whats the worst saws ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but you're all wrong. You're neglecting what is in my opinion the ultimate ne'er-do-well saw, the Remington Mighty-Mite Bantam. About 1.9 cu. in. of noisy, oil-spraying frustration.

Friend bought one solely because it was cheap at Bradlees. It was TOTALLY outclassed by my little 30 cc Echo 315. Totally. The Remington informed you that it was running by bathing the area in a fine mist of oil, the engine was capable of near-zero power, and when you had it up near its peak, the clutch slipped. IMHO total garbage. (Does it float?)

The Echo still runs great.

Just a guess here on my part, z71mike, and no offense intended. But, these 3 Craftsman saws, along with Mark's 5.2 are probably older than you! :msp_laugh: So a statement like" Anything Craftsman is ****" can rub some folks the wrong way.

Craftsnmans018.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

+1 on the old "craftsman"/poulan mag saws.....been keeping me warm for a while...

Mac 110 is surely an exercise in paitience.

They ain't all that bad,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if ya know a few tricks.

168830d1295397351-dsc02287-jpg

Im the original poster,No offence was ment with my posting The Solo had a 20" bar on it so if its 33cc ish it would explain a lot.
Im not a hater of any saws bought my kid a cheap Mitre 10 one for xmas he loves it His first saw

None taken,

But thanks for starting the thread.

I for one had some fun with it.

Pro Mac 555

It was gift I received from working a lot of overtime

The saw was nothing but trouble; chain oilier knob broke then the oil pump for the chain went south; chain brake etc.

After having it the shop twice in three month of owning I sold it at a garage sell

Anything Craftsman. They consistently run like **** and the quality leaves something to be desired.

You have never had the opportunity to run the Sears Craftsman 3.7 that was made by Roper. It was powerful, lightweight and easy to handle. I received 21 years of great service out of mine.

The new-fangled plastic replacements made by Poulan, not even close.

As a teenager I had a Mini Mac with 10" bar. By the time I got it cranked I was worn out from pulling the rope.:msp_cursing: Couldn't keep it tuned. Hot it cranked OK, if it was warm there was no use in trying to crank it til it cooled off. So when it ran out of gas I filled it immediately and got it going, kinda like a race car pit stop.
Also, vibiration was off the scale, had to check the screws everytime you ran it or they would vibirate out. Don't miss it abit.

Mark. Who makes this one, craftman ended up with a few good ones buying from a lot of companys. Steve

This one happens to be a Poulan 5200. 85cc of get er done.

Yep Sears had saws labled for them by Poulan, Homelite, Echo and Solo to name a few.

I'm still waiting for that 064 to show up so I can make a believer out of him.

Oh really, is that so?

Bring that 064 on over here so I can give you a lesson in humility :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

Good point. Let me clarify my original statement haha

Any Craftsman that a family member bought brand new for a 'super low price' within the last ten years and needs you to fix it.:) That's happened on 3 different occasions with 3 different saws.

Just a guess here on my part, z71mike, and no offense intended. But, these 3 Craftsman saws, along with Mark's 5.2 are probably older than you! :msp_laugh: So a statement like" Anything Craftsman is ****" can rub some folks the wrong way.

Craftsnmans018.jpg

Gregg,

None taken. My bad. I've never had the opportunity to get my hands on a good classic Craftsman. It was a wrongly stated blanket answer and hopefully I get a chance some time to see one of your guys' at a GTG or something. They probably are older than me haha. I can always appreciate a classic and have been on the search for a good older Mac lately, actually. I'd love something American-made, which is rare to find any more.

attachment.php

Craftsnmans018.jpg

Now I WAS going to say that this THREAD was the worst ever made (LOL), but then Gregg and Mark posted some pics. All the saws pictured above are great saws. The Craftsman 3.6 branded Poulan 306A and the Craftsman 5.2 branded Poulan 5200 are the standouts for me. I have a Craftsman 2.1A (Poulan 25DA), Craftsman 1.9 (Poulan XX-D). I will soon have a Craftsman 3.7 (Poulan 3700) and Craftsman 2.0 (Poulan Micro) that are both waiting for a trip accross country. I've ran a few of the 3.7 Ropers and they are good saws too. Worked on Sears/Craftsman saws and other OPE in the 1990's. For most part they had good stuff. I'm not a fan of the Poulan 'lunchbox' style weed wackers they sold, but even the consumer Craftsman 2.5 and 2.7 (Poulan 2500 and 2700) chainsaws were a cut above the consumer stuff coming from Stihl and Husky at the time.

000_0178.jpg

000_0179.jpg

Here are my Craftsman 2.1A and 1.9.

None taken. My bad. I've never had the opportunity to get my hands on a good classic Craftsman. It was a wrongly stated blanket answer and hopefully I get a chance some time to see one of your guys' at a GTG or something. They probably are older than me haha. I can always appreciate a classic and have been on the search for a good older Mac lately, actually. I'd love something American-made, which is rare to find any more.

Its all good Man!:rock: I don't have a 5.2 Craftsman, but the 5200 Poulan, same saw, different color & decals.;)
I think you would be surprised how strong these 85cc saws are. Kinda what ModifiedMark was referring to.
And your right. The good American made saws are getting harder to find all the time.

Gregg,

This kind of thread never ends well.

Mini MAC's are fine until you have to work on them. McCulloch thought the BP-1 was a bad saw, and recalled it. Now it is one of the "holy grails" of saw collecting. Making a blanket statement about "Craftsman" saws is not very smart, as they are all rebadged saws from another maker. The cheap (and much maligned) Poulans work well for the intended purpose at a fair price. Bear in mind that you can cut a whole lot more wood with a running Wildthing and dulll chain than you can with a ported MS-660 and a broken starter pawl. The only saw that even approaches bad in my book is the throwaway "Homelites" from a few years ago. Those had a brake mechanism that would melt and wear with mild use, and render the brake useless without replacing the engine cradle. They figured it out, and improved the design. Sorry, but there are no bad saws in my book. There are plenty of bad owners, though.

I agree! Saws are like dogs..none are bad, just bad owners. And most can, and will be, a royal pain in the adz every now & then!

Back