what you guys got burning in this cold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Donald (#74) as long as they're made on a CPM pellet mill, go for it!

I'm burning mostly elm I cut with my vintage McCullochs, some ash (Jonsered 930) thrown in overnight to make it last. Most of the big old two story house is 74°, much nicer in the basement...

Natural gas keeps the garage and workshop very comfortable and the cat she brought in out of the cold doesn't mind sleeping on the nice warm floor.

Waterloo said offically -31°F last night, my car said it is 57° in the garage.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had a pile of hedge posts piled behind the barn that we cut back in the early 90s . I cut them up and they burn good Ive been putting in a couple chunks of those in at night mixed with green ash and been burning seasoned hickory during the day.

Norway maple in the Vermont Castings catalytic insert. I got the 30k btu insert when I should have sprung for the 50k unit. I was afraid I'd cook myself but when the temp drops below 30F that 30k unit starts to fall behind.
Anyway, I hated that :censored: maple that stood too close to my house. Branches into the electric service and it leaned towards the house. Cut it down in July of 07, split and stacked it immediately, and it is throwing some great heatright now. This old house (1925) is not happy with the single digit temps we're having here in Philly, though. Too much heat leak!

That is a beautiful wide stove. How long of a piece of wood can it take? Does it have an ash pan? Makes me warm just to look at it!

Hey Thanks for the stove compliment. My wife and I love this stove. This is it's 14th Winter as our exclusive source of heat. I cut 18" but it will easily take 24". It is trimmed in real gold so it never tarnishes. It's called a Country Comfort- manufactured by Orriville Products of Ohio. Will put out from 10,900 to 39,200 BTU/hour. Yes it has an ash pan. In summary, this stove Rocks! This is a chainsaw forum- soooo- let it be known that all wood that passes through this stove has been cut by me with one or more chainsaws. :)

Red Elm

I burn mostly Red Elm, and some White Elm. I have not had a chance to burn Beech or Locust, but for around here Red Elm is the best firewood that you can find. Most of the Elms are dieing of Dutch Elm and so there are thousands of them standing dead, just go out and cut one down. Today it has warmed up to a balmy 21 degrees, but it got down to around 30 below the last couple of days, and a lot of wood went through the fires. I have a Longwood in the basement which will take up to a 5 foot log originally, but I filled about 2 feet of the back with "glacial erratic's", when I was a kid everyone called them "****** heads" but the is no longer politically correct according to Susan, suppose shes right, anyway they hold the heat a long time. In her glass studio we have a Woodland, and in the "fireplace room" we have an insert, so I get to cut wood for 3 stoves. My son and I are going out today and cut some Red Elm, since it is so warm out.

I bet the guy from Nashua IA on here got his saws from Leroy's in Nashua, one of the best dealers anywhere. A really great guy. JR

Back