What's Happening with Husky?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pro saws live because of Homeowner saws

If Stihl and Husky didn't sell tens of thousands of the homeowner models, none of us would be able to afford the Pro saws! They have to make their money somewhere.

Al :cheers:

I don't believe we disagree on any point at all, in fact I think we both agree completely. I just used the terms 'quality', 'pro' and 'homeowner' as a general descriptors. I didn't mean to infer that a homeowner class saw from a name brand mfg isn't a quality saw, but like all things, you get what you pay for. In my mind a pro caliber saw is a higher quality saw than a homeowner class one. In either case, both are infinitely higher quality than a Chinese knockoff POS.

Oh cool... then we are on the same page mang! :clap:

Gary

Therefore the saws are made with less features, and at minimal cost. Quality compared to the pro lineup isn't "compromised", but done in a more economical way.

Sorry, but I disagree with you here. It sounds like you're talking about a car - you know, it costs $15,000 for a base model, but if you want it fully loaded, its $25,000 - but they're still built on the same engine etc.

In the case of a saw, we're talking about completely different beasts. More plastic, low quality carburetors in some cases, cheaper pistons & cylinders in many. Poor or old technology on AntiVibe, Aluminum instead of Magnesium etc etc. Its not just that they've taken off the heated handles or something.

The cats that buy "homeowner" grade saws expect exactly what the are getting from the saw.

This I do not disagree with. I have long said that there are plenty of people out there for whom a $100 poulan is just fine. We all have our needs & these ones do appeal to them. I personally think that some of the "lower end" (and i say that to distinguish them from their "top ends") Stihl & Huskies (and dolmars and echos etc etc) are ok, but not particularly good value. When you pay $290-400 for a consumer grade stihl or husky IMHO you're getting a saw that probably shouldnt be selling for more than $200-300. But you pay for the name.

Learned the hard way on homeowner Husky quality when I purchased a $200 saw from a local dealer. Long story short, was the cheapest made POS I ever bought. Saw finally bounced off every tree within throwing distance coming out of the woods. Got home and was still so fired up, bounced saw off the pavement 'til it finally busted. That was the only tough thing about it. Threw it in the truck, drove back to the dealer, and told him in no uncertain terms what he could do with it and left. Just wanted a cheap saw to do some limbing and small firewood cutting. I didn't expect much on quality or longevity. Pinched the bar, ended up bent along with the chain, just from the weight of the saw itself. Wouldn't run right at idle. tried to pull the plug, but couldn't even get it loose with a socket and ratchet. Tightened chain up one day, started cutting, chain derailed. That was when I lost it (medication now helps with that.lol). Feel bad for being mad at the dealer, wasn't his fault, just the cheap saw itself.

Learned the hard way on homeowner Husky quality when I purchased a $200 saw from a local dealer. Long story short, was the cheapest made POS I ever bought. Saw finally bounced off every tree within throwing distance coming out of the woods. Got home and was still so fired up, bounced saw off the pavement 'til it finally busted. That was the only tough thing about it. Threw it in the truck, drove back to the dealer, and told him in no uncertain terms what he could do with it and left. Just wanted a cheap saw to do some limbing and small firewood cutting. I didn't expect much on quality or longevity. Pinched the bar, ended up bent along with the chain, just from the weight of the saw itself. Wouldn't run right at idle. tried to pull the plug, but couldn't even get it loose with a socket and ratchet. Tightened chain up one day, started cutting, chain derailed. That was when I lost it (medication now helps with that.lol). Feel bad for being mad at the dealer, wasn't his fault, just the cheap saw itself.

So you bent the bar and chain (that has nothing to do with a poor qaulity saw) and you threw a chain? i wouldnt be surprised if your idle issues had to do with one of those two things. hell, i bent a bar, but i didnt go smash my saw, i bought a cannon.:greenchainsaw:

Once your B/C is bent, the above (bold print) will not work :)

Must treat your equipment better. And stay on that medication :cheers:

Saw cut fine after straightening bar and chain. worked like it was supposed to. Chain derailing didn't happen immediately after it got bent. Bar and chain bent from merely the weight of the saw after I let go. Chain turned freely so wouldn't have affected the idle. Idled poorly from the date of purchase. Yeah, I should have taken it back for them to look at, but it was brand new. Don't expect to take something new back to the dealer but that does happen. I've operated saws for 28 years now, so I'm not a newbie. This saw had issues from the get-go. My father has two huskys which I've ran, and both are fine saws. One is a 142 and the other is a little larger.

pinching the bar is not the saws fault.

In my area, Lowes & Tractor Supply carry the homeowner & landowner
class Husqvarna saws; dealer only for an XP pro model.

You got to remember lowes and tractor supply sears home cheapo may sell the product but service they do not handle guess who gets the service on them

Now does the dealer have to work on the saw even if they did not sell the saw to the customer ?

