What ya Eats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky sawman

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I gotta do something, I got an offer to go cutten timber. My problem that im getten older is I cant find a food that keeps my energy going for more than an hour.
So the question for fellow timber cutters, what do you guys eat for breakfast and lunch?

Coffee helps. When I got older, I found taking a thermos with my mocha in it helped perk me up in the afternoon.

Eat protein for breakfast. Lunch? I usually packed something that could be munched on while driving or walking. Stuff that could be crammed in a pocket. A sandwich which often got smashed and wheat thins or nuts.

Now, from the detritus left behind, Donettos, made by Hostess so they probably aren't made, seem to be eaten a lot by fallers and riggin crews.

Last edited:
Bacon sammy and diet pepsi for breakfast. Having the same thing for 15 years now. Why change what works for me. Lunch is usually something in a can. Easy to carry with me in the woods. Heat it up on the skidder exhaust. Its all good.:rock:

Bacon sandwich with 2 stomped eggs, I pack 3 of them in my back pack. You can try the Gatorade packs... I believe it is the #1? (concentrate packets). They work very well and pack alot of vitamins and electrolytes.

I cut for some Amish a couple years ago, their food stuck to the ribs! Kinda odd and sounds gross but here was my breakfast:

Coffee soup = sweet milk (right out the cow) with coffee mixed in...poured over a sunny side egg...
(here's the gross part), all that is listed above, poured over...wait for it....BLOOD PUDDING!!! LULLZ!!! I ate it because everyone at the table was watching me! It wasn't really all that bad. :laugh:

I'm a burritophile. Slap all the good stuff in a tortilla and eat the container!

That's the only good thing that has come from that part of the world...........except Tequila.

I'm fat now so I've cut back allot some of the Brits or Irish members might recognize this...

Two eggs, over easy, hash browns, two sausage links (chipolatas ), white pudding (its like sausage made from wheat and some other stuff) fried mushroom, fried toe mater, shoulder or loin bacon, half a loaf of soda bread (or more) butter, marmalade, coffee and if your a real porker a bowl of corn flakes. If yer real particular you could replace the browns with beans, and throw some black pudding in there, but its got a funny texture IMO

If done correctly you shouldn't need a lunch and just a pint or 5 for dinner

I gotta do something, I got an offer to go cutten timber. My problem that im getten older is I cant find a food that keeps my energy going for more than an hour.
So the question for fellow timber cutters, what do you guys eat for breakfast and lunch?

funky sawman;4050228- TRY THIS!!!!! ---- one whole grain tortilla,smear old fashioned{the kind that needs stirred}, place one banana onto the p.butter,use chocolate syrup like mustard on a dog. and sprinkle w/ crushed nuts or hemp hearts{got mine @ costco}. grated cheese and or cream cheese. fold sides to seal it then wrap it in tin foil. it can be placed right in a fire an warmed up.I think my ex stumbled onto this in backwooods home magazine. I like honey instead of choc.syrup. I wasnt sure of the texture at first but after out hiking 7 other elk hunters and being the 2nd oldest in the group i was hooked. that was about 4 yrs. ago. I eat one on the way to the brush and it holds me till i get back to the truck. take 2 and if ya dont eat it that day-well, i got into a situation and ate one that was at the bottom of my hunting pack that was ten days old. i was very glad it was there.At daylight i was able to pack a boned out elk out without help.{two trips}. and it only costs about $00.65 to make one. HOPE THIS WORKS !!!!

Check this out. Disregard the diet stuff and do the formula to see how many calories a day your body requires. It might surprise you.

Metabolism Calculator

I don't know much about nutrition but I always try to eat a good breakfast and lunch and go heavy on the meat with both. Peanutbutter is good but take it easy on the jelly. For quick energy snacks I like those little boxes of raisins or a couple of bags of peanuts. I try to stay away from sugar snacks after lunch...when the sugar wears off it makes me feel draggy.

I like to carry coffee in the winter and Gatorade is good any time. I've tried Red Bull and those 5 Hour Energy things and all they did was make me jittery with no real increase in energy. I try to stay hydrated.

Now, all that being said and despite all my good advice about avoiding sugar and eating healthy...I still like to stop in the morning on the way to the woods and have some plain old ordinary 7-11 coffee. And Donettos. If there aren't any Donettos an eclair will do just fine.:laugh:

Breakfast is always the most important meal of the day. Make it count!

Sausage and eggs, with whole wheat toast and a banana holds me steady pretty good.

Always make the protein the highest portion of your breakfast calories (followed by fats); and for that, you just can't beat the power of eggs.

Having a high protein to fat ratio keeps your blood sugar steady and keeps your metabolism steady.

Definitely stay away from Red Bull, Monster, and that 5 Hour crap. Nobody needs that junk unless you like wasting money and setting yourself up for diabetes.

That is alot of great replys, thanks guys. Singing the paperwork tommorow for my new job, time to get this out of shape guy back to the woods were I belong.
I aint got a saw but the guy is letting me borrow a 288 husky, so Im gonna need so gooood food to keep me going with that heavy saw.

great thread funky :cheers:

eggs, bacon and potatotes(scaloped this week) for breakfast, favorite lunch is leftover red beans and rice- warmed on the engine or sterno, pends on the day

Tuna tuna tuna, beans, granola bars, and any local woods fare . I feel like the tuna gives me a good amount of energy. If I eat a fat breakfast I feel lethargic.

Tuna tuna tuna, beans, granola bars, and any local woods fare . I feel like the tuna gives me a good amount of energy. If I eat a fat breakfast I feel lethargic.

"Lethargic" sounds like what I fell like every day. Turning wrenches in a not so well heated shop every day do get the ole heart pumpen very hard so that prollys explains the Lethargic reaction.

I usually either make sticky pbj breakfast burritos or nuke a potato and add cheese to get started. A fried steak and eggs from my chickens work as well when time permits. Lunch is a sandwich or 2. Mid afternoon is a vitamin pack, fruit, maybe sardines, and an energy drink.

I eat whatever is in the fridge for breakfast. And lately lunch has been pork and beans, viena sausages, nabs, pepsi, and little debbie cakes. If you are going to be in the truck or in an enclosed cab, I would skip the pork and beans.:bad_smelly:

Carry beef jerky, and yogurt covered granola bars around with you in the woods, eat more or less every chance you get rather than 3 times a day...works better.

simple

PROTEIN is your friend, I cant stress this enough !

CARBS are your mortal enemy !

I changed my way way of thinking about what goes in my body and it has changed my life. I had high colestoral and borderline diabetic, now I am normal and my energy level is through the roof ! Dont put any made made garbage in your body and it will thank you. i can now go all day long cutting firewood, dropping trees or whatever and dont get tired. A bit stiff after I quit for the day yes lol

Good luck !

Dog_River

Dont put any made made garbage in your body and it will thank you.

Dog_River

No it won't, it won't thank me at all. Quite the opposite... it will get all confused and irritated and aggravated and out of synch with the natural order of things.

Nothing man made? No Donettos? That's just depressing.

No it won't, it won't thank me at all. Quite the opposite... it will get all confused and irritated and aggravated and out of synch with the natural order of things.

Nothing man made? No Donettos? That's just depressing.

You can eat your cookies and probably the Donettos. Woman made is OK. :laugh:

Have Donettos reappeared on the shelves of all the mini-marts yet? I'd check our local one but they might be pretty old Donettos. Maybe not, they get a lot of log truck driver business. :msp_smile:

Latest posts

Back