What's the dumbest thing you've ever done?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks

spacemule said:
Damn! That's tough stuff. I took a semester of a 2 year Cisco program, but the school cancelled the program from lack of participation and the resignation of the instructor. I still find the stuff interesting though.

If your interested in still attaining the Cert I'll send you all the stuff you need from when I was teaching the classes dude. PM me if you'd like it eh?

sedanman said:
What is the one thing that when it when it was over made you wonder how you got out alive.

Join AS and started buying chainsaws

I'm lucky to be alive. Thought my wife was going to kill me! ;)

And it's not over yet!

Trigger-Time said:
Join AS and started buying chainsaws

I'm lucky to be alive. Thought my wife was going to kill me! ;)

And it's not over yet!

Don't run a 7900 then. It may follow you home.:hmm3grin2orange:

Walked up behind my brother when he was cutting with an old 070. He turned around with the saw and got me in the leg. Luckily the saw was winding down, and it just tore my overalls and scatched my leg. Brother almost fainted.

Last month I was bucking up a tree that blew down onto my woodshed. Standing on the lean-to over the doorway, stretching out at arms length to reach that last limb, when the roof collapsed. down came saw, tree, roof and myself all intermingled. Luckily, I managed to hook an elbow over the gutter of the main roof and slow my fall til everything else hit the ground. No damage to me or the 044, but the roof's a mess.

I noticed one guy posted a car-related item...

It was around 1990, on the I-95 interstate in CT in my crappy '75 Nova and I come up on a traffic jam. Not unusual---but then I came up on the cause, an entire bed in the center lane, kind of laid out in a series: mattress, sideboards, headboards (no boxspring). Well, eastcoast drivers tend to be me-first, and I couldn't get left or right; so, I said screw it and drove over the mess. I few minutes later, I'm going along at around 60 mph with my tape deck booming out Bob Marley ("We're Jammin'"), and some guy starts honking at me and waving. WTF? So I turned down the tapedeck and heard this noise, kind of like "shhhhhcckkk". Looking out the window, I see that the mattress is sticking out from under the car.

I pulled over, yanked on the mattress, but it wouldn't budge; it had rolled up behind the front tires crosswise to the car, side rails inside like a jelly roll. So I put the jaclunder it and started cranking up, nd as soon as a little air got in it burst into flames! Sh*t!!. I knew that there was oil all over the engine, and that the car could burst into flames in a minute. So I cranked harder on the jack handle (anyone laughing yet?), got the mattress and boards loose, and and threw the mess on the embankment. Some of you may know that mattresses are hard to put out, especially soaked in oil, but I tried anyway. Stomped on it a little, no effect.

I was just walking around the front of the car to leave, and this young guy pulls up, jumps out, and starts to say: "Hey, you can't..." I cut him off with "It wasn't my mattress, and I didn't light it on fire". So he pulls out an extinguisher and puts it out, and then tells me that it cost him $20. I shrugged and left; driving away, I looked back, and he was standing there looking pissed.

I think after reading all the posts about milling on this site. The dumbest thing I have ever done is cut up all the black cherry trees for firewood :hmm3grin2orange: I guess I could have made some bucks off of all of that. Okay where do I begin to learn of the milling ??? :) I seriously need to get some info on milling with all the hard woods around here in my area and on our farm.

Doctor Dave said:
I noticed one guy posted a car-related item...

It was around 1990, on the I-95 interstate in CT in my crappy '75 Nova and I come up on a traffic jam. Not unusual---but then I came up on the cause, an entire bed in the center lane, kind of laid out in a series: mattress, sideboards, headboards (no boxspring). Well, eastcoast drivers tend to be me-first, and I couldn't get left or right; so, I said screw it and drove over the mess. I few minutes later, I'm going along at around 60 mph with my tape deck booming out Bob Marley ("We're Jammin'"), and some guy starts honking at me and waving. WTF? So I turned down the tapedeck and heard this noise, kind of like "shhhhhcckkk". Looking out the window, I see that the mattress is sticking out from under the car.

I pulled over, yanked on the mattress, but it wouldn't budge; it had rolled up behind the front tires crosswise to the car, side rails inside like a jelly roll. So I put the jaclunder it and started cranking up, nd as soon as a little air got in it burst into flames! Sh*t!!. I knew that there was oil all over the engine, and that the car could burst into flames in a minute. So I cranked harder on the jack handle (anyone laughing yet?), got the mattress and boards loose, and and threw the mess on the embankment. Some of you may know that mattresses are hard to put out, especially soaked in oil, but I tried anyway. Stomped on it a little, no effect.

I was just walking around the front of the car to leave, and this young guy pulls up, jumps out, and starts to say: "Hey, you can't..." I cut him off with "It wasn't my mattress, and I didn't light it on fire". So he pulls out an extinguisher and puts it out, and then tells me that it cost him $20. I shrugged and left; driving away, I looked back, and he was standing there looking pissed.

