whats everyone burning right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burning Poplar, Locust, n Oak. Poplar to light the Locust to light the barely wet Oak. But I'm down to lighting those fires once a night about 5 nights a week. I see some north of me haven't been burning for several weeks so it must be the altitude. :rant:

But, I've also been burning gas in the mower. The week before last I did my first with dethatching (used an attachment for the pushmower) but only areas I wanted to overseed. Last week Monday I clipped the lawn at two heights. One part at the regular height and the other at the height I used for dethatching so I could overseed again since the grass seed I used was dead. It seems you can't leave it outside all winter and expect anything from it. So I spread another 40# of seed so I can really burn the fuel once it gets going. Tomorrow I'll clip the lawn to it's regular height of 4 inches. :msp_blink:

So yep, I'm still burning wood but also burning gas for the grass. It's just not the same as cutting wood n not nearly as fun! :msp_sad:

Sounds like you need a harvester....;)

me, I dont mind mowing, thats what drags in the bank debt notes....I like sawing a lot, but, at this point anyway, doesnt make me anything but stacks of wood. Thats nice, but insurance company wont trade for wood, grocery store wont trade for wood, truck stop wont trade for wood, the vet wont trade for wood, internet and cellphone companies wont trade for wood, (etc. and so on) and outright selling it around here is a joke, everyone and their cuzzin is sitting on stacks of wood and the demand isnt that high to begin with....I think the entire local demand is met after every storm, with just blowdowns and cleanup. If I was able to handle sawlogs, that would be a different story, but I am not, you need like a grapple truck and skidder and so forth, aint got that, they cost a lot upfront, so the point is moot.

Sounds like you need a harvester....;)

me, I dont mind mowing, thats what drags in the bank debt notes....I like sawing a lot, but, at this point anyway, doesnt make me anything but stacks of wood. Thats nice, but insurance company wont trade for wood, grocery store wont trade for wood, truck stop wont trade for wood, the vet wont trade for wood, internet and cellphone companies wont trade for wood, (etc. and so on) and outright selling it around here is a joke, everyone and their cuzzin is sitting on stacks of wood and the demand isnt that high to begin with....I think the entire local demand is met after every storm, with just blowdowns and cleanup. If I was able to handle sawlogs, that would be a different story, but I am not, you need like a grapple truck and skidder and so forth, aint got that, they cost a lot upfront, so the point is moot.

A haybine might be easier than a push mower! But a harvester would be more fun! :msp_w00t:

Really, I hate clipping the lawn and now it's back to its regular once a week clipping unless it doesn't rain enough. But, I use the push mower for the exercise n that's why I won't purchase things like a riding mower, wood splitter, or bobcat. Otherwise the only shape I would be in is ROUND! :msp_scared:

A haybine might be easier than a push mower! But a harvester would be more fun! :msp_w00t:

Really, I hate clipping the lawn and now it's back to its regular once a week clipping unless it doesn't rain enough. But, I use the push mower for the exercise n that's why I won't purchase things like a riding mower, wood splitter, or bobcat. Otherwise the only shape I would be in is ROUND! :msp_scared:

5 hours in the saddle today mowing..more tomorrow....way too much to do with a push mower... of course my personal yard is knee deep grass and weeds right now (bwahahaha, man I am lazy...hahahaha..come home DO NOT WANT TO MOW HEHEHEHE)..maybe Ill hit that tomorrow, then it is on to string trimming, that gets old...ditches, fencelines, around trees, here and there....bah...I get beacucoup plenty of exercise....during the day, then after dinner back to the wood pile until dark. Not too many rounds left and Ill be caught up from my winter screwed up arm no splitting hiatus. Go haul up more rounds then, got plenty on the ground.

Then real soon now haying....plus all of the above, and...arrggh. huge list of other chores. gardening, work on the cabin, finish two trucks rebuild, a stack of saws and a few mowers...snort. Spring is my most busy season. Luckily I can take breaks when I want to. And I do. Look forward to doing firewood the most though. I like the splitting and stacking, because it is quiet, nice and peaceful, slow steady, get er done... Everything else I do is LOUD, just loud.

I'm burning dogwood tonight. Supposed to be 42 tonight so I lit the little stove, loaded with some rock hard, long dead dogwood I found in the woods today. Man does that stuff burn!

I'm burning dogwood tonight. Supposed to be 42 tonight so I lit the little stove, loaded with some rock hard, long dead dogwood I found in the woods today. Man does that stuff burn!

Yes... Yes it does...
3 year old maple here...
It's freaking cold and wet out...
Trying to snow of all things!!!

Can't believe its May and I still need to take the chill out of the house.

I was burning alot in April as well. Dropping to 30s/40s at night still. Burning some scraps and Maples. Dont need anything too hot now.

On the tail end of 6 cords of Tamarac I got about a month and a half ago.

I think next week is nite nite for Bertha.

Wood burning season is just about done here.

Last wood I burned here was scrounges..
Small stuff left over from the perfect wood I stack.
I only stack perfect wood and use the scrounges for shoulder wood.

Pine and Pinyon and some Shaggy Juniper (Cedar)

The only perfect wood I have here burns hot in the fireplace. So on that note, it's all perfect. :msp_smile:

Early mornings are still mid thirties to low forties. If I light it up it's "tags". Tags are what I call unsplit branch pieces usaually about 1 1/2" to 3 " in diameter.

Thought I was done for the tear. House is 65 and lows in the 30's tonite. Went out in the dark and grabbed some wood under the tarp from 4 yrs ago. In the basement light, I see I grabbed hickory. Damn I hate burning good wood, but I'm not going back out to make a switch. Can't wait till i burn thru the mixed stack's. I like to know what I have, and bring in accordingly.

Burning what I can scrounge and savage ! All the ears wood an out in April, like any normal year, so joiner shop scraps, dead wood, basically anything to save the wife putting the oil heating on!!!

Some old sweetgum splits with a bit of red maple for good measure. It's just cool and damp enough to need a fire in the morning.

This weather beats all. Got the widows open one day and we're building a fire the next. The days have been very spring-like. But the nights have been downright cold. Built a fire this morning and went out to mow the yard. I had my jacket buttoned up, it was cold and windy out thar.

Trying not to...

but Heidi was a little chilly this morning, just lit off a little lodgepole pine and douglas fir. Thunderstorms in the forecast for today, hope we don't get any wildfires started.

Well I thought I was done burning but my wife just got home from "Bloomsday" and thought it was cold so she started a fire. Now it will be to hot and have to open the windows, not a problem if she's happy. Bloomsday is a 8 mile foot race in Spokane, kind of a thing you just have to do. Not me but my wife and about 50,000 other people. It was at one time the largest race in the country, don't know about now. Everybody has a great time, now back to the wood.

Latest posts

Back