What's happening to chainsaws in 2010 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One word, emissions. Word is none of today's motors will cut it in 2010.

That will be the year when VW will release the 261 strato anchor .. Or was it in 2110 ? :dizzy:

Please bring me up to speed on this subject.
Nothing if you start stocking up on the saws and saw parts you can buy now. I would think 2009 will have record sales for most saw companies. Buy enough now to last you the rest of your time here on earth and don't let the 2010 dooms day bother you.

One aspect of the US 2010 EPA regs that I am not clear on is whether any non EPA compliant saws will be allowed based on points, unit sales, etc as they are now.

I talked to one big dealer who thought there would be a few non EPA compliant saws allowed to be sold, although mostly I have read that all saws must be EPA compliant.

The focus of my interest is whether saws like the 3120 and 880 will continue to be sold - like I say I've heard it both ways.

I am going to buy one more 7900 and then figure I am pretty set for a few years at which time I am guessing the wrinkles on the newer technologies start to gel and new classics are created.

My current quiver includes a MSE 220, 026, 5100, 371, 2 7900s, 395, 066, 880 and at least one 3120. All great running saws.

The same thing happened with 2 stroke dirt bikes a few years back. The aftermartket and everything is still going strong with those... The owners od older 2 stroke bikes didn't have to give up anything. It's just the new models are more stringent, and some of the manufacturers aren't even making certain 2 strokes anymore.

It's not like Jan 1 2010 is the last day you can use old saws and equipment. Or not be a ble to buy parts and mix oils for said equipment.

Gary

The same thing happened with 2 stroke dirt bikes a few years back. The aftermartket and everything is still going strong with those... The owners od older 2 stroke bikes didn't have to give up anything. It's just the new models are more stringent, and some of the manufacturers aren't even making certain 2 strokes anymore.

Gary

Yes, but one doesn't have to manually carry a heavier bike around to get the same performance. So far, that seems to be the trend on chainsaws, for those that care about weight.

I was big into dirtbikes a few years back, had a pretty stout CR250r Honda that had a VIOLENT powercurve, engine was modded, etc...4 strokes were for riding trails with grandma, not for the track...then along came the new gen, 12k RPM 4 strokes, and kicked the crap out of the 2 strokes, that's why no one races them anymore! Basically, a 250 2 stroke USED to go against 450-500cc 4 strokes, to get the same performance, and the 2 stroke would usually still win...with the new engine tech, however, a much torque-ier 4 stroke 250 will give a 2 stroke 250 a run for it's money!

I, personally, am not going to stock up with 35 saws thinking that it's doomsday for the saw industry...they're working on stuff already, they know what they need to do! Granted, if they go 4 stroke, they won't sound the same anymore! I hope they get the clean burning 2 stroke thing down, because, 4 stroke dirtbikes don't sound NEAR as good as 2 strokes!

My .02. :)

Is this US only legislation? I wonder if the foreign markets will become a pipeline for those of us interested in higher performing saws? Is there anything in the legislation regarding importing unapproved engines?

Maybe Andy and others will be moving their sales staff offshore :greenchainsaw:

I think we may see 2 strokes still, but ones that have bearings that don't need lubrication, so they won't need mix gas. Maybe even some kind of power valved saws. I don't think the 4 stroke is up to the 2 stroke at lease not yet. Anyone who thinks so needs to go to a atv drag race and see for yourself which motor is king.
This is all my .2 cents.

Latest posts

Back