Whats a good splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
look punk i don't do drugs or drink and have Ben in the tree bis for 39 year now

I think he would be a good guy to hire,being that he like's to work for next to nothing.
Heating oil right now is 3.50-3.90 a gal here so $ 200+ a cord is pretty reasonable.

There is a place by me that sells kiln dried cords for $450. Plus delivery and stacking charges...

If your splitting 10 cords by hand a good splitter will increase your production a lot and you should be able to produce a lot more in the same amount of time.

I said "SOMEONE" not you... learn to read.

Dude, you aren't going to fit in good here unless you chill a bit. Your last 3 post here are not cool.

Wood prices vary a lot with location. Low in rural areas and high closer to the big cities.

Good splitter, Super Split . I was doing around 10 cords a year by hand for over 20 years, then got the SS and started doin 20 in a lot less time.

OP, when I was your age, I sold firewood in Tallahassee Florida. I got $50 for a short bed truck full, about 1/3 cord. That was over 30 years ago! I now live in southern rural Missouri and that same amount of wood sells for the same money today, 30+ years later. Location, Location, Location...

Stihlgreenman

The huskee 22 ton splitter would be the perfect match.You do not need a $3000 dollar spitter to make a little extra cash.

The price of wood has to do with location as mentioned.Check local adds and price yours around the same,customer satisfaction is key to running any successful business.

Yes

My mom and I used to buy wood because I was to young to do the work and couldnt drive, she works full time and isnt the biggest woman so she had no time and no want to do the work of cutting firewood. My father well hes not my father, when I was about 2 years old mom kicked him out for a drinking problem a big one. I met him once and he was drunk and had no clue who or what I was. So that explains my hatred with drinking. That being said once I got my licence I started using my paps saw a little 14" listed below. I have been cutting all our wood then some. Every year I gain joy in cutting and splitting. I think ill be a little faster now with my new saw. The average dried full oak cord is about 185. Selling mine cheap has got me quite the customer base I tell people im out and they are upset because they have to go to those 185-200 places. I have people that paid already for my next cords. If I had the means of producing more wood I could easily put the high price people out of the firewood biz with a smile on my face.

My mom and I used to buy wood because I was to young to do the work and couldnt drive, she works full time and isnt the biggest woman so she had no time and no want to do the work of cutting firewood. My father well hes not my father, when I was about 2 years old mom kicked him out for a drinking problem a big one. I met him once and he was drunk and had no clue who or what I was. So that explains my hatred with drinking. That being said once I got my licence I started using my paps saw a little 14" listed below. I have been cutting all our wood then some. Every year I gain joy in cutting and splitting. I think ill be a little faster now with my new saw. The average dried full oak cord is about 185. Selling mine cheap has got me quite the customer base I tell people im out and they are upset because they have to go to those 185-200 places. I have people that paid already for my next cords. If I had the means of producing more wood I could easily put the high price people out of the firewood biz with a smile on my face.

Not so fast with the thinking in your last line there junior. I am one of the higher priced guys in my area at $200 a cord - delivery fee over 10 miles and I sell all I can produce- around 60-75 cords year in and year out. People will pay for a quality product and if that's what you sell, a guy trying to undercut it won't hurt you one bit.

You know why they pay in advance? Because they are basically stealing it from you, they know this and that's a fact!

If you came to this place with an open mind and dropped the I know it all attitude, you may be surprised at what you can learn.

Stihlgreenman, I cannot set on the sidelines any longer letting you disrespect the others on this forum. There are people here who have a hell of a lot more life experience than a mere 18 years. It is time for you to send your pride packing and listen. We were all 18 once and thought we knew it all. We did not become the successes that we all are by treating everyone with the disrespect and contempt that come across in your posts. Listen to the guys with experience and you will find your profit margains will be higher and you will work smarter with less effort to make that money. Older people work smarter, because they have learned from some of the same mistakes that all 18 year olds make.

You kids try to demand respect but you dont realize that it must be earned. Lets see how your tune changes when you are 50.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

$185 not 185 pieces.... I found a place that sells at $120 for mix hardwood I mean its mixed but still half decent.... so if they wanted they could buy cheaper. Im sure a could charge more but I find no need with most people giving me $50-$100 just to stack it or throw it in thier truck most make 2 trips because the bed if thier trucks are to small.

Stihlgreenman,
It's good that you are eager to work and have ambition. I have to agree with others here that you need to tone down the attitude. Cost of living varies a lot by area. When you get older and do some traveling it might amaze you how much more things cost, especially in New York. It surprised me that Tomtrees was that low. He offered you some advice and you slam him? Tacky. You could learn a lot from a guy like him as he does more in a year than you've done in you're life. Safe to say his customers like him. Tell us how much a fast food meal costs there Tom.

With becoming an adult you will start having more responsibilities. House payment, utilities, kids and food and such. If you're out of school and have your own place you probably are allready seeing this. If your living at home, out of school, you should be paying your Mom for your share of food, utilities, rent and such. You don't want to become a burden as you said she has to work full time to makes ends meet.

With your current production I'd suggest a smaller splitter. No need to sink money into right now with the amount you do. As you grow you can upgrade and sell the low end model for probably close to 1/2 what you paid. Keep the overhead low if you will.

Me and my Dad(75 years old) cut twice what you do just for our own use. We do it in our free time for a little over a month in the winter. I've used to money saved from heating bills to pay for the heating system itself, saws and supplies and built another splitter to make it easier. No need to have the best of everything at the start. Let the profits pay for the upgrades and your day to day obligations won't suffer. Just some real world advice.

Latest posts

Back