What's a used Stihl MS260 worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This one's cut 5 cords of wood, has an 18" bar, stock safety chain, opened muffler & fully adj carb.

The Husky 346 keeps nagging at the back of my brain & I'm thinking if I could sell my 260 and not have to lay down much more money to get a new 346, I'd seriously consider that route.

Any ideas?

Thanks Mike. That's what I was hoping to hear. I guess mine would be considered "newer".?..??

If so, & I could get $325, I wouldn't have to fork out much as it seems I remember hearing about new 346's for around $350...some where, don't recall where.

Hmmm.....

For comparison, I got a price on a new 260 pro today, it was $469.

For the small amount of price difference between the 260 and the 260 pro, I think I would pay the extra, unless there is some reason you don't want the features of the pro because of a disadvantage I do not understand.

What you are saying suggests that the standard 260 would be the way to go. Do compression releases ever get carboned up and leak?

Yes the compression releases can get gummed up, but the converse is the starter mechanism can get mangled much earlier.

The "IntelliCarb" is not a gimmick.  Your old Homelites (and others) have the same feature which was lost with carbs being mounted outside the filtered portion of the airbox.  The feature works well and is entirely separate from any adjustability (or lack thereof).

The non-adjustable oiler seems to pump more than the other, even when set to full, because the adjustable oiler only runs when the chain is actually spinning and the other pumps whenever the engine is running.  If you never idled the non-Pro saw, they'd put out the same amount, I guess.

All that being said, I'd not make a recommendation of one over the other.

Glen

The non-adjustable oiler is not supposed to pump oil when the saw is only idling, like every Stihl saw. If it is, then more than likely something is missing or not installed correctly.

When did they change the non-adjustable pump to be driven by the clutch drum?

Glen

Okay, that's the way I remember it.  And that thrust washer is driven via the (same) side of the clutch that's always spinning, right?  As opposed to the finger for the adjustable pump which reaches out and gets its impetus from the device the clutch spins while it's engaged (above idle).  Don't I have that right?  If so, the adjustable pump only spins when the chain drive sprocket does while the fixed-rate pump spins whenever the engine is lit, right?

Thanks,
Glen

Originally posted by glens
The "IntelliCarb" is not a gimmick.
Glen

Says You! Glen, explain to me how a "feature" that masks the symptoms of a dirty air filter by reducing fuel flow proprotional to the reduced air flow through a dirty filter doesn`t cause the engine to produce less horsepower.

I don`t care who else used it or uses it now, it`s still a gimmick that does not serve to prolong the period of optimal performance of an engine. By optimal, I mean the period in which an engine produces peak achievable power. Lack of proper maintenance always carries a penalty.

Whether or not the adjustable oiler is rated to flow the same quantity as the fixed rate oiler, I don`t know, never checked. I do know this, the ms260s with adjustable oilers produce dry chains when compared to ms260s with fixed oilers when used under similar conditions. I prefer an oily chain and believe the benefits are obvious and tangible.

Russ

The 260 pro could us a little more oil pump output, but I have never had a bar or chain wear out prematurley on mine or notice excessive chain stretch.
As far as the intellicarb goes. I think it is a good idea when you consider most people never clean their air filters.
Over all I really like mine, but the filter sytem stinks. The capacity is too small and the choke in filter idea is way too restrictive. The AV mounts also seem really soft.

Originally posted by jokers
I don`t care who else used it [Intellicarb-style metering] or uses it now, it`s still a gimmick that does not serve to prolong the period of optimal performance of an engine. By optimal, I mean the period in which an engine produces peak achievable power. Lack of proper maintenance always carries a penalty.
It's not held out to be a replacement for cleaning the air filter and no claims are made that engine power won't fall as the filter dirties (except by those who decry the system).

Engine power won't fall <i>more rapidly</i> than the dirt itself in the filter will cause.&nbsp; When the metering diaphragm is "powered" by the filtered air, the degradation is linear with that of the dirtying filter.&nbsp; When the metering system is not influenced by the condition of the air filter, the engine power falls on a steeper curve since not only does the combustion chamber see less oxidizer, but the amount of fuel becomes comparatively (if not absolutely) greater.

I'd say the comparison between filtered and unfiltered metering reference is like that between alkaline and nickel-cadmium batteries.&nbsp; The first will gradually and gracefully fade to nothing while the second drops like a rock early on.

Says me.

Glen

Glen,

Surprisingly, it might seem, I agree with your hypothesis on how the Intellicarb works to mask a dirty air filter. I say hypothesis rather than observation because I`m not aware that you have any experience with this gimmick. At any rate, you`ve proven that you are an Intelli-gent man, once again, and that is why I agree with you in this case.

I will say this however.... that I still feel that it is a feeble attempt to counter the success of Air Injection and Turbo air cleaning as you will find on current Elux saws. I know that I`ve seen it in print in the early days of the Intellicarb that it will extend the cleaning interval and I know of no less that four Stihl service school trained technicians who state that this is what they have been taught to believe.

Do we agree that many people simply accept many statements at face value when received from an authoritative source such as the manufacturer? I`ve seen it in regard to the Intellicarb. What do you suppose Mike Maas means when he says "The intella-carb is so simple, and it works, who could complain?" Works to do what? Despite the razzing Mike gets on occassion from certain people, we know that he is no dummy, but he seems to believe that there is some benefit to running a saw with a dirty filter if the air/fuel ratio is compensated by a system such as this. Hmmm... wonder how he got that idea?

