What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 gal water (cold. no HWH in my shop).
105 grams of the Tetrasodium EDTA powder.
40 grams powdered citric acid to get to a neutral PH of 7.
5 ml dawn dish soap as a surfactant.

the Tetrasodium EDTA makes the water super alkaline. the 40 grams of citric acid brings it back to neutral PH.

View attachment 1135556
Thanks for sharing this, it has lead me down a bit of a rabit hole of experimentation... 1 thing I just noticed was the video you later referenced recommended a concentration considerably stronger than your recipe... wondering if you found it similarly effective being that much more diluted or possibly if you ment to say litres not gallons?
You tube link for reference...

With regards to my experimentation... I required a rust removal process that would affect zinc (galvanising) as minimally as possible. I have access to a few acids so made up a number of batches using different acids to balance the pH of the Tetrasodium EDTA.
I found that Phosphoric+Oxalic (14:1), Formic, & HCl all worked considerably better than Citric Acid for rust removal. Sodium Bisulfate & Sulfuric performed similarly to the citric, & Acetic (vinegar) was slightly less effective.
With regard to the galvanising, all (including actual Evaporust) reacted with it to some degree. The Formic acid removed it extremely well. Phosphoric, Citric, Sulfuric, & Acetic all had a significant effect on it. The HCl was by far the slowest to react with the galvanising, it did take more off than Evaporust did, but only slightly.
If anyone would like any more details or to know how the various mixes react in another situations I'd be happy to do what i can. Thinking I might try a few other common metals for reactivity... stainless, aluminium, etc. Open to any other suggestions

With regards to my experimentation... I required a rust removal process that would affect zinc (galvanising) as minimally as possible. I have access to a few acids so made up a number of batches using different acids to balance the pH of the Tetrasodium EDTA.
I found that Phosphoric+Oxalic (14:1), Formic, & HCl all worked considerably better than Citric Acid for rust removal. Sodium Bisulfate & Sulfuric performed similarly to the citric, & Acetic (vinegar) was slightly less effective.
With regard to the galvanising, all (including actual Evaporust) reacted with it to some degree. The Formic acid removed it extremely well. Phosphoric, Citric, Sulfuric, & Acetic all had a significant effect on it. The HCl was by far the slowest to react with the galvanising, it did take more off than Evaporust did, but only slightly.
If anyone would like any more details or to know how the various mixes react in another situations I'd be happy to do what i can. Thinking I might try a few other common metals for reactivity... stainless, aluminium, etc. Open to any other suggestions
interesting. I thought I was using the same ratios provided in the YouTube video. I will watch it again and check. I have not tried it on anything galvanized but if it removes galvanizing that would open up an avenue for using galvanized stuff for welding projects. I do remember that in the video he mentioned changing the mix ratios didn't affect the process much. you seem to have found otherwise.

interesting. I thought I was using the same ratios provided in the YouTube video. I will watch it again and check. I have not tried it on anything galvanized but if it removes galvanizing that would open up an avenue for using galvanized stuff for welding projects. I do remember that in the video he mentioned changing the mix ratios didn't affect the process much. you seem to have found otherwise.
I didn't change the ratios as such, I made 1 3L batch of the EDTA solution & split that into 400ml portions. All the acids added were concentrated so the amount used was only around 10ml & there was no more than 10ml variation across all solutions. The exception was Acetic acid, as vinegar is only 5% acetic... in this case I made 200ml of EDTA @ 10g/100ml, balanced it with ~100ml vinegar then added demineralised water to bring the total up to 410ml.
In your recipe the chemical proportions are more or less the same, but you are diluting them nearly 4x more. If this was working effectively for you I might try diluting some of my samples & comparing effectiveness.
If you wish to remove galvanising the Formic acid solution did by far the best job, not sure how many people will have access to that though. Both Citric & Acetic (vinegar) acid mixes removed galvanising at close to the same rate as they removed rust. The vinegar mix was just a bit slower in general

Picked up a Pioneer 1200A at the local auction for $20. After getting it home it reads 130 PSI cold and has spark. The gas in it was putrid. Off to the local saw shop for a carb kit and some fuel line and I'll see if I can get this puppy running this weekend!20240202_131109.jpg20240202_130037.jpg20240202_130107.jpg

Latest posts

Back