whats the cost of a good wood stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i been using a old shenandoah as some of you know. its a fine stove but man does it destroy the wood. my wood has been free but if a good stove aint much money maybe ill go that route any suggestions?

Really depends on how fancy you want it to look. I'd say you can get a decent black steel plate stove in the $1k - $2k range. I bought a new enameled VC defiant last year ,takes a 24" stick, for about $2400. More than i really wanted to spend.......... but Whats-Her-Name insisted on a higher end enameled stove since its the first thing anyone sees when they enter our home. I happened to be looking at soapstone stoves online just yesterday, and they can run up to $4k ! :dizzy:

I'd be looking on CraigsList though, if it were me. No shortage of nice, late model used stoves there lately.

free standing or insert ? check out http://www.pacificenergy.net/
I have a Pacific Insert , and it keeps my 1280 sq. ft. built in 1975 with single pane windows house a nice *75 , and it's been in the teens at night , it doesn't have the fancy looks of the higher end stoves , but it equals it in performance , and the cost was $1600.00 for the stove and $125.00 for the stainless pipe , bought the pipe used and it looked like new .

3-12-2006036.jpg

Last edited:
HR, one of the best moves I ever made was getting rid of the stove, and going with the Harman wood boiler tied into the oil unit. The whole house is the same temp, & we have :) FREE :) hot water as long as it's burning. All the 'mess' is in the basement too. If there's any chance of a combo wood furnace in your house, check in to it -

Watch the paper craigslist and evilbayon occasion. Estate sales and auctions also.
I piked up a "baby" Buck stove insert for $75 in the paper. Made a leg kit, bought the flue adapter, new rope gasket and a couple cans of paint for another $100.
All three stages of the blower work fine and it blows away the little Century airtight we had!!
Deals are out there!

That's a pretty broad question, some more details would certainly be helpful...

Your best bang for the $ (in a new stove) is probably Englander. The big box stores discount unsold stoves toward the end of the season. There are typically some really good deals to be had if you can get one.

If anyone near Milwaukee, WI has one they want to sell let me know. Our $1,100 plumbing bill knocked the socks off our wood stove piggy bank. Yes, I am watching Craig's list and ebay too....... so far either I'm too slow to act or the $$ is too much.

Shari

Ain't pretty but it sure puts out the heat

I use a double barreled vogelzang, costing less than $200 to heat 3 stories and nearly 3,000sq ft. more efficiently and with less operating cost than $6,000 dollar outdoor boiler setups!

One firebrick lined barrel setup will cost you less than 100 bucks and give you all the heat you'd probably need. Not pretty, but performs stellar for small coinage.

b8a3_1.JPG

TS

Last edited:
Both my father and I run different versions of Dutchwest stoves and are happy with them. More details would help. Whole house/supplement/size....

I replaced my old stove with a Jotul Oslo last spring. I wish I did it years ago. I bought in the spring – off season for $1700. I could not be happier. Good luck to you.

ok sorry house is about 1200sqft. id be putting it inthe cellar so i guess the its 2400sqft. now i heat ny house 100% from wood nothing else. i dont care what it looks like its in the cellar. i thought about the barrels origionally but my dad thought i was crazy. he was like youyr gonna trust your life to a friggin chincy azz barrel?

the guy i got the stove off of i use now switched to a indoor wood furnace hes having problems with it but i think that was like 6k, theres no way i could spend that. im at work so i cant really get into it but ill give more info tonight when i get home.

he was like youyr gonna trust your life to a friggin chincy azz barrel?

Pappy is well intentioned, but lacking knowledge in this area. Thousands of experienced wood burners all over america have used them for decades. Properly lined with firebrick, they can last much longer than most would suppose.

TS

I gave $450.00 for this used Englander insert off CL in late November.

3050767565_a96fa31017_b.jpg

With some paint, new gaskets, and a new combustor, it looks like this now.

3111723844_258bdebaa3_b.jpg

3110880491_1d9a448199_b.jpg

I've been waiting since Dec. 4th for a section of 8" flex round to oval pipe but it seems to be on backorder forever. I can't wait to fire this baby up, it was in the 80's over the weekend but it is below 30 today!

If you look around you might find a newer version of the Englander insert like this in a slightly smaller non catalytic version for under 1K. The new model is NC13 I believe and if it is built anything like my 650lb monster 24JC it should be pretty good.

Oh, I just re read that you were looking for a stove, not an insert! But I agree with the other posters, good deals do pop up on CL frequently just be ready to pounce!

Last edited:
now that's low costs!!

my vote is keep an eye on craigslist... all sorts of high grade wood stoves pop up for low $$$... problems is the really good deals are gone instantly.

you've also need to be patient for one to pop up. if you've got an existing setup. it's time to keep an eagle eye on craigslist.

if you know of a craigslist junkie... ask them to keep an eye out for ya..

I use a double barreled vogelzang, costing less than $200 to heat 3 stories and nearly 3,000sq ft. more efficiently and with less operating cost than $6,000 dollar outdoor boiler setups!

One firebrick lined barrel setup will cost you less than 100 bucks and give you all the heat you'd probably need. Not pretty, but performs stellar for small coinage.

b8a3_1.JPG

TS

Stove

I purchased my Jotul Castine F400 in 2006 for $2000 out the door. Overpaid im sure but I bought it in November. And thats not including piping. I installed everything myself so i made it up there. Im very happy with it but if i had the room i would have bought the biggest that would fit. Im going to expand my kitchen in the next few years and am considering a wood cooking stove in there too. I dont see much mention of them on this site. Im going to look into that.

Wood Cook stove

I'm still waiting for one of these to pop up on craig's list for a couple hundred bucks or so:

princess1.jpg

lol.

Wishful thinking.

wood cooking

Id love one of those too. I posted a new thread regarding the subject. I didnt want to take this good thread off topic.

Bought my Fisher, Gramma Bear for $250. HAdnt been used in years, just sitting in someones basement that did not burn any longer. Deals are out there, you just have to keep your eyes open. I sold my box store stove to a guy for $350 and he was happy to get it!

Can you show us a picture of how you brick line that barrel stove. Never seen one myself and thought it was a wacky idea.

my last house i installed a Harmon Central heating unit its basically a hot air furnace that burns wood or coal it cost around $2200 that was about 5 yrs ago. That furnace was the best investment would like to install one in my current home but for now have a older Vermont Casting stove that was here when home was purchased

good luck
check around for used like everyone else suggested

That's a pretty broad question, some more details would certainly be helpful...

Your best bang for the $ (in a new stove) is probably Englander. The big box stores discount unsold stoves toward the end of the season. There are typically some really good deals to be had if you can get one.

Both my father and I run different versions of Dutchwest stoves and are happy with them. More details would help. Whole house/supplement/size....

what they said!
the two brands are joined at the hip along with century hearth. good value!

Back