Marketing drives what manufacturers produce, Americans always liked big gas guzzling vehicles, so that's what the big 3 produced, when times change, it's expensive and time consuming for the bigger companies to change. Chainsaw companies are like the auto industry inthat they produce what they see there consumers wanting to buy, thus making them a profit. If everyperson that wanted a chainsaw wanted a pro grade, high end saw, that's all they would make. Reality is that most people would rather buy a homeowner type, like a 290 or 455, so the companies make way more of them than the 361 or 356, making the less produced, better saw even more expensive compared to the very mass produced homeowner saw.

From a homeowner standpoint, I do NOT need a $500+ saw, but I do need to know I will have some support when/if something goes wrong. Therefore, I will never buy equipment from a box store. Stuff breaks. After an issue with Sears over a vacuum cleaner that was going to take 3 weeks minimum to get repaired, I decided to stop doing business with them for anything but clothes. (still have the best prices for Levi's). I have a local dealer that I know and trust. It may cost me a little more to buy from them, but I know they have my back. Like I said, stuff breaks. Usually due to an error in the operating system (me).

I'm looking at a Stihl 290 w/18" bar. It is enough saw for me and my MAYBE 30 hours a year of cutting. Yes, it has older technology, I know I can get a MUCH better saw for a few hundred $ more, but I don't have a few hundred $ more to spend. I don't need a Corvette, a base model Impala will do me just fine.

It's a phenomenon I call "Feeding the machine". I don't hold making money against any company. In fact, I enthusiastically support the concept, but success has it's downside. When a company first goes into business, most are driven by the philosophy of building a quality product, sold at a reasonable and fair price. This business model is often successful and before you know it, the little company starts to grow like a weed.

At some point a growing company has to face facts and shed some of its naivete and start adopting a business model based on making money more than making a quality product. In order to maintain growth and increase revenue these companies start looking at expanding their market. Look at Husky as an example. At first they produce a quality saw which gives their company a good reputation, then they expand by adding more models and different products. Then they expand their market, first by going national then international. At some point every economy takes a downturn. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes catastrophic. When that happens, the bottom line is affected and the brilliant people at the helm of the company look for ways to maintain growth. In Husky's case they branched out into a lot of other products and expanded the scope of their market, meaning they started servicing the homeowner via the mass market, (big box store). They also have to face facts and learn to cope with new marketing methods, such as the internet.

I do have to tip my hat to companies like Husky and Stihl. They have maintained their professional lines and do a reasonable job of looking out for their dealers. Homeowner saws are flying off the shelves because people think they're getting the same quality saw as a pro and a fraction of the price. Of course we know the truth, but if you're a Husky or Stihl, their is a lot of value in your brand name. They exploit it in order to keep the bottom line numbers from going down. In the end, that line of thinking usually causes a problem.

I call it brand exploitation and it is the modus operandi of private equity who seek out companies with great brand loyalty looking to improve the short term balance sheet quickly often cheapening the product in the process. They exploit the brand taking advantage of the consumer and long term share holder in one swoop. Soon the market realizes that this brand now produces a sub-standard product and the organizations value is diminished. By this time the Private Equity corp has likely sold the company in reference.

Also keep in mind that many of these companies are no longer run by the interested and proud leadership that started the organization. Instead their leaders are simply hired managers with their own interest in mind and that interest is usually a quick buck and a notch on the old resume. "I moved production to the Belgium Congo improving margin by 35%", Blah Blah. There isn't much inventiveness amongst senior executives as they all just copy the latest trend that seemed to garner the quick buck. "Outsource, yeah, OK uh, I can do that too!". All of this aside, when you consider that the average CEO in the United states makes 200 times the average worker as opposed to 10 times being the norm in other industrialized nations you have to wonder. This is a recent phenomena in the US as the disparity was around 20 times back in the 60's & 70's when the US still made good products and you could for the most part rely upon a brand to provide the quality it was known for rather than be deceptive.

I call it brand exploitation and it is the modus operandi of private equity who seek out companies with great brand loyalty looking to improve the short term balance sheet quickly often cheapening the product in the process. They exploit the brand taking advantage of the consumer and long term share holder in one swoop. Soon the market realizes that this brand now produces a sub-standard product and the organizations value is diminished. By this time the Private Equity corp has likely sold the company in reference.

Also keep in mind that many of these companies are no longer run by the interested and proud leadership that started the organization. Instead their leaders are simply hired managers with their own interest in mind and that interest is usually a quick buck and a notch on the old resume. "I moved production to the Belgium Congo improving margin by 35%", Blah Blah. There isn't much inventiveness amongst senior executives as they all just copy the latest trend that seemed to garner the quick buck. "Outsource, yeah, OK uh, I can do that too!". All of this aside, when you consider that the average CEO in the United states makes 200 times the average worker as opposed to 10 times being the norm in other industrialized nations you have to wonder. This is a recent phenomena in the US as the disparity was around 20 times back in the 60's & 70's when the US still made good products and you could for the most part rely upon a brand to provide the quality it was known for rather than be deceptive.

Very good. Well said. IMO, the TRUTH.:clap:

Latest posts

Back