What's the deal with my 034 Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto Vita

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought it in the late 80s to replace an 032. It has never really impressed me, it vibrates more than my 026 Pro or my 044, it just doesn't feel good, or smooth, when cutting. I replaced the handle with the plastic 036 part and updated the clutch/rim sprocket to the larger splines. I'm not sure if either of those things helped but if I use another saw and then pick up the 034 I instantly notice that it's less pleasant to run. I've tried 16", 18", and 20" bars with different chains, all 3/8", I suspect that .325 would be smoother but I use 3/8" comfortably on my 026.
Given it's power and weight it should be my #1 go to saw, but it's always last off the shelf. It's other un-endearing quality is that occasionally it will decide to dump the contents of it's oil tank on my shelf, not every time though.
So is it me, is my saw possessed, or is that just the way they are?

replace the oil line that runs from pump to oil filter.

What do you take your rakers down to when sharpening them? I want a pic of the chain you use. Side pic preferably.

I have encountered the very same thing with an 034. The vibes aren't terrible but it's not exactly smooth either. The oil leak is fixable but it could be a number of things. They are a good saw and have great longevity.

replace the oil line that runs from pump to oil filter.

What do you take your rakers down to when sharpening them? I want a pic of the chain you use. Side pic preferably.

I've used many different chains, and bars, over the years. I normally take my chains to the saw shop when the rakers need attention. I interchange chains and bars between my three saws.

I have encountered the very same thing with an 034. The vibes aren't terrible but it's not exactly smooth either. The oil leak is fixable but it could be a number of things. They are a good saw and have great longevity.

You're right about the vibration, if it was the only saw I had I'd think it was normal.

all the "0" series stihls have about the same exact AV on them. All fixed rubber. Chain chatter is usually the bulk of a rough cutting saw. matching your rakers to the material you are cutting is crucial. Just because a saw shop does them doesn't mean they are done right. In my experience whoever is running the grinder at a dealer, doesn't know exactly what they are doing and doesn't care either. If you are cutting hard wood and your rakers are down to .030-.035 you are going to chatter and grab like crazy. Does it still have AV problems with a brand new chain?

If you are too sensitive to the vibe coming from a 034 the same vibes should be coming from an 026/044/036 etc. You might need to go to a spring AV system on a newer style saw like the makita or husqvarnas.

I bought it in the late 80s to replace an 032. It has never really impressed me, it vibrates more than my 026 Pro or my 044, it just doesn't feel good, or smooth, when cutting. I replaced the handle with the plastic 036 part and updated the clutch/rim sprocket to the larger splines. I'm not sure if either of those things helped but if I use another saw and then pick up the 034 I instantly notice that it's less pleasant to run. I've tried 16", 18", and 20" bars with different chains, all 3/8", I suspect that .325 would be smoother but I use 3/8" comfortably on my 026.
Given it's power and weight it should be my #1 go to saw, but it's always last off the shelf. It's other un-endearing quality is that occasionally it will decide to dump the contents of it's oil tank on my shelf, not every time though.
So is it me, is my saw possessed, or is that just the way they are?

since you purchased the saw in the 1980's, it is likely the 56cc, 46mm cylinder model. you can upgrade to the 48cc cylinder that came out in the early 1990's and bump it up to 62cc for a more satisfying experience. as far as i can tell there is little difference between the later 034's and the 036. These are very good general purpose saws. most guys like them.

you might want to check the engine mounts. if you haven't replaced them by now, some or all are probably defective. they are made of rubber, glued to steel "washers" the adhesive eventually fails. the engine doesn't fall off the tank/handle, but it gets sloppy. the mounts are easy to replace and the saw feels like new again.

take care of the plastic dust cover around the clutch drum. don't over heat the clutch. those plastic parts are no longer available and hard to find.

There are several sellers on ebay that have NOS ones for $11 each and AM has already picked up production on most of the 036/360 parts.

~$4.25 AM dust cover
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-034-0...553891?hash=item3ac08cc423:g:zjYAAOSwQJhUhW1a

that's the wrong part. it is used on later models. the one for earlier models, like those made in the 1980's, are two pieces, upper and lower. the part number is 1125 021 1200.

here's what it looks like. thanks chainsawr dot com, a good guy to deal with. he does not have this in stock.

fridayfriday_001_large.jpg

that's the wrong part. it is used on later models. the one for earlier models, like those made in the 1980's, are two pieces, upper and lower. the part number is 1125 021 1200.

here's what it looks like. thanks chainsawr dot com, a good guy to deal with. he does not have this in stock.

fridayfriday_001_large.jpg

Mine is the two piece, although it doesn't use a screw in the smaller part like in the photo, I just had it off today while changing the oil hose as directed. The saw has drooled oil since day one but I'm not opposed to changing rubber parts every couple of decades.
The 034 motor mounts feel firm and good, unlike my 026 which should probably get a new set as they're a little sloppy. The 034 really hasn't been run that many hours, for it's age, since it is frequently bypassed in favor of other saws, right now it's sitting on a clean bench so I can look for oil drips. Is it likely that the tank vent could hold pressure in the tank, forcing oil through the pump?

