What woodstove do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We burn with an old inefficient Riteway. In fact I call her Black Betty. She is big, black and always hungry! She takes 24 inch pieces of firewood and I can load her good with about 10-12 good size pieces at a time. She heats the whole house since she is tied in with the duct work and a blower unit that kicks on once she gets to a certain temp.
timber--i have one of these also--and i burn very little wood---dont fill the stove with wood---except when go to bed at night--its far more efficient by not filling it--just enough to keep a bed of coals on the bottom--and i or two small pieces--i finally figured this out after owning it for 30 + years!!!!! believe 35 this year--and can still get parts for it---

I'm still looking for an (best or almost the best) EPA add on wood stove...
Still looking any help wood be great.

See I still think Rspike should get an OWB....:ices_rofl:

Rspike that is a pretty stove, I dont think I ever seen a red stove.cool

Thanks MS-310 .

Pacific Energy (steel plate / non-cat combuster).
Jotul (cast iron / non-cat combuster) .
Hearthstone (soapstone / non-cat combuster).
Woodstock (soapstone-cat combuster)

From everything i know and have learned up to this point these would be my top 4 to research choices , I would still go with the Pacific Energy (Summit) stove if i had to do it all over again . Everybody's "needs" are different and tastes are different as well. I heat 100% with wood .

Check out ********** for an overload of wood stove information.

http://www.**********/econtent/index.php/forums/

I have a harmon sf- 360 wood coal boiler.Soon to be replaced.:deadhorse:
Later RCI

I have a pacific energy pacific fireplace insert. Wish I had the room for a summit.

We currently have a Soft Flame made by Long Mfg. out of N.C. No baffles or anything. Off of the logs straight out the stove pipe. I think it is around 32% efficient.

I am seriously considering a Pacific Energy Summit for next year. The summit seems to get good reviews and I need a stove that will heat 3000 sq. feet (including a partially finished basement).

The soft flame stove we have will heat the house, but we are sure going through the wood!!

We currently have a Soft Flame made by Long Mfg. out of N.C. No baffles or anything. Off of the logs straight out the stove pipe. I think it is around 32% efficient.

I am seriously considering a Pacific Energy Summit for next year. The summit seems to get good reviews and I need a stove that will heat 3000 sq. feet (including a partially finished basement).

The soft flame stove we have will heat the house, but we are sure going through the wood!!

You'll feel like you've died and gone to Heaven when you get a more efficient stove! A friend of mine is in the same boat; he has a Schrader stove from the late 1970's, and it's a real wood pig! He's gonna update this year, too.

I see the Summit has a fairly positive response. A couple of posts back, I see there were 4 recommended. For the price the Summit looks like the way to go. Am I on the right track?

I see the Summit has a fairly positive response. A couple of posts back, I see there were 4 recommended. For the price the Summit looks like the way to go. Am I on the right track?

I don't think that you'd be disappointed with one. Like you said, people here talk highly of them, and the one pictured above is a very handsome stove, for sure. Good luck!

I've got a Blaze Princess. Kindof a gay name, but it came with the house. I was skeptical when I first saw it, but man what a stove. The front door comes off, and you can put a screen on it, and have a regular fireplace...which is good for romancing the ladies!

Now to just find some ladies....

Are those floats in the milkcrate? I ask because I have a bunch. Some my uncle brought back from Europe in the early 70's and some I have collected.

How do you all keep your glass so clean on stoves and inserts with a glass door? Mine is creosoted over and I burn my insert with full air 95% of the time.

Thanks
Shipper

Last edited:
I have an early 80's Orley that came with the house. This is an ebay pic. Mine is quite different now as I take it out every few years and weld in a few modifications. Mine doesn't have glass anymore because I got tired of cleaning it. The draft has been changed to the back with a guillotine type draft control. All the fancy ironwork is gone. It will hold a fire with three or four pieces of fir all night, usually with the house warmer than when I went to bed. About 1/2 the time it will still have coals after 18 hours when I get home from work.

attachment.php

How do you all keep your glass so clean on stoves and inserts with a glass door? Mine is creosoted over and I burn mine insert with full air 95% of the time.

Thanks
Shipper

Alot of them have the draft that comes in near the glass and the incoming fresh air keeps smoke off the glass. Mine wasn't like that which was why I tossed the glass and welded in a piece of 1/4" steel.

I find if I can burn my old klunker stove at 450 F or higher, and use seasoned wood, no glass issues. It will even clean up on its own after overnight burns if I let it get hot.

I do find if I have some wood that's not quite dry, it will cause the glass to get black fairly quickly. Also, keeping the wood off of the glass as much as possible, helps.

Daka add-on wood furnace, 3rd year now, does a fine job on our 1840's two-story, 3000sq/ft uninsulated farmhouse. 36 windows, 5 entrance doors, plenty of fresh air in this place on a very windy day. Just figured out how to maintain 75*+ in the house this month,a bit warm for our tastes, but nice to wake up to, and the basement is warmer than it's ever been.

How do you all keep your glass so clean on stoves and inserts with a glass door? Mine is creosoted over and I burn my insert with full air 95% of the time.

Thanks
Shipper

I use Wurth Liquid Pitch and Resin Remover, which we use at work to remove pitch and resin from saw blades and planer knives. It's pricey and may not be easy to find, but works well on the creosote build up on the glass insert. You could also try oven cleaner. Be careful and read the label. Some brands will etch the glass. Try a small area in the corner of the glass.

I use Wurth Liquid Pitch and Resin Remover, which we use at work to remove pitch and resin from saw blades and planer knives. It's pricey and may not be easy to find, but works well on the creosote build up on the glass insert. You could also try oven cleaner. Be careful and read the label. Some brands will etch the glass. Try a small area in the corner of the glass.

Thanks for the reply. I have used oven cleaner and it works ok I guess. The only thing is, it only takes about 1 hour of burning and you cant tell I used it.:bowdown:

Shipper

Thanks for the reply. I have used oven cleaner and it works ok I guess. The only thing is, it only takes about 1 hour of burning and you cant tell I used it.:bowdown:

Shipper

Also, after you clean the glass, wash it with dishsoap but leave a film on it. It'll make getting the creosote off later easier. ;)

Back