What's the dumbest thing you've ever done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The dumbest thing that I do on a regular basis with chainsaws is continue to buy more. After the storing the 300 mark it becomes very hard to explain. I have to continually remove other things to make room for saws. Soon we will be decorating the Christmas tree with top handle saws and making guests sit on the big saws. The Husky couch is in the works.

fed a 6" x 15' CURVED fir limb into the chipper, stood to the side, looked at the feed chute for a second and WHAMMO! the butt end of the curved limb had swung up and clocked me in the chin. big bloody ding on my chin, and my pride wounded....:laugh:

ArtB said:
1975 - Took Fops off old D2 to replace clutch plate. Snowstorm before Fops got put back on. Pulled 5 trees leaning toward house with snow loads, OK. 6th tree cable a little too short - I can dodge that if need be - trunk broke, rather than pull root ball. Woke up 2 days later in hospital with 37 bone pieces instead of a head, went home 2 weeks later. Wife said good thing it hit me where it couldn't do no hurt to nuthin' worthwhile!.

Ouch. Bet that is in the back of your mind now when pulling stumps.

BTW, where the heck is renton, washington?

Well, let's see..................... I got MARRIED!!!!! That was really dumb!!!!

Oh, and I cut the top of my thumb off with a mitre saw.

Andy

bump_r said:
This one night, me and my buddy were in Applebee's...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!!

MAN!!!! I am just getting pounded on here today :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ok, I have to add that I started the "When do we get the "L" back" thread.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
MAN!!!! I am just getting pounded on here today :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ok, I have to add that I started the "When do we get the "L" back" thread.
Andy

Answering Andy's "L" thread...........

look up an live

i was clearin a lot that a friend was going to build his shed on first three tress no problem four big trouble i failed to notice the widow maker 30 feet up. needless to say said widow maker did come down knock me he@@of a headache:mad: luck i walk away and was not killed or paralyzed. two things to learn from this 1: wear ppe, 2: LOOK UP AND LIVE

OK dont kill me on this one. Got a new husky riding mower and disabled the automatic shut off safety when you get off the seat, soooo one day ran over a ground nest belonging to some nasty yellow jackets. yes they where pissed and came after me and i jumped off not thinking and the new mower ran down the hill towards the neighbors pond, after realizing that i was watching my mower and not someone else's (yellow jacket panic) i ran after her tripping and rolling down most on the hill. the mower hit a small pine in the way and stopped but i found myself in some nice mud. At least nobody was around but the neighbor had a giggle when i had to ask for a tow back up the hill with his tractor. :bowdown:

In reading these incoming posts I realized the real function of this thread.

To make us not feel so stoopid for the not so brilliant things we have done ourselves.

For example, when reading about dropping widowmakers (he's lucky to be alive) I don't feel quite as mad at myself for my having got my hand into my big bandsaw about 5 wks ago. I started to add that event to this thread last night and then changed my mind because I am actually pretty embarrased by the event as a full time woodworker. And still mad at myself about it. But reading these threads reminds me I am not the only fool.

I like it better when I have gotten off scott free from a moment of carelessness, but in the long run I guess anything that doesn't kill you makes you smarter - or at least more careful.

So keep the posts coming, I feel smarter by the minute.

And if there is a thread like this again in 40 years, hopefully I can still say this was the dumbest thing I've ever done.

Worked for tree service back in '87 out of Sherwood, OR. Kinf of place where you learn by doing, no training, mostly alcoholics and cranksters (but some solid guys when sober).

The skidders where mostly made of spare parts and snot, but the winches ("wenches") were bomber. Pulled a 12 in alder right over the top of the Mountain Logger leaving it perfectly balanced in the air, the other guys stood around laughing and then the boss drove up...who didn't think it was so funny.

Dropped a maple on a steep hill, truck parked below; the crew boss had asked if I wanted to move the truck first, I said no. Damn thing fell about 120 degrees from where I wanted it, right over and past the truck...took off the mirror with a limb and dented the roof. I didn't realize it was hollow. After I had quit, I heard that a new guy dropped a big fir square on the mechanic's cherried-out old pick-up. The mechanic chased him with a wrench trying to kill him---and he probably would have if he could have caught him, but lucky for the new guy, the m. was slow.

