What's the "One Last.." Piece of Equipment you Needed Last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flyboy553

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Me neither, It would get a lot of use by me! Use it all the time to build roads and such.

You would be out there a long long time if your going to build a road with one of these! lol Tune in next week folks! :bang: It would do good busting a trail through the woods, but road building? Not so much! Gonna want to go a little bigger than that. JD 550 minimum.

Ted

ShaneLogs

ShaneLogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
You would be out there a long long time if your going to build a road with one of these! lol Tune in next week folks! :bang: It would do good busting a trail through the woods, but road building? Not so much! Gonna want to go a little bigger than that. JD 550 minimum.

Ted

Well that is what I meant since I work on snowmobile/atv trails a lot.

ponyexpress976

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
A dump trailer would be sweet....but I would settle for some stuff from Bailey's. Need new/more wedges. One of those rope and pulley systems would be nice so i could tension a tree a little and the go cut. Gloves that last more than a month. Tracked skid steer could come in handy.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
I wouldn't mind having a crosscut saw in case world goes to SH!# and fuel becomes CRAZEY EXPENSIVE. Of course I cant bring myself to buy a new one because I wouldn't use it enough.

Get a sandvik or bahco bowsaw and a handful of extra blades. Cheaper than a crosscut and WAY easier to use. I have run both extensively, and a bowsaw rules for "practical" size wood. Grandpappy would have run one if they had been invented, instead of the crosscut misery whip. They work fine, I cut a ton of wood with a sandvik bowsaw when I was first burning firewood, around four cord a winter for heating and almost as much for sugaring.

The crosscut got demoted to only giant logs mostly for making table tops. A nice bowsaw limits you to a more reasonable diameter piece of wood so you aren't tempted to cut a bunch bawlbusters out in the woods then get a triple hernia trying to get them out. Working all with human power, keep it smal, 10-12 inches diameter is plenty, smaller even better. I scrounged a LOT of deadfall branches and smallish standing dead, great firewood! That also helps with much less splitting required.

My other armageddon backup I have today besides a bowsaw is my battery chainsaw (as long as no emp event..). I can keep it juiced with my solar panels. I did the math and a lot of test cutting, at one charge per day I could get around 15 cord a year.

Zeus103363

Zeus103363

ArboristSite Operative
Most folks suffer from that impulsive chainsaw buying thing. I too suffer from that, but It goes so much deeper than that! All started when I ended up with 2 used buck inserts. Borrowed a chainsaw, then went and bought my own. Borrowed a maul to split some wood. Then went out and bought one from lowes. Read about those nice fishers mauls. Bought one, and there ax, and a hatchet. Try to stay out of TCS cause they have a big fiskers display right beside the front entry door. My wife said they put it there cause they new I was coming! Ended up building my own log splitter this spring. Love it, but to build a log splitter, had to buy cad software for the computer for designing, upgrade some of my metal working tools, and I burned up my 1/2" drill, had to replace it. Now that I have that cad software, I have been designing a firewood processor. Kinda left it alone until the neighbor was cleaning out his shop, and a free Detroit 4 cylinder engine is impossible to pass up considering it would work wonderful for a processor. Last time I hauled my scrap metal to the scrap yard, the guys unloaded my trailer, and I was looking around, ended making a deal on some beam, and tubing somebody brought in, and loaded back up, had to make 2 trips. It's a never ending story for me, but I wouldn't change a thing!

Last edited:
Jules083

Jules083

ArboristSite Operative
I just bought a John Deere Gator, so I finally got the whole bring wood to house problem streamlined.

Cut with the Shihl 021, Husky 55 Rancher, or Husky 372XP

Split with SuperSplit (built a hitch, tow it in the woods)

Haul with Gator.

Next up is a woodshed of some sort.

Finch12

Finch12

ArboristSite Lurker
Yeah, as much as I'd like to put it off, I too will be having to construct a woodshed to hold the wood for the stove. I doubt the pallets I have out there with stacks of wood on it with a tarp pulled over top will suffice for long. It's not an "I want" though so I'm not sure if it counts :p

Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I don't think it ever ends and that is what drives a person. Once you get something you can't see how you lived without it. I tend to research the big purchases for a while and weigh out the pros and cons. The biggest thing to me is to take care of it maintenance wise, if you do that it will take care of you. ;)

MVC-011S_1.JPG

MVC-022S.JPG

Last edited:
MotorSeven

MotorSeven

Addicted to ArboristSite
One last piece of equipment???? They all seem to lead to more:D

I need a Log Arch, then I'd like to have one of those logging winches to go on the back of the tractor, then a diesel UTV to pull them out of the steeper woods where the tractor can't get in. But then again I have harnesses for the Clydesdales, so I need to get off my duff and train them to pull out my logs....they are 5 years old and have only been ridden as trail horses. I think horse logging would be much more fun and quieter then all those machines............

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
One last piece of equipment???? They all seem to lead to more:D

I need a Log Arch, then I'd like to have one of those logging winches to go on the back of the tractor, then a diesel UTV to pull them out of the steeper woods where the tractor can't get in. But then again I have harnesses for the Clydesdales, so I need to get off my duff and train them to pull out my logs....they are 5 years old and have only been ridden as trail horses. I think horse logging would be much more fun and quieter then all those machines............

Big giant guys, way cool! ya man, that's the ticket! I want to do that with one of the donkeys here, but I don't have the gear yet either. Then he and I would need to train each other. But the potential is nice!

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Yeah, as much as I'd like to put it off, I too will be having to construct a woodshed to hold the wood for the stove. I doubt the pallets I have out there with stacks of wood on it with a tarp pulled over top will suffice for long. It's not an "I want" though so I'm not sure if it counts :p

It helps a lot if you get the pallets themselves up off the ground, say with pressure treated scraps, old bricks, broken pavement chunks, etc. Or red cedar logs or locust if ya have that to spare I guess. I am about ready to start a new pallet row for final split and stack of the rounds I have accumulated and will be using some grade D old railroad ties. Not worth using for landscaping or shoring or fences anymore, but still enough life left in them to keep the pallets elevated.

Latest posts