Whats on your bench this weekend 8-29-10 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I liked when Brad started these weekend threads but he hasn't done one for awhile so I thought I would do one for this weekend.

Myself, I dug out this Poulan Pro 475 that has been laying in a box for months, with all the new parts there just waiting for me to get some time to finish it.

Well actually I found out I forgot to get a couple parts. I forgot I needed a oil cap, chain adjuster and bar nuts. :angry:

Thats ok for now though I just borrowed the oil cap from my other 475 till I can get one ordered tomorrow. I found a adjuster screw that I could make work for now and dug up a set of bar nuts.

I started out with this,

attachment.php

Went to a new 064 piston that got slightly modified

attachment.php

Jug was excellent after some clean up.

attachment.php

Coming together well.

attachment.php

I'll just skip to the finished product for now.

attachment.php

She sounds good and I have not put the compression gauge on it yet but trust me, you have to pull on this one like you mean it to turn it over.

Dang Mark!!!
You are getting to be quite the wizard with those saws!

Will that one run with your first one?
Looks to be in almost as good of shape.

Mike

Dang Mark!!!
You are getting to be quite the wizard with those saws!

Will that one run with your first one?
Looks to be in almost as good of shape.

Mike

Mike I dont know, it was late and I didnt get to try it much, just got it going.

I wouldnt be a bit surprised if it didnt outrun the first one as I suspect it has a coil breaking down on it. That day at Seans, Ed and I tried to check it with his tach, and the tach went goofy at about 11K. Another tach was tried and it done the same thing.

Even if that coil was rev limited it should have went over 13K before it made the tach go crazy.

I'm going to start a thread soon to see why the 475 and 505 use a different coil then the 415, 425 and 445.

They all use the same flywheel part # so I'm taking a stab in the dark and guessing the bigger 475 and 505 might have had a rev limiting coil on them.

If thats the case I'll get a new 425 style coil and try it.

Most of my time the last couple weeks has been spent researching, acquiring parts, and preparing to build a new engine for my truck. I'm building a pretty warm 6.0L for my truck. I should be putting down a little better than 400 HP to the ground.

977530600_NhbnH-L.jpg

979870246_f49gU-M.jpg

981289907_dNWg9-M.jpg

Most of my time the last couple weeks has been spent researching, acquiring parts, and preparing to build a new engine for my truck. I'm building a pretty warm 6.0L for my truck. I should be putting down a little better than 400 HP to the ground.

981289907_dNWg9-M.jpg

What's the matter Brad? Is the engine in your truck getting a little tired? Or are you getting tired of it? LOL

Is that a stall converter?

What's the matter Brad? Is the engine in your truck getting a little tired? Or are you getting tired of it? LOL

Is that a stall converter?

My 5.3 runs strong with no problems, 77K miles. I'm just building for more power. It's the same disease that makes me port chainsaws, lol:)

That's a Yank Pro Truck 3200 RPM stall converter. It's a tight converter for good daily driving characteristics, but will allow it to flash to a higher RPM, putting the engine in it's power band. The bigger the cam, the higher the stall that's needed. The cam is a 220/224 .581/.581 112 LSA, relatively small in the realm of things. It should have a nice lope, but still have good low RPM torque, as needed in a 4x4 truck. Just like porting, it's all about compromises.

Yamaha XL1200 Limited. Needs a CDI. PITA to get to.

Poulan Pro with all the starter cover screws broken off. Have no idea how he did it.

Yamaha Waverunner III. Won't start, but has fire. Runs fine if I pour a little mix in the carb.

Church Steeple. Needs the joints reglassed and faired.

Remington Model 11. Needs a new carrier spring.

I need to get a real job.

Id hate to turn this into car thread but, Love them YANK converters. Got one in my camaro.

Yesterday I did go through this 460 I bought while on vacation. It's the most sun faded Stihl I've worked on. It cleaned up very nicely. I'll post pics of it in a couple days when I get the new model plate and Magnum decal.

960548241_fKiTw-M.jpg

A PM850 cylinder with a broken off muffler bolt (got it out a piece at a time -now have to fill and re-tap), a SP81 cylinder, a PM570 torn down to replace rings and/or piston and a NOS piston to check wear on the first mentioned cylinders (both passed the hold the piston up test I read about here on AS last week). Ron

Husky 395XP, broken inside dawg bolt, 2 carb rebuilds for other 395's.

Solo 680, piston is shot, cylinder looks alright though.

Mike I dont know, it was late and I didnt get to try it much, just got it going.

I wouldnt be a bit surprised if it didnt outrun the first one as I suspect it has a coil breaking down on it. That day at Seans, Ed and I tried to check it with his tach, and the tach went goofy at about 11K. Another tach was tried and it done the same thing.

Even if that coil was rev limited it should have went over 13K before it made the tach go crazy.

I'm going to start a thread soon to see why the 475 and 505 use a different coil then the 415, 425 and 445.

They all use the same flywheel part # so I'm taking a stab in the dark and guessing the bigger 475 and 505 might have had a rev limiting coil on them.

If thats the case I'll get a new 425 style coil and try it.

Soooo I guess yer sayin' I need to get a tach on that 505 and see what's up with the ignition on it? I'll check it out this week. Maybe I need a 425 coil also?

On my bench.

Bench 1 has the Husky 55 that I rebuilt and THEN found out the crank bearing is noisy. Bearings and gasket kit sitting beside it. Motivation is nowhere to be found. Gotta find the motivation before firewood (saw selling) season.

Bench 2 has most of my Husky 136. That one is getting some upgrades for running in the Wildthing class.

Bench 3 has some semi-permanent residents. Husky 372, 272, and 359 shoved all the way to the back. The front of that bench has the FC-85 edger engine on it. Early Saw Dr. rebuild. Note to self: Cheap gasket sealer is not a good idea on case halves...... It will be Dirko this time.

My bench has the chain grinder clamped to it, a friend gave me eight or nine chains to grind for him and his dad.

The real project is trying to get my son's room painted. The old paint on the ceiling pealed and cracked. I tried sanding it and removing it with a heat gun. Of course, it's sticking like crazy now. Hope to try chemical remover tomorrow.

After that, I've got the Husky 36 and two old Homelites to put together.

ms200t- waiting on a piston
036- i think it needs a piston
044- needs piston and cylinder and cleaning!!!

Back