Taking only one wedge up a good sized Grand fir that I was taking down. I had to take two chunks out of it before I could fell it. The first piece (upper 40 ft) went fine, no wedge needed. The second piece was clean, 30 ft and about a foot thick at the cut; I buried the wedge but it didn't go, and there I am 50 ft. off the ground with just a flip line. Well, I had time to think, and decided to climb down, which I did while looking up the whole time and sweating bullets. Dropped the whole thing from the ground, narrowly missing a garage. Next time I loaded up my pockets with wedges.

Probably when I married my 1st wife! Other than that I have never made a mistake. :biggrinbounce2:

After running all kinds of saws for years, here is my stupidest. Fourth of July at my parents house. Early AM so no beers involved yet. Small 14" Electric chain saw, 6' ladder, 10' Bradford Pear. My mom, could you cut this 2" branch off that was hanging over the AC unit. No problem, cut through the branch and as it started to fall, my mom says, " don't let it hit the Hosta". Well it's your mom, even when you are 40 you still do what she says. Before thinking I reached under the saw and caught the butt of the branch, The saw wasn't running under power, but it dropped far enough to catch my forearm. Trip to the Hospital, 27 stitches later, now I was ready for a beer. My dad was furious at my mom, but I new better. If it was a gas saw, I never would have thought to reach under it. Same chain, just as sharp!

Answering Andy's "L" thread...........

mine was reading Andy's "L" thread......

Oh and listening to the boss when he says

Just cut the damn thing,it'll fit pu$$y

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

Oh n then theres this damn thing i do....

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Murr

Last edited:
Let's see, one (there's more) of dumbest thing I ever did was,
crawled under a 25,000 lb bulldozer that was "high-centered" up on a stump.
Took a shovel and my 028. I 1st. dug a deep enough hole so if the dozer fell, I had a place to hide. Then I proceeded to cut away on the stump.
to a point that when I got back on the dozer, i could snap it off and go free.
Lesson learned? Don't back a bulldozer into a stump field (DAH!)

OH also? Don't crawl underneath one and start sawing (Double-DAH!)

Does anyone think it's rather brash to put a huge target on the side of a building and then name the store after it? Hmm.

Pfft

I don't even know where to start... Lets see, DWI in front of my house, while talking to another dude when I was a steelworker the chain looped the hook and lifted an 8000lb bundle of steel with my fingers in between. I set a pepsi down next to a 2" sheet of 5X10 aluminum to cut in half, took a big drink and YES, Aluminum filings down the hatch... Was yanking out 2" sch80 pipe, gave it a slap down to clear it out of the pile but forgot to pull my fingers out, took the top of one of them off. Know of an idiot buddy of mine that got a forklift stuck, instead of getting a truck to pull it out, he had someone hit the gas while he stood on the side and rocked back and forth like a crazed monkey, his foot slipped in between the hard rubber tire and the steel fender, pretty much broke his foot in half and cut through full blown Steel metatarsel guards on the boots, bad thing is I wouldn't let him get in my new truck until I put newpaper down to keep the blood from getting everywhere, lmfao... I could go on for days really. So many stupid things, so little time...:popcorn:

ciscoguy01 said:
I don't even know where to start... Lets see, DWI in front of my house, while talking to another dude when I was a steelworker the chain looped the hook and lifted an 8000lb bundle of steel with my fingers in between. I set a pepsi down next to a 2" sheet of 5X10 aluminum to cut in half, took a big drink and YES, Aluminum filings down the hatch... Was yanking out 2" sch80 pipe, gave it a slap down to clear it out of the pile but forgot to pull my fingers out, took the top of one of them off. Know of an idiot buddy of mine that got a forklift stuck, instead of getting a truck to pull it out, he had someone hit the gas while he stood on the side and rocked back and forth like a crazed monkey, his foot slipped in between the hard rubber tire and the steel fender, pretty much broke his foot in half and cut through full blown Steel metatarsel guards on the boots, bad thing is I wouldn't let him get in my new truck until I put newpaper down to keep the blood from getting everywhere, lmfao... I could go on for days really. So many stupid things, so little time...:popcorn:
I take it you weren't always a network engineer? BTW, do you have your CCNA? I'm curious because of your user name.

Yea mon

spacemule said:
I take it you weren't always a network engineer? BTW, do you have your CCNA? I'm curious because of your user name.
CCNA/CCDA/Net+, CCNP SW/RA/CIT

ciscoguy01 said:
CCNA/CCDA/Net+, CCNP SW/RA/CIT
Damn! That's tough stuff. I took a semester of a 2 year Cisco program, but the school cancelled the program from lack of participation and the resignation of the instructor. I still find the stuff interesting though.

Latest posts

Back