What was the best learning experience you ever got working on a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My best was the first time I tried to take one of my mini-macs apart and discovered that a bench vise that swivels is your best friend with those evil little monsters.

I put together a Homelite 7-19 out of two boxes of parts, it was rewarding to fire it up and cut with it.

I still feel the same way every time I fire up my "Ugly Bastard"!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/skBSR8gThm8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/skBSR8gThm8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The last several months have been one learning experience after another. I had never disassembled a chainsaw until Oct. of last year.

I smashed my 028 and found this site, at about the same time I became too sick to continue building houses.

Thank God for ArboristSite and you guys.

A couple things come to mind. Working on older Homelites here of course.

- Figuring out the twist needed to get the carb out of a 150. It was an even better feeling to get the twist needed to get it back in!

- The twist needed to seperate a 330 fuel tank from the handle assembly.

- First time I used to fishing line trick (thanks to AS !) to pull a fuel line through the hole.

- Using some thin slices of sheet metal to help slide the anti-vibes free on a 650. Same technique works on all the 450-750 saws. 350/360 anti-vibes aren't a problem since they don't have a metal tip that locks in a dimple on the housing the join.

- Swapping pistons on any 350-750 saw is really easy with a press and a block of oak with a hole in it.

Dan

Andy's (Lakeside53) thread on splitting the case. Very timely since I had an 066 to go through and replace the bearings. Now I've split the case on several different saws and foolish or not have no fear of taking on most any project.

It was a shame that Andy got tired of AS and went off elsewhere..

Mark

The Super 250 I have been working on has tought me a lot. Not really worried about anything else. As long as I have the tool or can make the tool, I think I can get it fixed.:clap:

A couple things come to mind. Working on older Homelites here of course.

- Figuring out the twist needed to get the carb out of a 150. It was an even better feeling to get the twist needed to get it back in!

- The twist needed to seperate a 330 fuel tank from the handle assembly.

- First time I used to fishing line trick (thanks to AS !) to pull a fuel line through the hole.

- Using some thin slices of sheet metal to help slide the anti-vibes free on a 650. Same technique works on all the 450-750 saws. 350/360 anti-vibes aren't a problem since they don't have a metal tip that locks in a dimple on the housing the join.

- Swapping pistons on any 350-750 saw is really easy with a press and a block of oak with a hole in it.

Dan

I learned not to apply too much twist to the bearing nut on the flywheel of said 150, the crank is fragile in that area. I guess a lot of WD40 would be better!

I learned not to apply too much twist to the bearing nut on the flywheel of said 150, the crank is fragile in that area. I guess a lot of WD40 would be better!

That reminds me of one more....
- Threads for the flywheel nut with the overrunning bearing on a 150 are left hand!

and yes, the cranks are fragile where threaded. I've partially broken one when trying to use a puller to remove the flywheel. Still don't have a good technique for removing the flywheels on these saws.

Dan

That reminds me of one more....
- Threads for the flywheel nut with the overrunning bearing on a 150 are left hand!

and yes, the cranks are fragile where threaded. I've partially broken one when trying to use a puller to remove the flywheel. Still don't have a good technique for removing the flywheels on these saws.

Dan

If I remember correctly I was turning it righty to take it off but it was so tight or rusted that it wouldn't budge. I wonder if heat would have ruined anything? I guess it wouldn't have hurt it any more than I did with that impact tool! I hope I don't have to take any more flywheels off the 150s I have left.

Buying a totally dismantled 460 on eBay for £120 and re-building it. No worries about screwing it up, it was all in bits already.

Don't leave an impact gun laying on the ground with a socket on it.... I was working on my car and I left a 3/4" socket on the gun and my son put it on the crank of a Poulan 3400 and hit the trigger. After him laughing and my crying, it was time to replace the crank. Snapped that puppy right off. Live and learn, I guess.

Latest posts

Back