Mine is the two piece, although it doesn't use a screw in the smaller part like in the photo, I just had it off today while changing the oil hose as directed. The saw has drooled oil since day one but I'm not opposed to changing rubber parts every couple of decades.
The 034 motor mounts feel firm and good, unlike my 026 which should probably get a new set as they're a little sloppy. The 034 really hasn't been run that many hours, for it's age, since it is frequently bypassed in favor of other saws, right now it's sitting on a clean bench so I can look for oil drips. Is it likely that the tank vent could hold pressure in the tank, forcing oil through the pump?

they didn't use a screw for the bottom piece. i'm not sure what exactly the retainer looked like, but it think it was plastic and molded into the cover, perhaps a round pin and a clip that fits into a rectangular cavity. there is a hole, maybe 4mm in that it fits into. since you have one in your hand, maybe you could enlighten me. i fabricated a bottom piece out of plastic that i had in the shop and found something that i could jam in that hole to secure it.

usually tank vents only work in one direction. they let air in to replace the fluid that has been pumped out. so, yes it's possible that the tank could become pressurized in warm temperatures. you may want to remove the oil pump and see how it connects to the oil tank and guide bar. last time i did it was more than ten minutes ago and i can't remember...

don't under value the 034/036. they're good saws. you may want to look around for a 48mm cylinder and piston. i'd swap a dozen 026's for one good 036.

they didn't use a screw for the bottom piece. i'm not sure what exactly the retainer looked like, but it think it was plastic and molded into the cover, perhaps a round pin and a clip that fits into a rectangular cavity. there is a hole, maybe 4mm in that it fits into. since you have one in your hand, maybe you could enlighten me. i fabricated a bottom piece out of plastic that i had in the shop and found something that i could jam in that hole to secure it.

The smaller lower piece has a molded peg that is part of the molded cover piece, that fits into the 4mm hole on the saw. The peg is split lengthwise so it has a little bit of spring like tension inside the hole but the peg seems to be more for locating the part than retaining it.

The smaller lower piece has a molded peg that is part of the molded cover piece, that fits into the 4mm hole on the saw. The peg is split lengthwise so it has a little bit of spring like tension inside the hole but the peg seems to be more for locating the part than retaining it.

thanks-

that's how i pictured it from examining the case. i used an allen screw, don't remember if it was sae or metric, covered with shrink wrap. it goes thru a hole in the plastic piece i made and fits snugly in the case. so far its holding. i keep looking for this part. i'll find it some day. this isn't the only early 034/036 part that is different. i was lucky to find an air filter cover. my local stihl dealer had one in his junk pile.

i bought my 034 for under $100. it had the usual broken control shaft bracket (#&@% stihl) so the tank had to be replaced. i found one from an 036 and it worked very well. someone had already upgraded it to the 48mm top end and the piston/cylinder were in good shape. some of the mounts had been damaged by a gorilla trying to wrench it out of a pinched cut. an air filter/cover, a clutch cover, a bar and chain and probably a few things i've forgotten were needed to get it ready for the dance. i like having one good stihl because the guys in my village don't like to be seen with any other brand and i sometimes hire them. it has better than average power for a 60cc class saw. i think i would prefer it over the 044 in many applications. the 044/046's are a little clutsy(?) but the 036 is lithe and nimble.

Maybe its just the way the saw is? A mate has an 038 Magnum, and although its been a reliable and hardworking machine for the 12 or more years he has owned it, I have noticed its very harsh to use...like I'm holding a solid block of steel..hard to explain,but its not a pleasant saw to use compared to the 440,661 etc.
I think its probably just the AV setup. I have a huge amount of respect for the 038 though, man that saw has warmed many families for all those years, hasn't even had a plug change yet! But it is a harsh, "hard" saw to cut with.

I've been trying to identify the oil leak, I never really tried before, although I did take it back to the dealer a couple of times when it was new.
I'm guessing that it is leaking through the oil pump and the reason that it leaks intermittently is due to the position of the pump piston when the clutch stops spinning. I see that the oil pump is an older style that is no longer available and replaced by a newer pump. Does anyone have an opinion of the new pump vs the older one? It's a rather expensive part so I'd rather not order it without knowing it will fix the problem.

As to vibration, I cut 99% soft wood, and the vibration is immediately noticeable when the engine is revved up to start a cut, before the cut is started. If I haven't been running another saw the same day then the vibration doesn't seem terrible, but it is noticeable.

My sprocket bearing went south and took out my pump. The new pump works the same as the old. Sometimes mine will leak and sometimes it doesn't . It has a mind of its own. The vibration is just as you describe. I have considered putting the larger displacement 036 top end on to see if that changes anything but can't bring myself to change out perfectly good parts.

My sprocket bearing went south and took out my pump. The new pump works the same as the old. Sometimes mine will leak and sometimes it doesn't . It has a mind of its own. The vibration is just as you describe. I have considered putting the larger displacement 036 top end on to see if that changes anything but can't bring myself to change out perfectly good parts.
Put some foam on ur grip

OP, a lot of saws leak oil because the heat from the engine pressurized the oil tank. You might try cracking the oil cap after shutting it down.

OP, a lot of saws leak oil because the heat from the engine pressurized the oil tank. You might try cracking the oil cap after shutting it down.

I've thought of that several times,... while wiping up a pool of oil.

Thanks, I won't bother trying a new pump. I guess it's as the dealer told me decades ago "that's just the way they are".

It's hard to imagine that a larger, and presumably heavier, piston would decrease vibration, but anything's possible.
So does anyone here have experience with both an 034 and 036, or 036 conversion, that can comment on running differences between the two other than "More Power"?

A heavier piston might be smoother if it's more in balance with the crankshaft counterweights.

Latest posts

Back