What's the BEST hearing protection on the market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I have read is that it is impossible to get above about 36 dB NRR with standard muffs or earplugs and anyone who claims this is lying because the structure of the human head will transmit sound above these levels through the skull around the muffs or plugs. To achieve >36dB the head has to be completely encased in a lead helmet or similar.

So where would I find such a safety helmet? ;) I'm kidding LOL:cheers:

Thanks to all of you for those informative replies. I'm going to use some of the suggestions. It amazes me at how many folks around here(where I live) don't use any hearing protection. When they get old, they will wish they had of, but it will be too late(as in my case).

Found info on earplug superstore
The highest rated ear plug in the market has a noise reduction rating (NRR) of 33, and the plugs with that level of rating are not made of wax.

The only way you can get higher than NRR 33 is by using ear muffs and ear plugs at the same time, and only then can you achieve an NRR of 34 or greater. An NRR of 34 requires NRR 20 ear muffs worn over NRR 33 ear plugs. You can get to an NRR of 36, but that requires the highest rated muff (NRR 30 or 31) and the highest rated plug (NRR 33) to be worn at the same time.

From what I have read in the independent research literature it sounds like the earplug superstore are just trying to sell plugs.

It is very unlikely that even the very best plugs installed by the average user will reach 33dB. A very extensive set of independent tests have been done an a wide range of ear plugs. Even when fitted by expert audiologist earplugs, they were found at best make about 28 bd, and often as low as 20db when installed by an average user. Muffs have to be expertly fitted as well but the chances are better than ear plugs that that will be working close to right most of the time when worn by the average user.

Plugs and muffs if you really want to tone it down.

Aviation flight line trick, also raced a jet dragster, David Clark's are big enough that you can get another thick layer of foam in them, or a couple thinner layers, really helps. All muffs have room for a little more foam.

model10A.gif

As it has been stated ear protection will not completely dampen noise, it will slow down the damage. Any time spent in a noisy enviroment will cause hearing loss. Then there is the pitch, which in my view is as important as the sheer volume of sound. My McCullochs didn't bother me, but some Homelites did and as I learned this last weekend, those shrill little high revers were as bad as anything I have run. So, more to the point, if you subject yourself to a lot of noise, you will lose hearing.

As it has been stated ear protection will not completely dampen noise, it will slow down the damage. Any time spent in a noisy enviroment will cause hearing loss. Then there is the pitch, which in my view is as important as the sheer volume of sound. My McCullochs didn't bother me, but some Homelites did and as I learned this last weekend, those shrill little high revers were as bad as anything I have run. So, more to the point, if you subject yourself to a lot of noise, you will lose hearing.

Good point.

Yep agree 100%. A little noise over a long period can do more damage than short exposure loud noises.

Regarding pitch, an important aspect is it very dangerous for operators to only use PPEif it bothers them. Everyone's hearing is different and it could just be that an operator is not hearing those frequencies very well to begin with. Not taking action just further degrades their ability to hear those frequencies. This happened to cannoneers on board old sailing ships, they were told, "it's only the first volley that hurts so don't bother blocking your ears or you will prolong the pain". These guys went dead very quickly - not that probably anything would help much in those circumstances.

These are the ones I use, often when using my saw I will also have the helmet with ear muffs on as well:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_31083-98-92059-80025_0_?productId=3102175&Ntt=earplugs&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=earplugs$y=0$x=0

Now there may be better ones out there, but I have not worn a set that was more comfortable and these I can and do wear all day. I don't know if it's the fact they may be better than what they claim or not, but I know my .243 sounds like a BB gun with them in and sounds like a cannon with them not in.

I really like my Peltor Ultimate 10s. They're great sawing or shooting. Provide hearing protection and I'm going to get some for behind the head, too so I can wear my cowboy hat on the tractor (think sun shade). The only problem I've got, and it's not the muffs fault, is some safety glasses pinch my pressure points behind the ears under them and give me a headache. The MSA safety glasses at Home Cheapo are the most comfortable to me muffs or not and I wear them 40+ hours a week so I'm particular about safety glasses.

I need a dozen or so noise inhibitors because I always leave them here, there, and everywhere.

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered directly from Sensgard so I could get the higher protection 31 model. I also ordered some of their cheap safety glasses to tryout. They ship cheap USPS from their website.

http://www.sensgard.com/products-1

Wow. I ordered right from the Sensgard website and the mailman just dropped off my package. 48 hour turn around. I'll try them out today with my FS110R.

I desperately need to conserve what little hearing I have left. Between guns, chainsaws, machinery, and wifey, I am now unable to comprehend alot of what is being said(maybe a good thing sometimes). I recently got a Homey 66 Wiz, and even wearing "average" earmuffs, that saw sounds like the muffs are barely doing anything. But ALL saws are loud. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Get some custom ear plugs made. I did and they are the best thing!

http://protectear.com/

Wow. I ordered right from the Sensgard website and the mailman just dropped off my package. 48 hour turn around. I'll try them out today with my FS110R.

That is fast. Hope you like them. I've used mine several times now at the rifle range. True test will be when someone at the next bench shoots a comped barrel. That's some noise coming at you.

That is fast. Hope you like them. I've used mine several times now at the rifle range. True test will be when someone at the next bench shoots a comped barrel. That's some noise coming at you.

I'll have to try that too. I used them yesterday running my FS110R for an hour. They were comfortable and seemed to work well. I could just fit them over my ball cap that I wear for sun protection.

Latest posts

Back