What's on your plate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to the central New York GTG at Weimedog's place. Had a blast. 50 degrees and sunny with 4 inches of snow on the ground. Got to run a bunch of saws that I had only read about. Ran J.Walker's ported 246xp ported357xp and ported372xp (real nice saws!) ran a Dolmar 7300 an ms361 and ms310 for the first time. Ran a bunch of other saws as well. Fixed, modded and broke(plastic bar oil tank) my old Super 2. Drank some beers and ate a bunch of good food. Fell and bucked a nice 24" diameter ash and some big dead cherry with "willsaw4beer" "motomedik" and "weimedog" using my ms441, motomedik's 7300 and weimedog's 455(nice little saw). Drove the jeep around through the woods a little bit. That was all on Sunday!

Saturday I shoveled and hauled composted manure for the gardens.

Sunday was more fun.:cheers:

I did the same thing Sunday too! Ran your MS441, that was a first for me. That 441 is a nice saw! Ran Millmans MS310 and MS361, another first for this old Husky guy! Did'nt drink any beers tho, that's what I did Saturday while cleaning my shop out in the barn.

Nice weekend

I spent some time in the woodlot.
attachment.php

Ran my 757
attachment.php

Cut up some fir.
attachment.php

And hauled it home.
attachment.php

Now all I have to do is finish splitting and stacking.

I ran a gallon of gas through the saw, hauled some wood to a friends house. A fun and relaxing weekend.:cheers:

Drywall sidejob all day saturday for a VIP (to some people that matter to me personally and professionally) and part of Sunday (damn Durabond 20 still wet after 18 hours :confused:). Frog hunting with my 3yo son, prepping the mountain bikes and camper for its maiden voyage this coming weekend. Watching MSU whip UCONN!

Friday night the wife and I went to the movie 'Knowing'.

Saturday morning a daughter and I went to my 17 y/o seniors daughter's small group/solo instrumental/choir competition. She got 6 - 1's including a perfect ballot on her flute solo. Her small group choir is going on to the State competition.
Bought some ammo on the way home.

Chisel plowed 60 acres.

Boiled 6 gallons of maple sap into a quart of syrup.

Sunday morning Church

Wife and I installed a new carpet while irritating the hell out of each other. Shortened 2 doors to fit over carpet.

Cut a few slabs off of a 56" ash stump with the Makita 6401 with the 7901 p/c and muffler mod.

Potted some tomatoes and other plants.

Sharpened chains and sipped some Canadian Club.

Life is good.

saturday cleared and cut some brush and trees around the house and had a night out to the movies with my wife.sunday got permision to cut dead standing trees on a lot all next to the road.that was 3 pm,raced home and returned for my first load at 330 pm:clap:lots of free wood,just like a kid in a candy store!

Rain Sat.

Sat. I cleaned up 2 of the saws,put sharp chains on them and ran the grinder to sharpen 6 loops. Sunday was nice, I pulled out the splitter and did a half cord of Hickory and a full cord of Oak rounds that had been sitting for 2 weeks. Took the kids to Monsters vs.Aliens in 3D. Came home and sipped some Maker'sMark. I've got 9 cords coming this week(grapple load) 22' long all 10", all Oak no need to split:clap:

Last edited:
Saturday I built a casting deck in my new 14ft Tracker John Boat. Wired up a bow and stern lights. Spent 300 bucks on a MotorGuide BigDog foot control trolling motor on it.

Sunday, I took out the Ranger Bass boat, and proceeded to slam the snot out of
some hefty Largemouth bass. 18 in all. 2 were 3lbs one was 4+. The other 15 were about 10 to 12 inches long. Heck of a good Sunday fishing. Can't wait to get the john boat finished!

I'm DONE run'n the saws for firewood...they aren't getting fueled until somebodies paying me lol! It's fish'n season.

Today I nursed a bum leg. I got 9 trees on Saturday and hauled them home (grossed 30000...... gotta love the Duramax/Allison) and went to unloading them. Stepped off of a log about 2.5 feet above the deck of the gooseneck and stepped straight into the angle iron slots on the dovetail. One foot about 1 ft above my head and my left leg jammed mid thigh deep into the slot. I crawled out and commenced to vomit from the pain. Luckily no broken bones just lots of scratches and bruises. Wifey is a nurse and won't stop calling me a moron. I told her to shutup and enjoy some more of that heat that grows on trees.

I started my weekend off Friday night, picked up tin roofing at Lowe's and working on building an 8x12 shed (MC storage/saw shop) Had the deck down on Wednesday, the walls framed friday night, roof joists done Saturday night, Sunday picked up T111 at Lowe's in the am then sheathed and installed tin roof and T111. The only thing left is to cap the soffit and fascia and I can move in.
The old lady will be happy the MC's (2) are out of the living room and the saws (14) are out of the kitchen and living room.:clap:

In between all that Saturday morning 8 am, I took in a little side job. (They said it just need a cable, no problem in and out in a half hour, a quick $30., I should have known better.) I installed a parking brake cable on an 84 Dodge POS pick up, which turned into replacing all the cables and new rear brakes and drums, wheel cylinders and steel lines. Put it out side until they brought more parts.
Brought my friends boat in (charity job) to finish installing the engine I built for it 2 months ago (350 Chevy Mercruiser) that we set in on Wednesday night, got it running and tuned and out of there by 5 pm.
Brought the Dodge back in and jacked it up and pulled the wheels off so I could work on it tonight, would have had it finished but the brake drums are NFG. So I have to wait for parts again.

