whats the best 100cc saw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok my brother has a new 660 Its a nice saw but i think you pay for the name ive got a few saws But they are getn older. im 6' tall 135 kg of solid build when i use a saw "most weekends" it dose a full days work, so are thinking about a new one, around the 100 cc size

I have a 999F and a Sachs Dolmar 143 , the 143 will out cut the 999F by a fair margin, it's like comparing a ported vs stock saw of the same capacity.

If you want a true "100 cc" saw, the 2100 husqvarna is the saw, if you ar willing to round to the nearest 3 ccs, a nice 7 series mac will make you smile, but only under certain conditions. Thoes old torquers won't be runnin the show untill you have them in aboout 50'' of wood. My 103cc 795 is a complete joke untill you bury the 42'' bar past the tip, then you better be ready . . . .

My 123cc super 797 is completely bad ass with a 25'' bar however,, this leades me to believe that my super 797 would just sing with a 50'', 60'', 72''. . . bar buried.

there are plenty of Home-a-lites that are bout 100ccs, but they are weak compared to their McC cousins, uglier to . . .

:popcorn:

I haven't run a 100cc Homie but if the big boys play like the 80cc XL-9xx series do, the Macs et. al. will have a good fight on their hands.

I guess no Pioneer fans have trolled by here yet... A Pioneer P62 / Poulan Pro 655 @ 98cc would hang with the others mentioned too.

If an older saw is worth considering, I'll second Brad's recommendation for a 655. Outside of Homelites, the Pioneer designed 655BP is one of my personal all time favorites. A Homelite 650 or 1050 are nice 100cc saws also.

Dan

Arrowhead is thinking right....the 655 pro and the P61/62 are probably the torquiest saw for a close to 100cc produced in somewhat modern fashion. Maybe I am use to them (Apologist LOL), but I think they were hard to beat on the stump, and pound for pound too. Modern stock saws I have cut timber with (460,660,372,385,390,394) don't run out the box like they did.

Last edited:
Arrowhead is thinking right....the 655 pro and the P61/62 are probably the torquiest saw for a close to 100cc produced in somewhat modern fashion. Maybe I am use to them (Apologist LOL), but I think they were hard to beat on the stump, and pound for pound too.

In their day they were hard to beat. My pops had about 13 of them at one time in various configurations. They were his favorite saws. However, 390XPW or 660 properly modded will walk all over a P-61/62/655.

I saw you mention trying a 395 once, I'll have a modded 395 soon that you're welcome to demo if you want (if for any other reason just to see how it handles.)

In their day they were hard to beat. My pops had about 13 of them at one time in various configurations. They were his favorite saws. However, 390XPW or 660 properly modded will walk all over a P-61/62/655.

I saw you mention trying a 395 once, I'll have a modded 395 soon that you're welcome to demo if you want (if for any other reason just to see how it handles.)

Hey now, I said in stock form. I know what you mean, I run a pair of built 390's. They are best offering in the woods in OR/WA for most of today's wood, period. I had the chance to cut quite a bit of scale with a friend's fairly recent 394 this summer. It acted like it was capable of so much more if it was modded. It was cool to play with their power and not pinch out on limbs lol, but it went through at one speed for the most part.

I'll just take your word for it and buy one if you can build one for me around April or so. Either that or a Jasha build if he could. I'm starting to think I don't want to get an 880 for another set of parts and bars again. It's a cool saw though, no doubt.

A couple of the ones (655s) my old man had were running large Tillotson HLs and reed cages from Homelite 2100s. Those were go-getter saws. He also did some work to the pistons and cut two finger ports in each jug. He had those Pioneer/Poulans about as turned up as they could be and still work reliably in the woods. I remember him running a 50" bar on the one.

Hard saw to find but Solo made a 603 that is a strong running saw. Not to heavy for its size but was hard on the frame because of the power. Removable plates on the transfer ports make it a hot rodders dream to modify. 103cc and made in Germany. Same carburetor type as the 066. Big muffler. If you want a good saw around 100cc don't pass on this one if you see it. Mike

I just picked up a solo 603 that is very cherry except for a crack in the starter cover that I have repaired. I will agree with the two earlier posts and say that it is very strong and almost feels like it is in the next class up in saw size. I also have a pristine 655BP, but haven't had the chance to pit one against the other. Truthfully a Stihl 064, Husky 385 or Dolmar 7900(or big bore) will do most everything we expect from a big saw including reasonable width milling, but as we are walking around in chainsaw Valhalla right now i'll just enjoy and let my head keep spinnin.

A ported 660 would be my choice. If the wood is really big, a ported 880. Hard to beat the power and weight of a ported 660 though. A ported 395 would work well also, just a little more weight.

Latest posts

Back