What's so bad about Walnut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oppermancjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seems that I have read more than one post about how no one likes to burn Walnut. I've never worked on any but there are a few trees by one of our fields just down the road. I've been eyeballing them for a while. Probably won't take them down but I do see some Walnut from time to time that is available.

So, why is it so bad? Or is it?

It seems that I have read more than one post about how no one likes to burn Walnut. I've never worked on any but there are a few trees by one of our fields just down the road. I've been eyeballing them for a while. Probably won't take them down but I do see some Walnut from time to time that is available.

I burn walnut, it makes a nice white ash. I burn it when I need fast heat,like starting the stove. It doesn't burn for long and heat value is a little low, but I like the way it burns. I wouldn't go out of my way to get walnut, but if it is around I cut it and burn it.

We took down 2 huge (for our area) black walnuts this summer. The small one was about 36 inches diameter trunk about waist high and the other was just over 48 inches. I have over 2 cords split and stacked at my house. The wood has already lost about 1/2 it's weight by drying.

I have never burned any before but will see how it goes, I am sure it will accompany my hedge and black locust well.

Its not that it's that bad, it just isn't that good.

Considering it takes the same effort to work up Walnut and Oak..... I'll go for the Oak every time. Not saying I wouldn't take the Walnut though......

I find walnut not that bad if it is dry. It takes over a year for me to get walnut where I like it for moisture content, when it feels light then it is ready to light in the stove.

It does take walnut a while to dry. A branchless walnut log is quite valuable as furniture wood. It also makes good fenceposts, not as good as locust but not bad. I have seen walnut used (not meant to be seen) in many places in old houses, mostly as studs,etc.

It all Burns..
Mix it in with some Oak and/or Hard Maple..

I seem to find a lot of it. About 5 cords as of last weekend. There is probably another 1/2 cord in just trunk to get. I haven't even touched the tops yet.
It comes from a development where they build one or two lots every three months so once they knock them down I have to get them out or they get dozed up in a pile and ground up. I use it for shoulder season mostly but I can't pass it up.

Like others have said, it ain't so much that walnut is "bad"... just that there are better choices. As far as the "on printed paper" heating value, walnut is about like cherry, birch, hackberry and elm, but walnut has some disadvantages those others do not. For one thing walnut has a lot of oil in it and needs to be seasoned longer before it will burn well. It also doesn't coal-up much and tends to leave a lot of ash behind. And, like others have said, it burns-up relatively fast so it ain't a good "overnight" wood...and the faster it burns the higher the percentage of heat lost up the flue. Basically you end up loading the firebox more often, use a little more of it and clean out ashes more often than if you burn, say, hackberry or cherry.

Still, I don't leave it lay to rot... I just got done cleaning-up along the north side of my yard, took down 8 or so walnuts that were making a mess in my grass. I didn't spend any time on the smaller stuff, but I piled up quite a few 8 foot logs from 6/8-inch up to 24-inch diameter (still have one left to take down, the largest of the bunch). I'll get it bucked and split at my leisure, burn it mixed with the elm and such next fall/early winter... or maybe the season after that. I'd much rather burn walnut than, say, Box Elder, Willow, Cottenwood or Basswood... and lots of guys burn that stuff.

Yep walnut wood is pretty average stuff.
The walnut shells are a different story, when you have some walnuts for christmas throw the empty shells into the fireplace and watch them burn slow with a blue flame.
Think it would make great stove fuel if you had a source for them.

Last edited:
Even though it is "middle of the road" firewood there's something about working with it that means I'll usually cut it up and take it if available; must be the aroma and that dark brown center. It usually burns so-so and throws so-so heat but a few years ago I posted about a Walnut tree that I cut up that absolutely rocked-this threw heat like crazy. It was a much bigger Walnut then I usually get and was very dry so I'm sure that had a play in it, but Walnut usually isn't something that I get excited over-but usually end up still taking it to mix in.

Get a load of it and try it and experience it for yourself, then you'll know...

Yeah, last year the city I work for bought a lot next to the park. This lot had a huge walnut growing right on top the water main close to the street. They wanted rid of it, so I cut it up. Loaded on trailer there was close to 2 cords. I stopped by the local gas station to fill up on the way home. Lots of older guys with nothing to do all day hang out there. One older gentleman came up and said "that's a damn shame".
I said yes it is, it could have been an oak. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Because it is worth a million $'s!!! :rolleyes2:

*** BLACK WALNUT ***
black walnut trees
black walnut tree
Black Walnut tree 17" D 15' long

Seriously, burn it, it is fine.

Burn some walnut, we love the smell when it burns and it knocks the chill out and when seasoned get a fire going fast. I'll take all given to me.

Only problem with Walnut is most think it is worth a boat load of cash. I had a semi load of it a few years back could not move it to mills or veneer peelers at all so in the end it had no more value than any other firewood. It was all from one location no fences or other none wood intrusions in it. This was about a year before the big bust in housing.

255631d1349445870-img_0052-jpg
View attachment 255631
Only problem with Walnut is most think it is worth a boat load of cash. I had a semi load of it a few years back could not move it to mills or veneer peelers at all so in the end it had no more value than any other firewood. It was all from one location no fences or other none wood intrusions in it. This was about a year before the big bust in housing.

Save it then mill it make some really cool coffee tables and such.

I've put a lot of walnut thru the stove over the years.
The bark can make a mess once it's well seasoned as it falls with the black stringy stuff under the bark.
It most always splits easy and straight and smells great in the wood pile.
It aint oak or locust, but it'll burn better than a snow ball.

Process it and get it on your wood stack, let it season plenty. Like Whitespider mentioned, the "oils" in the wood, when not well seasoned doesn't make for optimal burn. Let it season. I throw it on the truck any time some is available.

Latest posts

Back