What's the BEST hearing protection on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

GoRving

I desperately need to conserve what little hearing I have left. Between guns, chainsaws, machinery, and wifey, I am now unable to comprehend alot of what is being said(maybe a good thing sometimes). I recently got a Homey 66 Wiz, and even wearing "average" earmuffs, that saw sounds like the muffs are barely doing anything. But ALL saws are loud. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I watched my dad become deaf from using chainsaws in the 1950s and 60's and I'm already legally deaf (too much exposure to loud 70's rock music according to the audiologist) so I have to look after what hearing I have left! So its the best muffs I can get [Peltor 10HA or B] plus earplugs as well when operating the muffler modded 880.

The older I get, the more I regret being stupid about my body when I was younger. It ages, you know, and things fail, especially muscles and joints. My Stihl helmet/muffs/mask combo is great at noise reduction, as long as the seal on the muffs is solid. But I have additional earplugs if I think they will become necessary over time.

As it stands, though I've listened to a LOT of loud rock music, been around loud machinery without ear protection in the Colorado mines, and had two wives (exes now) who were louder than air compression jackhammers, I can still hear someone whisper "beer" from four city blocks away. Conversely, I can't hear my wife at all for five feet away when she talks about the honey-do list.

#### it! If you think it's worth protecting, protect it. Everything wears out eventually, even the Stihl 044! :D :D :D

Do they work well, I was asking about devices like these in the other hearing protection thread... I like the idea of not needing to take off my ear protection and to still be able to talk...

The ”best” hearing protection is the one that you will use. From what I understand hearing loss is an exposure thing. Even at lower decibels, long term exposure to noise can cause hearing loss. I use elvex quietunes and I use them for just about everything even if the job does not require hearing protection. For saws and chippers, I wear a Rockman helmet with hearing protection and face shield. Try a bunch of things and see what will work well for you and your situation. If you like it, you will use it. Good Luck.

the best are 33db NRR ear plugs. running a chainsaw is very loud (duhhhh) and i bet that even with plugs you are still getting 90+db's from most saws. it doesn't take too long at that range to receive damage. when weather permits, i wear both when running saws or mowers.

I like the Peltor Optime III the are a 35db reduction , I order those for my crew.

There is some molded to your ear plugs that you can get.The process is simple~ish. A person comes and injects your ear with some cold slimey stuff that you need to sit there for 30 mins while it sets.There is some different gels they can make for noise reduction levels.

Plugs and muffs are the best, for the really loud stuff.

the optime III are not on the US website. the highest rated peltors on the US site are rated at 30 dB NRR. i also notice that the peltors are rated in SNR, where those sold in the US are rated in NRR. i'm not sure what the difference means.

the optime III are not on the US website. the highest rated peltors on the US site are rated at 30 dB NRR. i also notice that the peltors are rated in SNR, where those sold in the US are rated in NRR. i'm not sure what the difference means.

I'm sure you if your want to get too technical but in simple language they are two ways of arriving at a Noise Reduction (NR) performance measure for muffs. SNRs should be compared with SNRs and ot NRRs

See here: http://www.elvex.com/NRR.htm for a simple explanation of what NRRs and SRRs mean.

See here for how NRRs are calculated - Messy Huh!

The elvex site does a pretty good job of explaining things. It is one of the few ear muff and plug vendors that clearly state that the actual NRR achieved is user dependent. If a user is sloppy about the way they wear muffs or plugs they will not get the maximum benefit possible from these products.

One thing I have read is that it is impossible to get above about 36 dB NRR with standard muffs or earplugs and anyone who claims this is lying because the structure of the human head will transmit sound above these levels through the skull around the muffs or plugs. To achieve >36dB the head has to be completely encased in a lead helmet or similar.

One thing I have read is that it is impossible to get above about 36 dB NRR with standard muffs or earplugs and anyone who claims this is lying because the structure of the human head will transmit sound above these levels through the skull around the muffs or plugs. To achieve >36dB the head has to be completely encased in a lead helmet or similar.

yes, this was something i was saving for a later post.......i will check out the elvex site..... thanks.

I have found the soft foam ear plugs from AO Safety to be VERY comfortable to the point that I can have them in all day and not notice they are still in. I can still carry a conversation and listen to the engine of a tractor, mower, blower etc, and still hear well when I take them out.

When running the saws I generally wear the Forestry helmet for the convenience of the face shield and ear muffs, with my trimmer I have a screen face shield and ear muffs I will wear and combined with ear plugs I don't hear anything!

Found info on earplug superstore
The highest rated ear plug in the market has a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33, and the plugs with that level of rating are not made of wax.

The only way you can get higher than NRR 33 is by using ear muffs and ear plugs at the same time, and only then can you achieve an NRR of 34 or greater. An NRR of 34 requires NRR 20 ear muffs worn over NRR 33 ear plugs. You can get to an NRR of 36, but that requires the highest rated muff (NRR 30 or 31) and the highest rated plug (NRR 33) to be worn at the same time.

Latest posts

Back