What wood is really yellow on the inside and smells really funny when burnt/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKO-KID

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I thought it was hickory I had found by the look of the bark. But am now thinking it is some kind of locust. It is a bright yellow inside and has a very weird smell to it when burned in my wood stove.

Mullberry ? That thin scaly bark ?

Thats Redbud or 24.7MMBTU's a cord in the firebreather.

Has a seed pod like a bean ( legume) a dark green leaf that is circular/heart shaped and was one of the first to drop leaves in cold weather ?

EDIT: OK , the thrid picture is Mullberry, that first and second one sure made me think of Redbud. I guess it was the thin dark pubescent bark. They both split real nice and the inside color is very close.

Mullberry, well even better than Rebud for BTUs just takes longer to season out.

Last edited:
I don't think it is mulberry at least not like the mulberry we normally have around here. The tree was about 18 inches in diameter. also it was 20+ feet long.

It had leaves like this

Leaves are wrong for Kentucky Coffee Tree, wood would be more red/orange for cherry and the leaves are wrong for that also, Wrong leaves for mulberry.......It looks more like a locust to me. Haven't burnt much locust so I can't help w/the smell.

I burn a lot of locust honey locust is yellow when you first split it and darkens
in a week or two .Burns very hot .Easy to split and has a leave that looks like
you shown. It has a bit of a smell when you first split it but nothing in the fire
.But i am no tree expert by far. If it is locust dont load up the fire until you
see how hot it burns.

Back