What's on yur saddle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've heard that mb
in fact i believe over here its illegal to stick anthing to your helmet

ok

4 karabiners.....

thats it,

anything that is needed for a job gets stuck on as and when required,

i would have more toys but being skint and relying on teh gaffer to supply kit means i work with what he provides....bugger.

jamie

my schtick

8 foot double thread lanyard on left side, ditty bag left rear with smokes/lighter, tree climbers companion, throw line and the occasional cold beverage. 24 inch loop runner and a non locking biner for redirects, 12oz throw bag, my echo cs-340 on right side, and a spare double locking biner for double tie in points. I know i still haven't added a hand saw, but i'm waiting for that new silky tiger saw.

ps. i am a rookie climber so as i get better at it i will remove the TCC from my ditty bag.

Anthony

while we're chatting

any reccomendations on a good lanyard system. i have your traditional double rope snap with a prusik knot lanyard. Dont like it one bit. I was looking into either grillion or micro grab or gibbs with 1/2 inch 12 or 16 strand. i have used the 2 in 1 lanyard and it's pretty versatile...still though something mechanically adjustable may be better. Any advice fellas.

anthony

Lanyards and adjusters have been thrashed regularly. Like most ideas, there are two or more camps. With lanyards it falls into mechanical adjusers or hitches. Take a look at these ideas:

http://www.mytreelessons.com/Lanyard.html

Using the d-ring as the slack tender makes for a really compact, light weight, inexpensive, quick action adjuster. It only costs as much as the cord. No extra pieces to fiddle with.

Many of the climbers at work have converted and like the action. It works best with small side d-rings. If you have medium or large you need to pull slack out to the side, not straight back. If you pull back the hitch will invert.

My saddle has a pouch for ascender system/Pantin, Saddle Emergency Kit from Fresco, https://ecomecs.securesites.com/cgi...8-35889&WSC1037031288-18053&1037031439-20330, 5/8" spectra daisy chain with biner, 5/8"x24" Spectra sling. DEDA lanyard.

10 ft laynard 5/8 3 strand with a prusic attached right side with 13" fanno ( like the wrap around handle better than silky) 200T on my left attached to short strap. Also have large ladder hook on left side for bigger saws, snaps directly onto handle. Have to agree with Rocky on the first aid kit on the belt, band aids don't make it long in this biz, if I ever get cut bad enough to need it I will be coming down to get the napkins and duck tape.

On the left I carry one 10 ft. flipline, one 6 ft. buckstrap, and my echo. The right has my zubat and my climbing line, if gaffing a pine tree or what not.

I prefer 3/4” electrical tape as my “first aid kit”. It is easier to get your fingers to bend than the wider duct tape. I do keep a 1 1/2” roll just in case.

Justin, I have been chaining up a 10’ length of 3/8” regatta braid that I put an eye splice in to put on my saddle. Every time I go to climb I think “no I will not need this” and throw it back in the box. Your post has made me feel much better about using it. Thank you. Been working with the cow hitch without the eye splice in it when a loop runner is too long and too short to get the pulley tight against the limbs.

I have a 8' microjusting lanyard and zubat on the left. on the right is the chainsaw. back right is a 30" runner on a dmm boa biner. rope goes in the middle.

I used to climb w/ both saws on the right but my saw leach in combo w/ my mast2 wont let me do that now.

Left D-ring holds my lanyard, an 8ft split tail with gibbs ascender. Left back loop holds 2 aluminum screw gate biners, and keychain biner w/cmi micro pulley, I dont like the way loop runners tend to hang up on every little thing, so I put 2 18" and 2 12" loop runners in an old army M16 ammo pouch on the back left of my saddle. In that pouch I also cary a first aid kit and pressure dressing and a throw bag with about 20ft of line. The zubat also goes on the left side. I hang the 200 on the right side with a dog leash lanyard and clip the saw to a small clip to keep it from dangling around. I usually tie in with a tress cord and a swabisch With a petzl micro pulley, and have my groundie tend the slack as I hip thrust up, If I foot lock up the rope snap, tress cord, biner and pulley go on the right side next to the saw. I keep two steel biners on the back right side, most of the time I use one of these to rappell down using a munter hitch. This leaves a rope in the top of a spar so we can pull it over. My saddle weighs a ton, Im looking into getting another one. My Weaver floating D wide back is rugged as all get out, but its bulky and heavy, Im lookin into gettin the Ness or Pro-Versitile.

Kenn

On my saddle, on the left side I have a 11ft long lanyard out of 7/16 KMIII with a 4 over 3 self tending vt, tied directly to side D ring (Thanks Tom for the tip). In the back a loop runner and carabiner. I recently put my zubot on my leg, its much easier to put it away there and doesn't get hung up like when it is free hanging off saddle.

-Sep

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I hafta try that leg scabbard out.

Hey Butch
I tried it and it kept gettin caught when I stepped through branches and the handle liked to snag on twigs and get pulled out
But dont let that discourage you give it a try, you might like it!
Later
John

I hafta try that leg scabbard out.

I'm a big fan. Got tired of my laynard getting caught on the saw handle. Also, it was akward to get the saw out with all the other crap around. On the leg seems more natural.

12' steel core and saw lanyard on the right, climb line and friction hitch(if it isn't set in the tree), zubat, 2+ loop runners on left. Will add a second steel core w/gibbs for spar work.

Lou, my first boss once said, "Makes sense to keep the cutting tools on one side and the climbing tools on the other." Made sense to me, too. I usually have a nine foot lanyard on the left side and keep my chainsaw on the right. Leg scabbard for the Zubat on the right leg. FWIW, when I leg-scabbarded the Corona, it hooked all sorts of branches, but when I switched to the Zubat, it's more curved handle didn't catch as many branches.

On the back left side I keep...
1- The red ball to retrieve the Rope Guide
2- Super loud emergency whistle (it's tiny)
3- Gerber multi tool
4- A watch, permantently attached to my saddle and an alarm sounds every day at noon.

I clip all other climbing and rigging gear mostly on the back right side.

love
nick

On my left is a two in one 8' flip line, aluminum snaps on each end. Prussic and micro pulley to take up the slack, also my 13" pony say. On my right is my trusty o20. Those are my basics, if I need more gear I always have groundmen to tie it on. (How does that knot go again)

Latest posts

Back