What was the best learning experience you ever got working on a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found out that when you can buy a saw for $10 off of fleabay from someone who knows nothing about saws and says it doesn't work, it sure is great to get it and find out that all it needs is a tuneup and fuel lines. So far I have gotten lucky on two saws that way.

I also learned not to run the saw without a bar and chain after just reinstalling the clutch. ( there is still a dent in the ceiling)

That reminds me of the hole above the door in my brother's house..his son was cleaning his 45 in the living room when it went off. They left the hole as a reminder for him.

Aussie1 You weren't far wrong. It was amazing what was bent or broken. The bar was bent and split at the mounting end and even that is now back in use.

Ok cool ya fixed it but ? how did it get all bent up that way.

I got it off a bloke who was going to hang it in the shed as a talking piece. I'd heard about the saw and asked a mate if he could talk to him about parting with the carby. He told my mate if I could put it to good use I could have it. I caught up with him the other day and he told me he was cutting down a rather large red stringy that was rotten in the centre and it fell the wrong way. The saw was jammed so he stepped away. As the tree fell the saw came loose, fell on the ground and as the tree hit the ground it then rolled off limbs on to the saw. The saw was caught between the trunk and a stump. The tank had something like over a foot of splits/cracks. The oil tank was leaking at the case gasket from the impact. Both mixture screws were bent. The starter side case was in two pieces which I glued together with Selley's Kneadit. I had a ported big bore kit sitting there idle and sourced some second hand and aftermarket parts and she runs as you see in the vid.

So yes turning a basket case parts saw into a running saw was a learning experience.

Last edited:
I learned that fuel lines are easy to install if you do it right.

1) Heat up a small section near the end with a lighter and stretch the tube so that you have a skinny section of tubing.

2) Cut the tubing where the tubing has the smallest cross section.

3) Pull the tube through the hole in the saw (which by the way is always 2 sizes too small)

4) Cut off the rest of the stretched tubing and install filter and carb.

My 5200 and 350 taught me the most out of all my saws, but I learned about checking the oiler with no chain on my "hot wheels" saw... Never found that clutch shoe.:bang:

Recoil springs are VERY unforgiving:bang:

Right you are. Had a buttload of fun one afternoon winding a 'sproinged' spring back into the Fairbanks/Morse type starter for one of my C5's.

Sproing!!!
"Ah crap..........this is gonna be fun...Gimme a beer.":bang:

Right you are. Had a buttload of fun one afternoon winding a 'sproinged' spring back into the Fairbanks/Morse type starter for one of my C5's.

Sproing!!!
"Ah crap..........this is gonna be fun...Gimme a beer.":bang:

thats about the size of it

I learned something a couple of days ago that I like. I've been looking at open transfers and thinking of a way to get more out of them.

I had several wildthings sitting around so I tried something I've not seen yet. Someone has probably already done this, I've not seen it though.

I figured out how much of the transfer is uncovered when the piston is at BDC. Then I widened that much of the transfer port toward the intake, I added about a third more area to the port. It really brought the little saw to life. Of course that's not all I did to it, but I've ported several of these small open transfer type saws without being too impressed, but this one screams.

Back