What's more important,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I'm saying is look at the 1989 B5.9 Cummins in a Dodge. 160hp / 400lb-ft torque @ 2500rpm......you could hook two houses to it, shove it in compound, run it for 250k miles, and it still didn't even know it was back there. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Last edited:
All I'm saying is look at the 1989 B5.9 Cummins in a Dodge. 160hp / 400lb-ft torque @ 2500rpm......you could hook two houses to it, shove it in compound, run it for 250k miles, and it still didn't even know it was back there. I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

This man has a great point. And I'm a GM guy!

Now we are talking about shoving it in compound! Different strokes for different folks; two strokes or four strokes! Space needs to tighten his parameters, I think as he is getting a lot of spurious responses.

So, when you are prying on a log, with your 32" bar, is torque what got the saw pinched? Or horsepower?

I definitely doubt it could be related to operator error!:monkey:

Velocity can be a bastard sometimes.!

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque dictates how far you take the wall with you!

Gotcha. So as a Gator fan, Percy Harvin had horsepower, but Fred Taylor had torque.

I'm down with that. :cheers:

Last edited:
I think the question should be modified to this:

do you like your torque band in the low rpm's or in the high rpm's

I already said that "tighten his parameters" so go find your own topic, Lol! I dont know if Space was in to tuna cans deep but he was into RC airplanes and He has been rumored to drive log trucks but I think he is up to something else tonight.:cheers:

That's why I run Huskys. They have torquepower.

Torquepower? Oh yah, I have it here in my notes:

Torquepower = ( Spacemule Trolling X Goblin Rambeling ) squared

For those that really want to know... power is defined as rotational torque x revs. Thus if power is constant, faster chain speed comes with a reduction of torque, and more torque comes with a reduction of chain speed. If you want more torque, pop on a larger rim drive. If you want more chain speed, pop on a smaller rim drive. I find that if the saw boggs down, I throw in a smaller rim drive (if I am using a lager one). Of course, there is also a design factor of the chainsaw engine, and the torque vs rev. band which when multiplied gives you the overall power at any particular RPM. But you have little control over that once you buy a saw, other than making mods.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back