What would you do? MS361 & 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psrumors

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last year I replaced my 455 Rancher with a MS361 and then my dad returned the 268(nonXP) I bought new in the mid 90s (still in awesome shape)

Both are great saws and both are stock. I hate to turn either lose. The 361 is a bit faster and lighter than the 268 but I absolutely hate the flip caps on the 361. I've used both for general around the house work and ultimately like them both. I know the 268 can become a 272xp quick and easy but the 268 is bone stock and in very nice shape.

It comes down to I just don't need both saws. The idea of a smaller saw sounds good for smaller stuff and limbing but which do I get rid of, that is the hard part.

Value is not the issue, there is sentimental value to the 268 but I like having a Stihl because of the dealer support close by.

Decisions.....

I'm a husky guy and I say keep the 361. Sell the 268 and get a nice 50cc, 346xp or 550xp.
If you must sell it that is. I would keep them all!

Thanks for all the opinions. I doubt I keep both, we just don't deal with enough wood to justify both plus it will put money into my smaller saw and maybe a poll saw fund.

We shall see.

Thanks for all the opinions. I doubt I keep both, we just don't deal with enough wood to justify both plus it will put money into my smaller saw and maybe a poll saw fund.

We shall see.

I'm in the "keep them both" camp too. It's not about how much wood you deal with, just about saws... I've got four, possibly acquiring a fifth this weekend. Every time my wife and I go cut I take them all. She see's them and says "Really? How many saws do you need? You can only use one at a time". She doesn't get it either... how each one has it's own feel and sound. How running each one brings it's own rewards...

I've got nothing for the "smaller saw and maybe a poll saw fund" part though! Enjoy, whatever you do!

Duane

I would keep the Stihl and with the proceeds from the Husky I would purchase the Stihl HT131

After 8 years of using the flippy caps I still for the life of me can't figure out what everybody's problem is with them. Sure they are the answer to a question that no one asked but other than that??? For the first time ever I'm going to recommend selling a 361. Get it in the hands of someone who can get past the damn caps and enjoy it!

Unless you NEED the money.....don't sell either as they both look like plum saws. Saws like them sell fast and are hard to replace for what you would get for them. You looked after them and l bet if you sell one you will regret doing so but if you must...sell the stihl as its the easiest to replace and this is coming from a guy that's more stihl than husky. That 268 just looks to good to sell if your into saws lMO. You probably do need a 40cc light sabre to compliment what you have. Ms201 rear handle, ms241, 545 or similar.

Latest posts

Back