Whats the real truth.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why didn't you hear about the theft? It was probably 7 states away from you. These guys don't usually sell this stuff two miles down the road from where they stole it. Didn't you ever watch "The Dukes Of Hazzard". Boss Hogg either brought in stolen stuff to sell, or was stealing stuff and shipping it out to sell elsewhere.

Daisy Duke......Now, that was a real woman! :jawdrop: I think that show had a car in it, too!:jester:

Sorry to go off topic.

To impress upon you the seriousness of this crime, here is Arkansas's criminal statute regarding theft by receipt. Most states have similar statutes.

FOR EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY
A.C.A. § 5-36-106

West's Arkansas Code Annotated Currentness
Title 5. Criminal Offenses
Subtitle 4. Offenses Against Property (Chapters 35 to 49)
+ Chapter 36. Theft
+ Subchapter 1. General Provisions (Refs & Annos)
>>§ 5-36-106. Theft by receiving

(a) A person commits the offense of theft by receiving if he or she receives, retains, or disposes of stolen property of another person:

(1) Knowing that the property was stolen; or
(2) Having good reason to believe the property was stolen.

(b) As used in this section, "receiving" means acquiring possession, control, or title or lending on the security of the property.

(c) The following give rise to a presumption that a person knows or believes that property was stolen:

(1) The unexplained possession or control by the person of recently stolen property; or
(2) The acquisition by the person of property for a consideration known to be far below the property's reasonable value.

(d) It is a defense to a prosecution for the offense of theft by receiving that the property is received, retained, or disposed of with the purpose of restoring the property to the owner or another person entitled to the property.

(e) Theft by receiving is a:

(1) Class B felony if the value of the property is two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or more;
(2) Class C felony if:
(A) The value of the property is less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) but more than five hundred dollars ($500);
(B) The property is a:
(i) Credit card or credit card account number; or
(ii) Debit card or debit card account number; or
(C) The property is a firearm valued at less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500); or
(3) Class A misdemeanor if otherwise committed.(emphasis added)

West's Arkansas Code Annotated Currentness
Title 5. Criminal Offenses (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle 1. General Provisions (Chapters 1 to 9)
+ Chapter 4. Disposition of Offenders
+ Subchapter 4. Imprisonment
>>§ 5-4-401. Felonies, incarceration

(a) A defendant convicted of a felony shall receive a determinate sentence according to the following limitations:

(1) For a Class Y felony, the sentence shall be not less than ten (10) years and not more than forty (40) years, or life;
(2) For a Class A felony, the sentence shall be not less than six (6) years nor more than thirty (30) years;
(3) For a Class B felony, the sentence shall be not less than five (5) years nor more than twenty (20) years;
(4) For a Class C felony, the sentence shall be not less than three (3) years nor more than ten (10) years;
(5) For a Class D felony, the sentence shall not exceed six (6) years; and
(6) For an unclassified felony, the sentence shall be in accordance with a limitation of the statute defining the felony.(emphasis added)

I implore you to take some steps to protect yourself, preferably trying to find the owner of those saws. At the very least, you need to get some legal counsel. Your crime is good for 3 to 10 years in prison in this state.

Last edited:
Also, if I were you I'd ask to have this thread deleted. Not a good idea to post such things in public places.

Daisy Duke......Now, that was a real woman! :jawdrop: I think that show had a car in it, too!:jester:

Sorry to go off topic.

Where do you think my screen name and avatar came from?:clap: :clap:

I want stolen saws.....:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Saws in boxes with warranty paperwork but no SN's...on the cheap...

hmm...

could be anything from clearance, theft, to insurance fraud.

Saws in boxes with warranty paperwork but no SN's...on the cheap...

hmm...

could be anything from clearance, theft, to insurance fraud.

There is never a legitimate reason to remove a serial number. They are put on the saws for a reason. Also, he can't claim he didn't know they were stolen. Having good reason to know they were stolen is sufficient. Furthermore, paying 1/3 of retail value can be taken as a presumption that he knew they were stolen.

There is never a legitimate reason to remove a serial number. They are put on the saws for a reason. Also, he can't claim he didn't know they were stolen. Having good reason to know they were stolen is sufficient. Furthermore, paying 1/3 of retail value can be taken as a presumption that he knew they were stolen.

I'm not arguing that. But it is interesting that if they were stolen - how did they get the warranty paperwork?

I know whenever I buy a Stihl, the dealer fills it out and sends it in and gives me a slip. Then again, maybe its different for Husky.

I'm not arguing that. But it is interesting that if they were stolen - how did they get the warranty paperwork?

I know whenever I buy a Stihl, the dealer fills it out and sends it in and gives me a slip. Then again, maybe its different for Husky.

Internal theft? That's a huge problem.

You have to be a man about this and go to the cops. Supporting theives even in this circumstance means you have no reason to complain if someone steals your car, robs your wife at knifepoint in the street or turns your house over.

