What's up with Stihl:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis Brander

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello to all. I'm in the process of restoring my Stihl 08 S saw. I have ordered the parts I need through my local dealer after finding that they're still available. One part I need to finish the saw is the hose for the handle (part # 000 791 2004). My local dealer contacted Northeast Stihl and they say that 2 handle covers are availabile, but they are located at Intermountain Sthil. Now here is the problem. They have this jurisdictional thing going on. One will not supply parts to the other, mean while my local dealer and I are left hanging for the parts. What the H-LL is going on. Makes me want to go out and buy 20 Stihl saws and hope I can get parts for them. If the part is available why can't it be obtained through company channels. This is BS. Not trying to step on any toes here, just want parts. It was suggestied that I contact a dealer in Colorado and order through them and have it shipped to me, but doesn't look that will be possible either since Stihl doesn't approve sale of parts from one dealer to another or from one jurisdiction to another, something about warrenty claims, etc, bla, bla, bla. Any one here have any suggestions. I know - Ebay. Take care. Lewis.

I wanted to get parts fo my 031 and they laughed in my face when I asket for parts. Your lucky your getting some help.

Help?

I ordered the bulk of the parts I needed through the dealer and got a new clutch shoe set from Ebay. Just now trying to locate a handle cover to complete my restoration. It's available, but not apparently obtainable. This is strange to me. If I went to my local Chevy or GM dealer and wanted a particulat model car and they didn't have it in stock, it would be gotten through another dealer no matter where it came from, outside the county, the state or where ever. At least they would get it for you and the sale would be made and the parent company would show a profit. Guess Stihl doesn't want to sell parts or saws as far as I'm concerned. Take care. Lewis.

This is my only real problem with Stihl. They could make parts more readily available online like husky does, and make tons more money.

Stihl the manufacturer (this probably applies to most products & manufacturers) sells to distributors who handle everything from that point on (parts service & warranty) distributors have assigned areas/territories (which is where the feuding & back stabbing starts) many times distributors who's territories connect can not stand one another and shaft each other every chance they get or at least refuse to help one another out.

You are stuck in the middle.

You may need to contact Stihl and get them to sort things out for you the customer.

I have 2 different sizes of the hose, and it is original Stihl hose. What diameter is the handle? They both were in the 0000 slot. How long? I think your part number is
the one for the precut length, and the dealers/distributors only have it in longer pieces.
Looks like it has 3 different inner diameters, I only have two.

While they make a darned good saw,they leave a lot to be desired in the way the dealerships are set up,and the parts situation.There is no earthly reason to make so many different parts,in most situations,or to be such scalawag's when attempting to obtain said parts.It's the mindset of the country of origin.Machine tools,and many other products,are the same,in that regard.I have had to e-bay a few things,because they are no longer available.OK Glen,your turn for rebuttal :)

Parts Availability.

This may me a bit trivial, it's only a handle cover. But what about a pro logger or arborist who needs serious parts for his saw to keep his business going and the dealer can't get parts from a distributer that has them. Stihl USA traced the parts for me, let me know they were available, I contacted the dealer and they can't get them. BS!!!!!!! I'm a little pieved, but would be greatly pis-----t if I had a saw that I needed to have running for my living.

Fish, I measured the bar, it measures just under .900" or approximately 7/8" and the piece needs to be 18" long. Was thinking of using some sort of ribbed garden hose, but would like to get the right hose for it if possible. Let me know if you have a chunk. Then all I'll need to do is make up the Stihl 08-S decal for the side cover. Thanks. Lewis.

This current situation does not represent what a pro logger or arborist would encounter.  This is about obsolete parts and the (typical) pro doesn't rely on such non-current equipment, right?

Most times I need some trivial little something ordered (for nothing older than an 044) my local dealer has it in the next day for me, even when I tell him "no hurry".

I actually prefer the way Stihl takes care of their local dealers with their no-mail-order policy.

Glen

glens said:
This current situation does not represent what a pro logger or arborist would encounter.  This is about obsolete parts and the (typical) pro doesn't rely on such non-current equipment, right?

