what will it lift?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother is a lineman, and has considered doing the Helo stuff... A very unique, highly trained, specialty field. Kudos to you!

Tell him to quit considering. People who think about doing it often look back and wish they did it. It's pretty easy, but hands down, bar none the most dangerous job in the world. It's just more calculated than other dangerous jobs.

Thanks for the kudos. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best kept secret in the world. Lots of money for doing an easy job.

some people just have what it takes,for me you could not pay me enough duckets to be a bird on the wire,at the risk of being cliche' this really is genuinely"putting it all on the line"i thank you and your brothers for keeping the lights on!:rock:

You better hope that pilot has a steady hand and excellent depth perception. Whew.

Most "platform taxi" pilots are either young guys, 25-30 or old military pilots.

The best I flew with was a one eyed drunk. We've found a lot has to do with the bird. A 500's pretty smooth to work off of, but can't rig heavy. A long ranger is a bit bouncy and more affected by wind but can lift a bit more. An A-star B2 is what I like the most, but I'm a bigger guy than some of the guys that prefer hughes 500's.

I can see why you like the B-2. The 500 is great for slinging but not the most steady machine for your line of work.

First off, this is a great thread.

Second, the best pilots I've flown with are old military pilots. But that's Hueys. Never done any heli-logging but I'd love to give it a try

Third, 50-100K bf a week is pretty damned good with a 2 man crew. We can't do close to that but we're also working on steep ground with some LONG skids.

:cheers:

Oh yeah, and the wood market still sucks around here with no sign of turning around. I guess the only reason anyone is cutting wood here is to pay the bills. Everyone loses in this scenario...

...well since i ask too many questions anyways,i wonder who would be the guy qualified enough to eyeball a turn as far as weight?(chokeset)i have fell and skidded and thought i knew how heavy it was?haha until i became a loaderman and started getting weight tickets back from the mill i had no clue...what i am asking is to get a proper load for that heli where he can just fly away,what kind of groundman qualifies for that?

Back