what you guys got burning in this cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just filled the stove up with some good seasoned Ash, house is toasty warm, I think it's supposed to be about zero or a few degrees below tonight...
Ash.jpg

Locust. Its currently -1 here. Calling for -6 tonight. 72 in house.

Just filled the stove up with some good seasoned Ash, house is toasty warm, I think it's supposed to be about zero or a few degrees below tonight...
Ash.jpg

looks toasty...i think its suppose to be a couple degrees here to...give or take a few.

White oak, ash, black cherry, and a bit of #2 heating oil to keep the pipes from freezing downstairs.

Wow, that purple cedar is really cool. What the H is hedge? I've been saving the red oak and black cherry for this......-15 last night, -5 today, -20 tonight. The elm is good (what I burn 80% of the time), but won't hold coals like the oak.
Scott

Wow, that purple cedar is really cool. What the H is hedge? I've been saving the red oak and black cherry for this......-15 last night, -5 today, -20 tonight. The elm is good (what I burn 80% of the time), but won't hold coals like the oak.
Scott

Hedge is osage orange wood. It is one of the the hardest, most dense woods in North America, with the most BTU's, I believe. It also carves and turns well and makes beautiful bows.

Hedge. Only one piece at a time. I've heard it gets quite hot. This is the first for me!!! Am I going to wake up with a puddle of molten iron on the floor in the morning!

OK, Ive heard of osage, but I don't think we have any around here (central WI)
Scott

Hedge. Only one piece at a time. I've heard it gets quite hot. This is the first for me!!! Am I going to wake up with a puddle of molten iron on the floor in the morning!

Yep...JK...My dad did warp the firebox on his free standing wood stove w/ it though...

Yep, High heat value, very dense and a bugger to cut.

Thorns on smaller branches, lots of sticky sap, seems to attract dirt, makes sparks fly from chain, and every farmer around here tacked a few strands of barbed wire to it for good measure!

Great wood:clap:

Old tires, styrofoam, and PVC pipe.:jawdrop:

JK mixed hardwood but would love to try coal.

I like the names of all the hardwoods found across N.A. and I am sure it all makes really good heat if seasoned well. Here in N.S. Canada we have some really good hardwoods for firewood with rock maple being the most sought after, but if you want real heat then 2 year old seasoned Beech is what you want. We used beech cut into 3 to 4 " squares to burn in the forge and when a bunch of it is burned and smothered for a hour or so it will melt steel with extra oxygen added. It also has warped more woodstoves around here by inexperienced wood burners than any other wood could possibly do. Its best burned one piece alternated with other wood in between times. I have several cord in reserve and currently burning it tonight. - 17 HERE NOW.
Pioneerguy600

hickory but, i,m going to break out that coal I have been saving for this nasty cold weather. I get the hickory nice and hot then star mixing with coal works great!!

I used to be in the coal business. I would go down to the "bone yard" and pick up some big lumps. Nothing better than a good hot coal fire. You just need to be a little careful as coal can be hard on many fire boxes.

JQ

i have a bunch of locust saved for weather like this started last night with it
had the house at 76 deg before i knew it.

Its minus 1F here. And 76 in the house. LOCUST!! That about my favorite wood to burn. I'm gonna mill some too. Robb

Back