What's the deal with my 034 Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run a poulan 2000 or a old homelite for
never noticed excessive vibrations. i'm just glad it started.
My oh34 has been dead nuts reliable. Only issue I ever had was a spark plug came loose, to find out it was the wrong plug. That issue has been fixed asap

Run a poulan 2000 or a old homelite for

My oh34 has been dead nuts reliable. Only issue I ever had was a spark plug came loose, to find out it was the wrong plug. That issue has been fixed asap

My 034 has also been completely reliable, but I haven't run it that much due to it's vibration and oil leaking, I have an 026 that is about 15 years newer and has seen more use, including a lot of use that really should have been with a bigger saw, that has needed several minor repairs. I'd buy another 026, but I wouldn't buy another 034. I certainly wouldn't trade the 034 back for the 032 that it replaced though.
I also have an 044 that I bought when I bought the 034 in the 80s, that is the only saw I've ever had that has never given me anything to complain about.

I take it the saw was used when you purchased it?....And is it only when cutting that it has excessive vibration?

The saw was purchased new, as were all my current saws. I took the 034 back to the dealer a couple of times when new, complaining of vibration/rough cutting and oil leaking. The dealer, who is a pretty good guy, said that's just the way they are, there was nothing wrong with it.
Vibration is immediately noticeable before starting a cut, it's possible that what I've always considered rough cutting is just the vibration combined with normal chainsaw sensations. The saw actually cuts pretty well and is probably the optimal power/weight/size for much of my use. I really would like to like it better.

Ok I might be on the wrong topic my oh34 is a oh34 av super if that has anything different to be said about the vibes. I run 3 different chains. Semi chiz, full chiz full chiz skip. All 3 run smoothly on my saw.
I'd be wondering if it is the difference in Slug n jug between 034 and the super.
I traded a Honda spree moped for the 034 av super and glad I did.
I do get oil leaks from the old oil cap, it was shot, but now it leaves about the same amount of oil laying around as any of my other saws.

I'll throw in my two cents here. The vibration you describe here could be a badly worn sprocket or a sprocket that just plain doesn't like the chain. In short, they hate each other. You might want to try a rim sprocket to see if that improves anything.

It did come with a rim sprocket, the one with the really small splines. I upgraded it to the larger splines, the same as my 044, hoping that would be more stable. I think it did help a little bit, just not as much as I would have liked.

It did come with a rim sprocket, the one with the really small splines. I upgraded it to the larger splines, the same as my 044, hoping that would be more stable. I think it did help a little bit, just not as much as I would have liked.
Is ur saw the 034. Or 034 av super? Guess I'm left hanging on exactly what oh34 has the vibes. If they shake that bad let the wife run it. Shakin saw, satisfied wife lol

Well, it's about a week later and my 034 is almost an 036. I installed the piston and cylinder and noticed the plastic wouldn't fit because of the bigger fins on the cylinder so I trimmed the plastic ribs a bit so it would fit, then realized the cylinder was made for a compression release so I installed one of them. Of course the plastic cover didn't have a hole for the cr so I went ahead and ordered a complete set of 036 plastic including new air filter which it needed. Now I get to wait some more for the plastic plus a muffler and heat shield.

Well, it's about a week later and my 034 is almost an 036. I installed the piston and cylinder and noticed the plastic wouldn't fit because of the bigger fins on the cylinder so I trimmed the plastic ribs a bit so it would fit, then realized the cylinder was made for a compression release so I installed one of them. Of course the plastic cover didn't have a hole for the cr so I went ahead and ordered a complete set of 036 plastic including new air filter which it needed. Now I get to wait some more for the plastic plus a muffler and heat shield.
I ran into this no-hole plastic problem with a 311 upgrade to a 391 and with an 034 upgrade to an 036. My "redneck solution" was to drill a hole in the shroud using a Forstner bit, making sure that I could get to the decomp valve for installation and removal. Then I enlarged it with filing to accomplish the mission. That worked for me.

I ran into this no-hole plastic problem with a 311 upgrade to a 391 and with an 034 upgrade to an 036. My "redneck solution" was to drill a hole in the shroud using a Forstner bit, making sure that I could get to the decomp valve for installation and removal. Then I enlarged it with filing to accomplish the mission. That worked for me.
About my luck I'd drill the hole in the wrong place. I'll probably resell the two plastic pieces some day if I don't need them or keep them in my Stihl pile..

Latest posts

Back