Most times I need some trivial little something ordered (for nothing older than an 044) my local dealer has it in the next day for me, even when I tell him "no hurry".

I actually prefer the way Stihl takes care of their local dealers with their no-mail-order policy.

Glen

My experience with Stihl here in Canada has been the same as you glen, Stihl has been the only one in this neck of the woods that has maintained a regular long term dealer organisation, I know they have dealers of 20 & 25 years. Husky dealers change every other year or faster, Dolmar is virtually non-existant except for the models marketed by Makita here, Solo Emac are not existant, in all fairness Jonsered has also been fairly stable the last 6 to 8 years. But Canada is a smaller market place, in larger markets such as USA, Brazil, Argentina, chili and Europe things seem different.

Now my turn for rebuttal.Caterpillar and John Deere ,have parts available for machinery that is over 50 yrs old.Not too many excavating contractors use 1940 7J series D4 cats,nor are many farmers using 1937 John Deere A's to farm with.Parts are available for these machines,normally 72 hr delivery,world wide.I can well understand not having parts for a 40 year old saw but this not being able to get parts by a phone call,is wrong .I think they want you to treat the local dealer like royalty.Never happen .Your turn!

Al I agree with you.

But the bottom line with in this case may just well be:

Stihl the manufacturer (this probably applies to most products & manufacturers) sells to distributors who handle everything from that point on (parts service & warranty) distributors have assigned areas/territories (which is where the feuding & back stabbing starts) many times distributors who's territories connect can not stand one another and shaft each other every chance they get or at least refuse to help one another out.

You are stuck in the middle.

You may need to contact Stihl and get them to sort things out for you the customer.

The sizes I have are 19mm/3/4" and one that looks to be @ 22mm or so, so that might be it. It looks to fit an 031.

Trivial?

Yes, I agree that the saw is 40 years old, but the part is on inventory from what Stihl USA says. The bottom line should be customer service. So I'm not a pro logger, but the saw is in excelent shape and restorable to near new condition. So what if I had a newer saw and wanted parts for it. What am I suppose to do. Trade it in for a newer saw. Years ago I would agree that Shihl made an excelent saw with great service a bit pricey but I would have considered a Stihl before other saws in this area. But now I think your just paying a high price for the Stihl name and hope the service is there. I'm just waiting to see Sthil wanting to increace sales by selling through a box store and forcing the dealers to service the saws along with being forced to carry all the Shihl products. As was mentioned on another thread, it would appear that the bickering about the service thing would get even worse. You would still be caught in the middle. I think if Shihl really wanted to better their image, thay would address the the service thing to a higher degree. Like I said the part is on inventory, but unobtainable so it seems. Go figure. Take care. Lewis.

Nice Looking Saw.

Thanks for the compliment Master Blaster. Once I get all the clutch parts and the bar and chain back on I'll post a couple more picks. I've been busy repainting my Homelite, 5-20 and Zip. Have all the decals for the 5-20, and have leads on decals for the Zip. Once the paint cures a bit more they'll be ready for the decals. Here's a pic of the Homeite, 5-20 and Zip. Take care. Lewis.

Couple more of Zip saw.

Here's a couple more of the Zip. I managed to save the recoil decal but the rest will have to be repalced, the paint was in pretty bad shape. Lewis.

Rim Sprocket:

Hello Oldsaw-addict. Pictures don't lie. That's a rim sprocket, will not deny it. First one I've actually seen on a saw (seriously). Looks like a great system to me. Mike's site said she had 7/16" pitch chain on her originally, but she has been converted to 3/8" pitch by the previous owner. Checked the bar and it's .050 gauge. I have a new loop of chain for it I had, but will have to shorten it to work. No problem. Otherwise the saw is completely original and runs just great. Take care. Lewis. I'll have to at some time post some more pics of my collection thus far. Most of the saw are now cleaned, running, primed and painted. Now locating or making some decals. All will be hopefully displayed this summer at some point, locally. Again take care. Lewis.

Back