Whats with the 064 Stihl??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
064, not bad ole saw

I got one in great condition. Runs perfect. Doesn't have quite the power of a 066 but in all its still a helluva nice saw. Feels good in the hand and cuts just fine for what it is. That big money everyone gets, or asks, for a 064 is kinda puzzling for these saws are getting up in years now.....

rbtree said:
The 064 had smaller displacement, and is not such a highly tuned machine. The dual port 066, not sold for several years now, is one of the best saws ever, in stock form...at least till the Dolmar 7900 came out.
Man! I have no use whatsoever for a saw this large, but I want a 7900 BAD! :bang:

Also, do I ever gotta get outta this place! LOL! :laugh:

Hack said:
Man! I have no use whatsoever for a saw this large, but I want a 7900 BAD! :bang:

Also, do I ever gotta get outta this place! LOL! :laugh:

lolol, Hack the Dolmar man just called here, he was asking for you,lol. Go get that 7900 man, you can't take that rusty money with you so get that saw your wanting...............

don't know if it came stock, but my 064 has a dual port muffler...

hautions11 said:
I second that 046. I just recently found a "factory" looking dual port muffler for my 064. I bought a parts saw and it had the muffler on it. Did the 064 ever come with a dual port???

THALL10326 said:
lolol, Hack the Dolmar man just called here, he was asking for you,lol. Go get that 7900 man, you can't take that rusty money with you so get that saw your wanting...............
Your wisdom overfloweth. :D

I just picked up a 5100S a week back. Found a local dealer that was excellent! Thanks Dolmar! Anyway, I haven't even fired her up yet (got to get out to my lot with some fallen limbs that's 30 miles away), but she sure is purrrrrtttyyy.

Anyway I have this mental disorder called "overpreparednessequipmentitis." It's basically the need to have any and all tools required for a task/job that just might possibly happen, no matter how remote the chance. For example, I live in a fairly new house where all the trees on my block are skinny 10' tall saplings. But hey, an 18-wheeler logging truck (they have no reason to be on my suburban street let alone a 3 county area) may just make a wrong turn down my street (I don't even think an 18 wheeler can pass the weight restriction on the connecting main boulevard) and lose it's load (like as if these guys would travel 1200 miles without a problem first) and dump their two foot diameter logs (hopefully hardwood - I'm a wannabe woodworker too) right on my front lawn! Hey! It could hapen!

:biggrinbounce2:

Hack said:
Your wisdom overfloweth. :D

I just picked up a 5100S a week back. Found a local dealer that was excellent! Thanks Dolmar! Anyway, I haven't even fired her up yet (got to get out to my lot with some fallen limbs that's 30 miles away), but she sure is purrrrrtttyyy.

Anyway I have this mental disorder called "overpreparednessequipmentitis." It's basically the need to have any and all tools required for a task/job that just might possibly happen, no matter how remote the chance. For example, I live in a fairly new house where all the trees on my block are skinny 10' tall saplings. But hey, an 18-wheeler logging truck (they have no reason to be on my suburban street let alone a 3 county area) may just make a wrong turn down my street (I don't even think an 18 wheeler can pass the weight restriction on the connecting main boulevard) and lose it's load (like as if these guys would travel 1200 miles without a problem first) and dump their two foot diameter logs (hopefully hardwood - I'm a wannabe woodworker too) right on my front lawn! Hey! It could hapen!

:biggrinbounce2:

hahahaha, I know the feeling Hack. I got 21 Sthils out in the shed and few trees in site but hey, like you, I wanna be ready,lol

Who knows? As far as being prepared, some deranged country may declare war on the U.S. (they would have to be deranged to even think about doing this) but may enter into a super-clean war where all fighting had to be down with chainsaws! (Actually, that wouldn't be a "clean" war anymore would it? It'd actually be pretty messy, huh?) Well, anyway, in such a war YOU my friend would be very well equipped. :chainsaw:

:laugh:

There's big wood and little wood, so you need a big saw and a little saw. Sometimes a tree will pinch your bar, so you need another saw to cut it out. It's best to take someone with you when you are out cutting wood, so they need a saw, plus an extra. That makes three, except whoever you might take with you will cut big wood and little wood, so he or she needs two saws. That has four saws reasonably accounted for, but... . I usually take two sometimes three people with me, so you do the math. After awhile you can drop the big saw little saw routine, and go to a felling and limbing explanation. Then it is good to always have one or two saws that aren't running exactly perfect, so you can use that as an excuse to get another and another. Once you've settled on the saws you really like and want, you might as well get an extra of each, just in case something happens. ...You get the picture?

Pat

Chainsaw_Maniac said:
If you want to get your hands on a 064 then I know a guy that is selling one. He tried to sell it to me and I didn't want it because I already have a 066 Arctic with a magnum muffler. His 64 is a well maintained saw that he's hardly ever used in the 20 years it's been sitting in his garage. It ran great when I tried it out.

His name is Ron McKenzie and he lives near Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada. He doesn't use the net so you wont find it on eBay.

Speak up! I'm going to be as far as Kincardine in a couple of weeks, it's not that much farther. If the price is right..............

ya.. kinda like difference between 044 and 046.
really like my 046, but loads of folks prefer their 044/440's over 460's.

there's another thread about why there's not a MS770 model instead.

don't have an 066 to compare to, but I really like my 064's light weight. seems barely heavier than 046, but with much more grunt. :greenchainsaw:

pinus said:
064 growed to MS 650:confused:

pinus said:
064 growed to MS 650:confused:
That is close, but not quite true, as far as I know.

The 064 evolved into the MS640 for some markets, not into the MS650.

The MS650 is based on the 066/MS660, but with the engine size of the 064/MS640.

The 650 weights about as the 066/660, while the 064/640 are somewhat lighter.

Sylvatica said:
064 - 84.9cc, 6.5hp, 15.2lb

066M - 91.6cc, 7.8hp, 16.4lb

(Those were 1993 specs.)
I wonder what is really true about the 066, as the repair manual from 1992 that I have a printout from states that the 066 "Red Light" puts out 5.0 kW/6.8bhp - not 7.7bhp/7.8hp, which have often been stated at this site.:bang: :bang: :confused:

It also states that max rpm is 12000 for the 064, while it is 13500 for the 066.

Thank you!:clap:

So there was a magnum and a non-magnum version of the "Red Light" 066.
I was prepared for that answer, but I wasn't sure.

Interested in selling one of those 064's? I'm in the market for something bigger than my 038 Super.
Finnbear

JimL said:
Ive got some 064's layin around. I dont like them. Seems like they just dont have the grunt the 66's do.

Ive been using my old redlight special 066 for 4 years everyday.

Still runs as good as it did when it was new. Its got the dual port muffler.

Back