What was your first ride?? --Just for Fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my second Honda CL175

1270299271_85594913_2-9733-1971-Honda-CL-Scrambler-Low-Miles-Classic-Grand-Rapids-1270299271.jpg

Wow, that is a good looking bike. The first one you posted has a weird front fender. What were they thinking?

My first was a 1973 VW Beetle. Did a complete body off pan refurb...lots of work done on that one. Repainted mint green, new interior...Its sold now, but I have seen it around since!

That is kool. :cool: Glad to hear the new owner loves it. I've heard many a story about that air cooled engine running out of oil and still not being damaged in any way. Some say it's like some of the B&S lawnmower engines, don't bother to change the oil, it don't need it in the first place...

They were old school bikes, Mine was used and abused when i bought it too. It didn't look no where near as good as the one in the pic. Wish i still had both of them.

I wish I still had my 2002 Yamaha TT-R 125L. Many people say that engine is one of the most reliable engines Yamaha makes. I even put Royal Purple oil in it. Yes, it definitely went a little faster. I had a friend follow me on an atv, which had a speedometer, and he said I topped out at 70 mph. The only problem I ever had with it was the front inner tube failing. I also hand fabricated a diamond aluminum skid plate for it, shark fin chain guard, and upper chain guard. Bought it for 1500, sold it for 1200. I rode it hard, and never crashed it. I guess I used my "crash tickets" up on the snowmobiles, lol. I loved that thing, but kinda outgrew it. I want a KTM EXC 300, street legal for my next bike. Gotta get a job first, pay off college, then buy the bike. My parents are scared of the other idiot drivers on the road hitting me. That's why I will pay attention and avoid/dodge them. Bikes stop pretty damn fast too, so that'll help.

I like the idea! As I recall the bleachouts we did had a green tint to the smoke I think of all the rubber we laid down on those backroads and wonder how noone ever ended up wrecked or in jail.
My 18 year old lusts after the G8 or Vette in the garage but will only be behind the wheel of either as he pulls em out to wash em.

you sure even thats safe???? :rotfl::rotfl:

My first ride was a 1950 Ford F-1 short bed with a flat head V-8. Grandpa taught me how to drive it when I was 12. We would go out the woods and he would hand the controls over to me. I didn't actually own it, but if I could scrounge together two bucks for gas I could use it whenever I wanted to. He passed away in 1975, and the truck sat in his garage for 15 years until the house was sold. Everyone knew that I really wanted that old truck, but the guy who bought the house said that he would only buy the house if the truck went with the deal,,,,,,,,so I didn't get my favorite vehicle in the end,,,,sigh!

relation are wonderful,,NO????

mine??? 1955 ford two dr seeeeedan,272 2 brl,three tree..good on fuel--then put on the "bird cage" 4 brl,,and would it haul!! told dad not to drive it--as had a short in plug wire--azz that he was--he did--turned corner sharp,fuel out bowl--burnt to the grd---it was free to me!!! damn--38,000 actual--

Falcon

62 falcon two door station wagon. Right up there with the world's slowest cars, but tell ya whut, filled the tank for two dollars (gas was 12-20 cent a gallon then depending on octane), ride all week on that, would haul me, my buds, a buncha hippy chicks and all our gear up to the lake for some fun times.

Wish I still had it. Reliable as all get out, you could pop the hood and actually have a clear shot at non smogged no computer no nuthin engine. Easy peasy. Everyone set points with a paper matchbook cover, and you cleaned them with the paper "striker" on the same matchbook. You did that every time you changed the oil, and that was it for maintenance. Back then, gas stations were "full service", the guys would slop your windshield clean and check your tires for pressure and fill them if needed, plus, they gave you free stuff all the time. Maps (for the iPod generation-flat folded pieces of paper that unfolded and gave you a line drawing plus roads of your local area-this is how we navigated to new areas). Sets of steak knives and glasses/mugs/tumblers. "Savings stamps". You bought x-gallons and they give you stamps that got stuck into a booklet. Fill the booklet, it was redeemable for "exciting prizes", all sorts of junk.

Lemme see..new decent tires were around ten bucks. A small fishing boat new (like a little metal jonboat or small v hull) was around a hundred bucks. A nice apartment was a hundred a month,. usually they would throw in utilities for that. Entry level pay was around 90 cent an hour for a like burger flipping job and union car workers made about three bucks and change plus bennies (what I made).

Speaking of burgers, five mickey'ds plus a shake and fries..you got five cents back change from a dollar, and we still had a lot of "real" money back then, silver dollars and halves and quarters and dimes. Note how silver dollars have retained purchasing parity all these years. Indoor movies were fifty cents and you got two movies for that. Everything was made in USA, you didn't hardly see anything at all foreign made.

Funny how as less and less is made in the US, they have to both keep inflating the buck to worthlessness, plus tens of millions of jobs poof away never to return. The wonders of short term profits and wall street globalization.

We had a growing middle class then (not evaporating like it is today), one single blue collar job paid all the bills for a family, paid for a car, vacation, health insurance, savings, all of that. Not a high end blue collar job, just about any blue collar regular job, anything just one step above burger flipping.

check with today..some things get better..some get worse.

IMO though, silver is still a "deal" compared to their paper crap..and will just keep getting better.

Lawn mowers got better. My pops had an old gas engine one I had to try and hoss wrestle around, weighed like a tank, didn't cut worth crap. Also "snow blowers". These had long wooden handles and curved blades on the end, you would scoop up the snow and blow it over yonder off the driveway into the yard..before your dad (or you) had to go to work...

And we all had pet sabre toothed badgers that would follow us to school across the lava fields, in the snow, uphill, both ways, barefoot because shoes weren't invented yet, 16 mile, after working 30 hours a day down to the mines, and we had mammoth steaks at lunch time 0_o ..and we liked it...

First street legal vehicle was a '76 Honda 550. Minty condition, but a gas pig. About 35mpg with a 4 gallon tank. My later '78 750 would double that if I was nice to it. Even if I wasn't it was good for 40-45, AND had a 5 gallon tank.

For a car, a '71 Grand Prix. Lots of miles, but it went like stink, looked pretty good, and was a decent highway drive. I'd like to fix one up one day, just for fun. 300hp 400, not the 385hp 455. Put a water pump in it, and that's about it.

I will almost guarantee that no one had my first ride as their first ride! Most here have probably never even seen one!

It was a 1966 Renault Dauphine, 50ci engine in the rear, water cooled.

I dont have pics and its long gone but it looked like this, but not this good;

thumbnail.aspx

Chevy Chevette, vinal seats, am radio, hand crank windows, 2 door hatchback

Back