Well I didn't light it either! Still waiting for that $20.

deezulsmoke said:
I think after reading all the posts about milling on this site. The dumbest thing I have ever done is cut up all the black cherry trees for firewood :hmm3grin2orange: I guess I could have made some bucks off of all of that. Okay where do I begin to learn of the milling ??? :) I seriously need to get some info on milling with all the hard woods around here in my area and on our farm.

I almost cried when I saw a guy putting a 24" dia. straight clear cherry log into the back of a trailer...16" at a time. Off a construction site open to cutting. I told the guy he just cut up a $1200 log for firewood.

Another guy took down a 24" walnut in another area I was working. Tiny sapwood line in the stump, long trunk while it was standing. I had permission to take it out since it was out of the "agreed" cut zone. That would have been a nice one.

Mark

The dumbest thing I have ever done is cut up all the black cherry trees for firewood

I too, have sinned in this manner. I sawed a 24" dia. fiddleback maple into firewood in my rash ignorance. I later showed a piece of the wood to a local sawyer. He almost cried:cry:

Edit: added quote tags

Really banged up my right shoulder playing hockey. The next morning a guy comes in to buy a 385, and I had to set it up and start it with my left hand, with only a limited amount of pressure from my right to steady the saw. If the chain brake wasn't on, I'd have cut off my leg.

spike60 said:
Really banged up my right shoulder playing hockey. The next morning a guy comes in to buy a 385, and I had to set it up and start it with my left hand, with only a limited amount of pressure from my right to steady the saw. If the chain brake wasn't on, I'd have cut off my leg.

Spike you need to take it easy on them body parts ..Your getting older ya know.. :D :D

04ultra said:
Spike you need to take it easy on them body parts ..Your getting older ya know.. :D :D

When I go up the stairs my knees sound like Rice Krispys. But just because your getting old, doesn't mean you have to admit it!

Got lots of dumb things, but the most recent was this past summer.

We were wiring in transformers at a PGA golf coarse for a big golf event. We were almost done with the install for the area when the customer decided to add more stuff. There was a power drop box in the ground that i had to wire in cables to that would connect utility power to a remote tansformer. the drop box was breaker protected at a panel on the other side of the coarse. (25 minute ride on a golf cart). i tried to look like a hero and save the customer some time while getting the job done and get him power. I checked the 480V box and it read hot (live).. I thought it was odd, but someone must have turned the wrong breaker on.... I unscrewed the cable lugs and got my cable, inserted it into the lug and grabbed my ratchet to tighten the lug down. I got the allen socket 6" from the lug and i was lit up like a christmas tree. Made an azz out of me in front of my coworkers that wouldn't do it and broke my pride. I couldn't find a big enough rock to crawl under.

Long story short, it should not have gotten me beacuase there wasn't any current going throught it. Current (amps) is what kills. Voltage doesn't do jack. disconnect live stuff all the time, when the conditions are known...

Come to find out, the electricians that wired it in accidently had it piggy backed off of another circuit that we already had up and running. the amp draw backfeed through the system to me. It was only 277v, but enough to put you on your azz. No more short cuts from now one. Could have been killed, and being stupid about it....Accidents happen, but stupidity isn't an accident....

Freakingstang said:
Got lots of dumb things, but the most recent was this past summer.

We were wiring in transformers at a PGA golf coarse for a big golf event. We were almost done with the install for the area when the customer decided to add more stuff. There was a power drop box in the ground that i had to wire in cables to that would connect utility power to a remote tansformer. the drop box was breaker protected at a panel on the other side of the coarse. (25 minute ride on a golf cart). i tried to look like a hero and save the customer some time while getting the job done and get him power. I checked the 480V box and it read hot (live).. I thought it was odd, but someone must have turned the wrong breaker on.... I unscrewed the cable lugs and got my cable, inserted it into the lug and grabbed my ratchet to tighten the lug down. I got the allen socket 6" from the lug and i was lit up like a christmas tree. Made an azz out of me in front of my coworkers that wouldn't do it and broke my pride. I couldn't find a big enough rock to crawl under.

Long story short, it should not have gotten me beacuase there wasn't any current going throught it. Current (amps) is what kills. Voltage doesn't do jack. disconnect live stuff all the time, when the conditions are known...

Come to find out, the electricians that wired it in accidently had it piggy backed off of another circuit that we already had up and running. the amp draw backfeed through the system to me. It was only 277v, but enough to put you on your azz. No more short cuts from now one. Could have been killed, and being stupid about it....Accidents happen, but stupidity isn't an accident....

Freak should we get the support group up again for ya..

Latest posts

Back