What Wildlife Do You See, While in the Woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John,
My MoM had a bunch of turkeys (mother & kids)that would come up & eat out of her hand. She couldnt touch them though. I think she would feed them slices of bread. They would grab & go with it. They slowly disappeared one at a time due to someone in the neighborhood harvesting them...Rick/Creep

John, Check out the wild turkey federations website:
http://www.bowhunting.net/wildturkey.net/Articles/NWTF-2002-Dec23-Facts.html

Some neat screensavers and wallpaper downloads!

On really cold days I have seen them stick to the woods, out of the wind and they poof themselfs up into big round balls...wings cocked forward and all fluffed up. They stick their heads under a wing to keep from sufficating. If those nose holes on their beaks get clogged with ice they can die. We have only had hunting since '91 in my county...and the snow doesn't seem to stack up like it did when when I was a kid, so I don't know about deep snows impact on their travels.

Wait till spring when the Tom's come to the call. Really cool to get one strutting in on you!

Sap

Wild turkey is good

The other day I was dropping a 60' douglas fir, and I startled a large black bear out of the tree next to me, needless to say I was terrified, but so was he. We both ran seperate ways. Lesson learned...check for snags, widowmakers,slope, clearing, escape, and bears in trees nearby.-Matt

I've seen lots of deer while cutting timber and some turkeys. I jumped a black bear monday, a friend of mine asked me why I don't carry a gun while logging and I replied "The bear has to get past my 066G with its 24'' bar and chisel cutters before he can get to me and IF he finally manages then in the end we'll be tit for tat on the damages!!!":D

That's it Ryan, no self respecting bear, grizzly or otherwise is gonna come near a chainsaw with a guy who has balls.
Fook the gun, it just gets in the way, unless you cold cock the bear over the snout with the walnut stock.
Now that's class, and why wouldn't it be?
John

Just wanted to say, lets thank our lucky stars if we are done in by a bear, puma, or wolf, ha, ha, that would be glory, what an eptitaph. No glory in dieing on the freeway. Be one with your surroundings, have no fear, dont think for one minute you are better than a Oak or Pine tree and you will always be safe.
No need to overpower your ecosystem, be one with nature, as you know it. No fear, is where it's at, and why wouldn't it be?
John

On second thought, I am at least equal to the Black and White Poplar, that seem to be sheding their leaves as of late.
Which Way To The Beach?
Humphrey Dumbroski
box 7
Flatbush Alberta

Use low fat vegetable oil in your Bear saw and you can butcher it at the same time!

My oppologises if I dont come across as religious as some of us, but if there is redemption, then I will catch the last bus to heaven.
Frank's Pranks

Should I rinse the bar oil tank out with alchool first to get all the bar oil out or should I just add the veggie oil??? Thanks

While coming out of the bush today, I caught a rare Canadian Condor poking back some roadhash, it landed on a fence post and I took the shot, although a bit blurry.
John

Then I came across some very, very rare Turkeys that were eating wild grapes. The flocks I see are not getting depleted by predators.
John

It aint really wildlife but it is a big wild looking bee. Are any of you guys having to deal with those english hornets? I have been working in the woods all my life but have only noticed them in the woods over the last 5-6yrs. Were cutting in a woods full of yellowjackets and english hornets I have probably been stung 35 times already by the yellowjackets but not by the English hornets. I have a buddy working in the woods as well up the road from me and his skidder man got stung eleven times..........???? near killed him and his cutter got stung on the back of the neck, it hit a nerve and temporialy blinded him. anybody else having bee trouble? ...............Wade

Jacob, You know you would think or maybe it's just me that all the rain would have drown them out or drove them up into trees to nest or atleast above ground in something but all of them I have gotten into have been in the ground accept for one........it was in a forked water maple and I cut right down through the middle of it..... got the Sh$t stung out of me left my saw in the tree........I had just filled it up......... it ran for about forty five minutes...... quit so I went back over yanked the saw out got the sh$t stung out of me again. I think I am a bee magnet I have been stung about 150 times in the last two years...........I am one with the bees, Wade

Newfie, There is such a fine line with those things one day your working around a nest of them and their not to mad and the next the mad as hell and banging the Sh$t out of you and they will chase you for a mile................I hate those dirty b$st$rds....Hope you stay free of the bees............Wade

Latest posts

Back