What was your dad/family's first saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First family saw was the '56 Mall GP my dad used in the '50s and early 60's. It's the reason it was the first model I picked for a resto. I was never big enough to run it before he wore it out.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We never had any working saws when I was a kid; the fireplace was built wrong and wouldn't draft, so we didn't burn anything in it, and our house was built new in 1974 so the trees were never big enough to need much trimming that couldn't be done more easily with a handsaw.

That said, my dad did work for Weyco, and sometimes brought dead saws home from work. They'd always end up incorporated into the playhouse as some sort of turret or other. I remember duct taping something big to a sit-n-spin. I remember at least one yellow saw, at least one orange-and-white, and at least one blue. If I had to speculate, I'd guess the Stihl was an 051 or something thereabouts, the Homey some flavor of XL or other, and the Mac probably something akin to a PM700. I wish I'd thought to keep 'em -- I'm sure they were just straight-gassed or something that I could easily fix now.

When I first replied to this thread the thoughts of early childhood came back and I came up with the 011AV not giving any thought to the fact that I started my own family 20 years ago and the first saw that I bought for my family was a Mini Mac 32cc/14" bar. It lasted 2 years before it gave up the ghost. After that came the Poulan Pro 330 with 54cc/ 22" bar. Cant remember now how long it lasted but I felt it wasn't nearly long enough. In the end it coughed up a ring. In 07 I bought my 440, and this spring onto the 250C. Next year I plan to add one more smaller stihl for the boy to start out with. If all works out he can take it with him as a first saw for his family.:clap:

Grandpa's Craftsman 2.0 was bought around '78, I remember Dad using it to cut up pallets for kindling as a kid. Its in the barn awaiting its resurrection.

Around '85, when my parents started heating with wood, Dad bought a Homelite 360. I can still remember Dad cussin' that saw for having rubber A/V bushings that wore out alot. It grenaded a piston in the mid '90's and the parts to fix it were going to be as much as the retail price of a brand new SXL, so Dad bought the new saw. First thing he did once the saw got home was remove the safety guard from the tip of the bar.

I ran the SXL for the first time around '00 when I was 14yo.

When I bought my house I acquired a near mint 015L from a family friend. Not long after that, I discovered AS and picked up the rest of the fleet.

My dad sold his saw shop two years before I was born than we moved but I rember a homelite 600 then a mac some wards saws (he worked for monkey wards) then a jonsereds 70e. He's been gone almost 2 years so I cant ask him. I still have that 70e and my stihl ms440

First saw i remember was my dads jonsered 670 champ half wrap with a west coast k&n air filter and 18'' bar that was a beast of a saw til he gave it to his coworker i still see it once and a while

Mcculloch 380

My dad bought this in the late 50s early 60s. He then bought a Pioneer 1073 much lighter. I just sold the 380 to a gent in Michigan who heats with wood and loves the old saws. I still have the 1073 and have just rebuilt the carb. Lately I've added a Homelite super EZ a Pioneer P25 a Poulan Preditor a Mac Titan 57 and a Mac110. All five bought for $80.00! The Mac 110 is in a box and I've not been able to get the Titan running yet. The saw I've been using mostly for the past few years is a Craftsman (poulan). Just put a new bar and chain on and cuts like crazy. I will state that I don't work with any saw just recreational. I get a kick out of making things work

All the Best of the Season

First saw i remember was my dads jonsered 670 champ half wrap with a west coast k&n air filter and 18'' bar that was a beast of a saw til he gave it to his coworker i still see it once and a while

Not that I feel my opinion counts for anything, but I think I'd see if you could offer to swap him some other saw and get your Dad's saw back. Clean it up and rebuild, etc and then keep passing it on in your family. I imagine it musta been a special buddy for your Dad to give him that saw, but I believe it would do better in your hands and he'd give it up if you offer him a decent saw to swap.

My first saw was a 1010 MCCulloch. I was 12 years old when I started running it.

Don Walker

MOD EDIT: Non-Sponsor contact info removed, contact user via PM

Last edited by a moderator:
fathers first saw was a 090av in the 70's/80's ,when he was logging down Timbertown (Bombala N.S.W)

The first saw I recall on the Wisconsin dairy farm of my grandparents was a Stihl 041. This would have been late '60s. I got to run the saw once when I was 14, and when it wore out it got tossed, and I don't know what it was replaced with.

The first saw I cut regularly with (my Dad bought it new in '74), was a little red Craftsman. It eventually went out to the lake cabin, and was replaced with Jonesered 2153C a couple years ago. I ended up selling the Craftsman (it still ran fine) for $40 at a swap meet.

I wish now I'd have kept it, just for old tim's sake. It was very clean, the little 40cc or so model, the one with the self-sharpener. You know, the one with the self-sharpener lever that ALWAYS worked its way loose and fell off! :D

My family on both my Dads side and Mothers side go way back as far as woods work goes, logging and woods work run deep in my family. I am lucky enough to have all the saws that belonged to my grandfather, father,myself and even some from my uncles on both sides and my FIL`s saws as well. That accounts for a lot of saws in my collection. The first saw my family owned,

IMG_1485.JPG

Next,

IMG_1881.jpg

dads first,

IMG_1892.jpg

Latest posts

Back