What was your 1st chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First saw run was an 028 super with a firewood crew. First saw bought was a ProMac610 from a pawnshop for $80.00 that was 20 years ago. Joined here some years back to learn about fixing up a C90 homie auction find, now I have over 110 running saws and 85 of those are over 100cc's. I have definately jumped a ride on the crazy train since i've been here. I do actually use some of them (heat with wood) and do get to see some 60"+falling jobs now and again. Still not enough to convince the wife that the saw collection is any kind of need.:rolleyes2:

A lightly used 038 Mag 2. A bit heavy, but a torque monster.

I recently sold it to purchase an anniversary gift for my wife. :msp_sad:

I have since replaced it with 5 Stihls and 6 Huskys...along with another 40 saws from sawbones...:biggrinbounce2:

For my 13th birthday Dad got me a Stihl 034 Farmboss with 20" bar, loved it, I still
think it is one of the best smaller saws Stihl made.

Stihl 066 magnum. It was my dads saw that he used to use. When I got it, it had a 20"Stihl rollomatic bar with a Stihl skip tooth chain. I put a full comp chain on it so I could get used to it. I'd used a few other saws before this so i'd had some experience.

I'm not certain but I think it has some port work done as well.

My first saw was a rear handle Stihl 015 which was a gift from my mother. The first one that I bought myself which I still have is a Stihl 031AV. I added the chain brake to it so it would be an 031AVQ now.

Mine was a stihl 034 from my old man, still my favorite saw today, next was an 084

Mine was the family Lombard from the 60's - I don't remember the model but it had a magnesium frame which was supposed to be cutting edge (pardon pun) according to the ads. I was using it at 14 years old back in the 70's to cut wood to make some money and buy guns. It had a straight pipe for a muffler, manual chain oiler and no anti-vibe that I can remember. I think it is still in their garage somewhere.

The first saw I bought was a Homelite 360 PRO in 78'. I cut pulp with it for about 6 months, got a job driving truck interstate and while I was in Fl. The saw burned up in a fire Then ins. bought a new one. I cut firewood for a few years with it then moved to Az. and sold it. Move ahead 4 years I cut with a Mac 310,Jonsered 70e and some other yellow saws (Don't remember #'s) Then bought a MS 440 now thinking about a 346 to go with the 440.

Mac 1-70. I, along with other wood cutter friends, learned about the value of good hearing protection!

Mine was a Stihl ms290. It was a huge step up from my dad's 025. Then I found AS and had to have a 440. Been all downhill since!

stihl 024 ,bought new in early 90s ,someone wanted more than i did i guess so i no longer have it ,replaced it with an 034av ,still have that one

Echo CS-315

An Echo CS-315 bought it in June '77 with my first paycheck at my new job which was in my dads Echo shop. I still use it today...Bob

I had cut a lot of wood with the XL12 my dad bought new in 65 But in 1973 when
I was 17 he bought me a good used Homelite XL 923 from a logger freind that I could call my own.

Sold a lot of firewood in those days and would deliver and stack a cord for twenty bucks.

Around 1977 was cutting trees up near my house and was backing up my truck when I thought I hit a chunk of firewood.
( back in those days going green had a whole different meaning than today and may have been the problem that day. ) :bang:

Thinking it was fire wood and I had that big V8 motor in my 70 Jimmy 4x4 I just gassed it to go over it.

Turned out to be my XL 923 and not a log. :msp_sad:

A trip to Sams Saw shop and fifty bucks later I had a new handle and was cutting again. :rock:

Back