What wood is really yellow on the inside and smells really funny when burnt/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not Mulberry looks like Locust when split has a stinky sox kinda smell almost like some crab apple trees have.

not Mulberry looks like Locust when split has a stinky sox kinda smell almost like some crab apple trees have.

I think it might be locust from what everyone is saying. Because I was splitting the wood in the garage and then the garage started stinky. I would say it is kind of like a stinky sock or sour smell to it. The smell coming out of the chimney seems to be normal wood burning smell.

i realize its not this, but has anyone ever burned bois d'arc(pronounced bowed ark) possibly a member of the mulberry family?

Bois d'Arc is another name for Hedge(bodark)Your wood looks like a relative.Those who can burn nothing but Hedge.It is in a class by itself.

I don't think you have Locust.The bark doesn't have deep fissures.

Last edited:
I have the same wood that I am burning. i have no idea what it is either but it is plentiful here in PA. VERY wet inside.....ok for heat, not the best, and somewhat stringy.

Along my crick bed I have a few like that, It seems like it is in the locust family. The top on mine was dead as he:censored: but when i dropped her, she bled like a stuck pig for about 3 weeks.

If it is locust I could have my stove run at about 350* all banked down. It is a wonder wood.

I won't take any credit if it turns out to be right cause someone already mentioned it on here - Kentucky Coffee Tree.

First pic is the original posted and second is Coffee Tree bark. I also agree with someone who said the bark is not deeply fissured enough for Locust.

Latest posts

Back