What's in your toolbox?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramzilla

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was looking through the Stihl special tools catalog and wondered....what special tools do you guys find handy to have while wrenching on saws? I am always up for picking up new tools that will make life easier.

I was looking through the Stihl special tools catalog and wondered....what special tools do you guys find handy to have while wrenching on saws? I am always up for picking up new tools that will make life easier.

T27 torx small flat head tuning screw driver, piston ring tool, vacuum/pressure tester and compression tester. All can be had far cheaper that stihl prices if you shop around a little bit

I am a mechanic at Caterpillar for a living so I have all the basic things like that and "my" stihl prices are dirt cheap so I was wondering if there were any special tools you guys used often?

I am a mechanic at Caterpillar for a living so I have all the basic things like that and "my" stihl prices are dirt cheap so I was wondering if there were any special tools you guys used often?

One of the few stihl tools that are damn nice is a crank seal puller. I haven't had the opportunity to use too many of their tools

IMHO, there are only two that I consider "critical". The flywheel puller can be had on ebay for about $20, and will prevent damage to the flywheel by using alternate methods. The other is the crank seal puller but the cost is high($280) if you can even get a dealer to sell you one. The clutch side seals are not a problem..but the flywheel side is :angry: unless you have the OEM puller, especially on the small saws, like 026.

Long T handle T27 and the 4mm T handle are some of the tools I use most for saws. Never seen their tool catalog, but if you're making an order, see if they've got a set of ring compressors. I've been using zip ties, but they can be a PITA on the Stihls.

I have approx, last time weighed, 1637 .6 lbs of hand tools, not counting, electric, battery or pneumatic. The box alone weighs 300+ lbs.

I wish I lived close enough to you to borrow your 2 lb. Stihl seal puller....:msp_smile: Just every once in a while.

Long T handle T27 and the 4mm T handle are some of the tools I use most for saws. Never seen their tool catalog, but if you're making an order, see if they've got a set of ring compressors. I've been using zip ties, but they can be a PITA on the Stihls.

Have you tried the ring compressor from baileys? It is only $10 and has worked great for me.View attachment 280309

clutch removal tool.
$5 piston lock or rope not work well enough??? :msp_confused::msp_confused:

I can make tools on the fly when I need them so some things aren't too crucial for me (ie: flywheel pullers, seal pullers, aluminum&rubber exhaust port blocks, etc).

Necessities: T27 and 4mm (& 6mm?) allen tee handle, screw drivers, piston lock, compression guage, pass through spark tester, piston ring compressors $8.

Nice extras: vacuum/pressure guage, Wiha 8mm t-handle for carb nuts, 12v cordless impact for assemble and disassemble, flywheel gapper, small USC for carbs

So does it take 2 or 3 people to lift it into the back of the truck?

That box never leaves the shop floor but if you feel strong sometime drop by. I will lift it up with one of the pieces of equipment kicking around and let you grab on it any way you like. If you can hold it up off the floor for 30 seconds its yours, tools included.....LOL

Have you tried the ring compressor from baileys? It is only $10 and has worked great for me.View attachment 280309

Those sets are all over eBay, many sponsors and eBay store fronts sell them also. They are worth every penny as far as I can see since I have two or more sets of them in my box.

I wish I lived close enough to you to borrow your 2 lb. Stihl seal puller....:msp_smile: Just every once in a while.

If you have pulled as many seals as I have you wouldn`t bother with those factory Stihl seal pullers, far too slow and cumbersome to set up and play around with. I can have the seal out and replaced before a tech can even get that seal puller set up for use. 50 years of working at this stuff gives one a lot more insight into how things can be done in a more expedient manner. Does not mean that things have to be done in a rough or foolhardy manner, just means there there is always a better more efficient means of completing any task, mostly learned from working at the trade or if someone with more time in than you will show some of the, tricks, they have learned.

My most used and beloved tools for chainsaws............Hemostats

Wiha t-27 and metric allen heads and 8mm thandle tools.

Not so worried about the pullers.

If you have pulled as many seals as I have you wouldn`t bother with those factory Stihl seal pullers, far too slow and cumbersome to set up and play around with. I can have the seal out and replaced before a tech can even get that seal puller set up for use. 50 years of working at this stuff gives one a lot more insight into how things can be done in a more expedient manner. Does not mean that things have to be done in a rough or foolhardy manner, just means there there is always a better more efficient means of completing any task, mostly learned from working at the trade or if someone with more time in than you will show some of the, tricks, they have learned.

Dang! I thought I was old!!!!!

Dang! I thought I was old!!!!!

Yep,...I is old as dirt, won`t be long before I join it again and all the **** I learned coming up through the ranks will be gone with me. Many friends and acquaintances keep telling me to get this stuff written down on paper. I just tell them there is always someone else that knows all this and more.

Latest posts

Back