I`d rather have a system that falls on it`s face a little more when it finally gets dirty enough to see reduced air flow than a system that discretely detunes a saw from the first moment that it is placed in service. At least this way I can stop and take the couple of minutes it takes to knock the crud loose from the filter before it is totally impacted, impacted the way that I`ve seen it many times on Intellicarb equiped saws. Running an Intellicarb detuned saw is like continuing to run a saw with a dull chain which keeps getting more dull. Performance loss may be gradual, but it exists none the less.

Cleaning the filter on an Intellicarb saw usually means compressed air and carb cleaner to get the deeply impacted dust out and although this method will restore a filter to nearly new condition, it also shortens it`s service life. It all comes around to smaller bits of preventative maintenance versus an overhaul in my opinion.

Says me.

BTW Mike, how many ms260 Pros with adjustable oilers do you have occassion to run? I`ve held the opinion that you won`t pick up a saw smaller than an 044 based on your posts. I currently own and operate four Pros(bought `em cheap or would have gone non-Pro) and four non-Pros and I perceive a difference in the oiler output but sharp chain prevents most problems other than the tips of the crappy laminated bars going to hell on me.

Russ

I am amazed on how much time is spent on discussion about varances and flaws of the 026. The 346xp is the obvious choice when perchasing saw in this CC range. Saw loyalty is amazing!!!

I`ve got 8 026/ms260s and 2 346s. I don`t think it`s unfair of me to discuss the 026 in any way I see fit since this is a chainsaw forum. Is this the saw loyalty that you speak of My2cents?

BTW, I`m very happy with my 346s and will probably have more. They are also a bargain compared to the ms260.

Russ

Originally posted by jokers
Glen,

... I`m not aware that you have any experience with this gimmick.
Unlike some around here, I'm only a two-<u>working</u>-saw man.&nbsp; They are both on the truck all the time and get used to make money or to help out for the most part, with rare forays into entertainment.&nbsp; They are both recent Stihl models which have the gimmickry.&nbsp; I've worked alongside older Stihl models which are not so endowed and have seen first-hand the difference it provides.&nbsp; I've also got some years on older Homelites which worked the same way.

I still feel that it is a feeble attempt to counter the success of Air Injection and Turbo air cleaning as you will find on current Elux saws.
What did Partner call it before Elux got them and put it on those two other lines of saws? (hahaha)
I know that I`ve seen it in print in the early days of the Intellicarb that it will extend the cleaning interval and I know of no less that four Stihl service school trained technicians who state that this is what they have been taught to believe.
I'm not familiar with the early (mid '80s?) advertising and am not privy to what gets taught at the tech school; I'm self-taught in this matter.&nbsp; I do believe marketing does not always end up being entirely factual and agree that market(eer)ing is a powerful influence.

... he seems to believe that there is some benefit to running a saw with a dirty filter if the air/fuel ratio is compensated by a system such as this.
Unlike continuing to use (because there's only a dozen more cuts to make) a chain that's become "a little dull", this situation <i>is</i> better for such a scenario concerning the air filter.

I`d rather have a system that falls on it`s face a little more when it finally gets dirty enough to see reduced air flow than a system that discretely detunes a saw from the first moment that it is placed in service. At least this way I can stop and take the couple of minutes it takes to knock the crud loose from the filter before it is totally impacted, impacted the way that I`ve seen it many times on Intellicarb equiped saws. Running an Intellicarb detuned saw is like continuing to run a saw with a dull chain which keeps getting more dull. Performance loss may be gradual, but it exists none the less.
I don't believe the system detunes the saw until it's necessary and when it is, the level of "detunement" is less than would otherwise exist.

The first thing I check when I notice the saw's not cutting as well as it should is the chain.&nbsp; I guess I can't recall a time in the last several years, at any rate, where the filter hadn't been cleaned before a noticeable drop in performance.&nbsp; I highly suspect the same goes for you.

Cleaning the filter on an Intellicarb saw usually means compressed air and carb cleaner to get the deeply impacted dust out and although this method will restore a filter to nearly new condition, it also shortens it`s service life. It all comes around to smaller bits of preventative maintenance versus an overhaul in my opinion.
Much the same way that for most, sharpening a chainsaw blade means taking it to the store and having them grind it.

Good to see you back and in good form, Russ!&nbsp; Can you round up Fish, too?

Glen

well i have the 026 henryised.. i really think its the fastest work saw in that class ,ive owned.. but joker having 2 -026- and 2 346 xp says a lot.. i mean he ought to know if anybody would..
by the way my 026 does not have the intelicarb.. jmo

Is it a known fact that the earlyer 026 had more go than the newer 2000- saw?ive always had that opinion,and ive used 026s over the last 12yrs nearly daily.i run a few other stihl and the cleaners do choke up but thats something that wouldn't turn me off buying one,is the 346 every bit as good as a 026 as a LONG TERM purchase?well i dont know any opinions?46ms rock

Jokers, you seem to insinuate that Glens description of how the Intellicarb system works, (which I think is bang on) because he does not own a 260 and you own several, that your lack of disregard for the value of mixture compensation somehow carries more weight.

The statement "Running an Intellicarb detuned saw is like continuing to run a saw with a dull chain which keeps getting more dull" is perhaps a bit biased. In the one instance damage to the bar and chain is occuring, in the other, the mixture is compensated and rather than be running a restriction induced rich mixture which would lead to harmful carbon build up and emmissions, the saw can operate with somewhat reduced but not damaging performance. I do prefer (and think superior) Elux centrifical precleaning system, but when it is run after filter is getting restricted, because it is not compensated, the mixture starts to go rich. Tho it is certainly not recommended, we all know that saws will be run with clogged filters.

Latest posts

Back