steel toe so it hurts when you drop a round of firewood on your foot.

Just my 2 cents.

TS:cheers:

Removable liner is nice, because it can be removed and dryed by the wood stove, for warm, dry boots in the morning.

Last edited:
To finish the season out with dry feet in your current boots, put a plastic bag on over your sock then insert foot in boot. Works wonders. Bread bags also do a fine job.

This past weekend I was out in the woods doing some splitting when I realized my sock felt wet inside my boot. It seems that the Sorel Caribou boots I was wearing has sprung a leak. Of course I was not impressed since I purchased the boots about 1.5 years ago at a tractor supply store. It must be a pin hole on the bottom of the boot that I can not spot.

I still have snow, water, and some mud where I'm splitting and cutting wood. Hopefully it won't be much longer before it is dry out there. Anyways, I was looking for some suggestions on some nice warm and dry footwear that I could purchase for next year's winter woodcutting season. I want something that will stand up to working in the woods, steel toed is ok, caulks are not necessary, waterproof is a must. Hopefully something made in the USA instead of China would be great.

Gary

hey gary

i fixed my husky chainsaw boots by taping the top up and inserted a blow gun hooked up to my air compressor. put boot in water and put air into boot. saw the pinhole under water by air escaping little bubbles. took out and marked. got soldering iron out and melted bottom of boot where leak was, been 5 yrs now and still dry.

I would say danner, mine have been great, but they started sending some work overseas and I don't want chinese boots... my next set will probably be whites, whenever that will be..

Last edited:
I would say danner, mine have been great, but they started sending some work overseas and I don't want chinese boots... my next set will probably be whites, whenever that will be..

I've bought Danner in the past but have heard their quality has gone down hill. That would :censored: explain it, too bad.

They have a factory not far from where I work in Portland Or. I used to stop in there from time to time and got some great deals. My first pair are now 15 or 16 years old and still holding up.

Columbia Bugabootoo, so far they are comfortable , got a pair from sierratradingpost.com

erez

Last edited:

Rocky boots went the same route :censored: They are still GREAT boots but...

I wear Lowa's...the Tibet GTX model to be exact. Hand made in Germany. Very good quality. Got them special ordered for $286. Great boots, wear them every day. I don't like to wear anything else.

If there's snow on the ground, I'm either wearing a pair of White's pacs or Schnee's. My Danner Elk hunters finally gave up after 6 seasons of hard use hunting and working. The side deteriorated and blew out. Now I'm getting wet feet with them.

Gary

I have been using these felt lined, steel toe, waterproof Ranger Firemaster boots for over 25 years. Warm, dry great traction and ample protection.

Here is a pair if size 12 - like mine - on sale for $25.00 on e-bay.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/ranger firemaster boots?_dmd=1&_sop=12

Ed

Last edited:
samson riggers and thick socks, steel to and keeps the mud out!...... not to comfy over the whole day but dry and warm

It seems like most of the boot companies send work overseas. I have a pair of Chippewas that are about 14 yrs old made in USA that I wouldn't trade for a new pair made in China.

I was at a Labonville store here in Maine and they have some nice USA boots. I think these will be my next pair.

i use Viking chain saw boots with remove able felts lasted 3 years before i got holes :(. my buddy was getting rid of his new never used johnson red chainsaw boots they didn't fit is calves so i bought them half price :)

Back