I hope all that made sense.........:dizzy:

I did get to run a saw Sunday, 2036 Jred. The shed is a little close to the house so I had to clearance the fascia board so the sheds roof didn't hit it.:cheers:

If I can only get some free time to try out the new seat I got for my MC last Tuesday and put the new brake handle on my 066 that I picked up last Thursday.:cry:

Back to the real job Monday am.............:dizzy::help:

cleaned up and sold my truck. shopped for another one, calling about some tomorrow. (didn't realize how much sawdust and logging crap i had in it)

watched it rain

messed with my 084 that i just got that my 361 will outcut (aggravating!!)

did some good fishing saturday tho. caught 42 keeper croppie and 4 bluegill. they sure were tasty!!!

Sat. attempted to find phantom brake issue on the Jeep, Oil changes on Jeep, Chebby farm truck, Tractor, and Polaris Quad.

Jeep oil filler cap busted, ran all over tring to find another.
Tractor got cranky over the winter pushing snow, needs new Battery, ran all over finding another.

Shot a woodchuck trying to move in under the barn.Note to others....remember ear plugs when discharging firearms under a vehicle.

Oil change on a Polaris is similar to a Vasectomy, put it off and buzzed up a 50' snag on my creek line and it broke early in the back cut and got hung dropping crap/limbs all over me and the quad needing the oil change.
Pulled hanger off old oak with quad and noticed time.
Steaks with wife.

Sunday, buzzed up Snag. Split half a cord, thought about Oil change on quad.
Greased up the brush chopper and rotovator, cleaned up the spray rig, inventoried pesticides, considered oil change on Quad. Discovered barb wire in Red Oak on creek line, changed chains went higher up for a down slanted back cut and found top strand of barb wire fence. changed Chain and found wire again but dropped the Oak. Made Spaghetti and ate with wife, filed chains while considering Polaris Oil change.

Monday....
Considered run of bad luck, and stayed inside finishing off Taxes that are already late. Nasty wind, don't wanna play with trees, but did consider oil change on the quad. Figured out early spray program calibration, to use leftover and cost more than Gold herbicides to avoid buying more and set up sprayer booms. Called spray Pilot and let him know the Snag and Oak wont be there this year so he can run the otherway on the field, when the fruit is on, so he wont wake me up buzzing the house.Dinner with Wife, filed chains, taxes done for now, considered oil change on Polaris, surfed net for quad Ideas.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nitroman,
Shoulder replacement or repair?

How far are you from Mt Redoubt? Are you seeing any ash from the eruptions?

Repair. Five different things done, rotator cuff, some lesions, a bicep tendon tear. Owwiiee.

Saw some really nice sunsets, had a smidgin' of grey ash on the snogo cowling, but nothing like they had in Anchorage. I am 400 miles away by air.

Took apart Stihl hedge trimmer gearbox, sharpened 124 edges with Dremel (I counted them) and cleaned 10 years of sap and crud off the blades

Rebuilt carb and replaced fuel lines - same hedge trimmer

Ran the Snapper to suck up oak leaves, put them around trees for mulch

Strung up the peas in my garden on a trellis

String trimmed a friend's commercial property for an hour or so

cut some daffodils for Mrs Kogafortwo

played ball with kids

watched Heli-Loggers recorded from Thursday night

cut some garden stakes out of scrap boards on the table saw

gotta work today and tomorrow, flying to Indiana for business

Easter weekend plans:
- change differential fluid in Jeep front diff
- plant rest of garden
- plant flower beds
- clean out A/C unit
- finish building a trebuchet with my son, use it to fling some dead squirrels to the gators

I sharpened chain for my neighbor. I heard him cuttng, then the saw bogging and protesting.. "he'll be down soon". Sure enough.. .

I dug dirt, humped compost and chips around all weekend. We went from snow three days ago to 70... spring won't wait for me..

HAHA we went from 60's on Thursday and rain to 3-4'' inches of snow last night.

fiddled with my new 084 and tore down my 044, then layed on the couch thinkn about what to do with them and how much cash to put into em. id like to do a crank in the 044 so i can go 75cc.

Saturday, was a saw and wood day, haven't had one of those in a while...too busy. Went to town with a friend to get parts for his saw that I'm doing some work on. Then, I made a few cuts on a big Pine log that he (same friend) had left over at his place from a professional take down (it needed a bucket truck and rigging because of powerlines and close to the house) so it could be moved with a dozer. Next was starting to limb a Gum and 2 Oaks that my mom-in-law had professionally took down (very close to her home, and one leaning the wrong way, and I don't ropes for pulling trees).

On the way home I leveled off an good sized Oak stump. Story is that across the highway from my house there is a little church (not where I attend). The Oak tree in their yard was cut down and my church and myself got the wood and volunteered to haul away what we didn't use. The day we were working on the tree, I had dropped something (cold weather shutter for a Stihl MS290 I was fooling with) into the partially hollow stump, and had to cut a piece off of the side of the stump to reach down to get it. I left the stump as it was, but decided that when I got my 044 running and got a bigger bar, that I would level the stump off. I just bugged me to see it 'butchered'. This was at least 2 years ago :rolleyes:. So I finally made time to use the 044 and 28" bar (skip chain) and do the job.

Next 'saw and wood' day(s) will be for finishing off the friends Stihl 028 WB, split and stack wood, cut more wood (Oak tops) that are waiting for me, and tackle a good sized Oak (in a pasture) that has a partially broke off limb (touches the ground) that I have permission to fall. I'll be posting pictures later.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back