Sounds harsh, but guys dont steal for kicks, the steal to supply guys who look the other way. At worse youve lost your saws, but they didnt really belong to you anyway. But doing nothing could be life changing

A few years back I needed a chain saw and was pointed to a fellow that worked with me and told that he sold chain saws cheap. Well last thing I wanted was a saw that was "cheap" but sure would like an inexpensive saw that was not cheap. I asked him what kind of saws he sold and he replied Husky and John Deere. I said forget the Deers but what about a Husky? He stated he could not guarantee what models he could still get but he would see. He brought in a 55, 61, 272XP and 372XP.....All in the box brand new along with all the warranty paperwork etc........The prices were $150 for the 55, $175 for the 61, $200 for the 272XP and $250 for the 372. I bought the 372 and also the 272 and told him to hold the 55 for me for a week and I would take that too. Then he said that if any warranty work needed to be done to let him know, and he would handle it, and not to send in the waranty paperwork to Husky, as these saws were mainly out the back door sales, no tax etc etc and steeply discounted.......

it was not until I got the saws home and into use that I noticed that the tags with the serial numbers on them were missing, so there was no possible way to register the saws anyhow............I did buy that 55 later on, and this fella sold a heap more saws later on over the years. I find it rather impossible that they would have been stolen, as he sold just too many of them, and if some frieind of his was taking inventopry out the back door to sell and steal there was far too many saws sold over time that the business would have noticed for usre its inventory getting low. So why were these saws sold like this.........I sitll think why so cheap. I can see in a way some of the saws (272XP) was then obsolete so perhaps it was easy to disocount it, but the 372 is still made.........was the dealer possibly behind this and just trying to push Husky saws, or was it a JD dealer told to dump "other" company products or loose the JD dealership? I just do not think they were what I would say were stolen items........so what could have been the reasoning for such low prices behind them.

Watch the series Sopranos, then draw your own conclusion.:cheers:

You have to be a man about this and go to the cops. Supporting theives even in this circumstance means you have no reason to complain if someone steals your car, robs your wife at knifepoint in the street or turns your house over.

Sounds harsh, but guys dont steal for kicks, the steal to supply guys who look the other way. At worse youve lost your saws, but they didnt really belong to you anyway. But doing nothing could be life changing

So you're saying that you'd go to the cops and volunteer yourself for arrest? That sounds life changing to me. Keep in mind that this happended "a few years back", which to me means that the cops will not be working in shifts to solve this caper.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in his place if I was actually there. It would be very hard to look at the saw knowing that it was stolen, but also hard to sign up to get involved with the law not knowing the outcome. You can't give it away. You can't sell it (rightfully). I wouldn't want it around either.

So you're saying that you'd go to the cops and volunteer yourself for arrest? That sounds life changing to me. Keep in mind that this happended "a few years back", which to me means that the cops will not be working in shifts to solve this caper.

I honestly don't know what I'd do in his place if I was actually there. It would be very hard to look at the saw knowing that it was stolen, but also hard to sign up to get involved with the law not knowing the outcome. You can't give it away. You can't sell it (rightfully). I wouldn't want it around either.

Well here the cops would be very very unlikely to take it further if you brought yourself in, as you have approached them about the problem. However if they found out about it in other ways, then youd be in trouble.

Just adding a local notes.

Almost every visit to a bigger supermarket in the dark hours gives me the chance to buy a range of powertools of which chainsaws are amongst the favourite.

Some guy approaches you when loading your car and offers you an item for normal sounding price. If you take the ride you know you will end at a price around 25% of actual market price.

So saying you do, the deal is done fast and easy (you dont want to try out your black purchased chainsaw on a crowded Tesco parking lot, do you) You drive home to find out ....

that you bought a window demo.Dont know if you know the dummies produced to put in shop windows which look as they should but are non functional dummies?

common business here.

Mercedes-benz once published production numbers in a funny way stating minimum 10% of their production was purely for theft and black part sales. This then brings another 10% extra sales for the replacement of these theft insured stolen pieces. In other words 20% of their production runs on criminality.

quite stunning looking from that side, not?

Making the deal of your life on a black/stolen product. Look at it this way for one moment:

We were building our house in the last 13 months. During this period we had several visits of nice people who only take what the 'rich' guy has to much of. (they think: he can buy another one anytime, i maybe only get once the chance to take it)
Counting everything together this means in 2008 i will be working 4 months purely to replace the stolen tools and materials. I have no choice as to replace most of them ASAP as we need them to maintain our property.

Put yourself in my place and think if you want to support criminality by buying black market.

Behind the offered products are victims of crime.

Theft happens because there is a market.

Stick a dynamite would prolly solve ur problem.............saw, wut saw?

But seriously, I would #1 take the thing apart and find the serial number (if their is one). #2 Find out if it could be stolen. #3 If it is stolen or gained by illegitimate means take that sucker down to the station, tell them the situation...I would guess they wont be too hard on you simply because you are trying to do the right thing and thats what counts, right? Best of luck, you have been caught in a rather sticky situation.

Well here the cops would be very very unlikely to take it further if you brought yourself in, as you have approached them about the problem. However if they found out about it in other ways, then youd be in trouble.

Understand. I live where Spacemule does, so you can see what you'd be eligible for under the most unforgiving treatment. As a reasonable person, I'd hope that they would not charge me if I approached them, but I don't know--and that's what makes it a question for me.

Delete this thread, never speak of it again. Then ship the saws to me so I can properly dispose of them. I won't even charge you.

I would pull it and check inside for a SN, then get the saw off my property. Then I'd talk to the local PD. That is no guarantee, but if it a smaller town I'd think they would be reasonable. If there are any problems, the saw ends in the river. If ok, it ends up at the PD as evidence.

never offered you any WildThings though?

k

Latest posts

Back