what's wrong? Chain should fit...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well my woodsmanpro ripping chain just arrived from Baileys, very nice. But I offer it up to the bar, and it's too short. So I double checked everything - 36" bar (large mount stihl), everywhere says 114 DL (3/8). The chain says 114 dl (3/8), and I count just to make sure. All checks out fine. And I'd say it's about 4-5 links too short at least. I measure the bar just in case, it's pretty much bang on 36" from the saw to tip.
So I'm assuming the old style narrow tip stihl bar has a different DL requirement (that's what this is). Does anyone know what this is? It's not really worth send the chain back to the US as it cost about £10, maybe I can trade it in for a new one at the local dealer?
I just can't understand what went wrong - it can't be any longer, and it seems narrower...
Can somewhat point out an error (maybe it's an obvious one...)?

Not a .325 in the wrong box perhaps?

:popcorn:

After you get it figured out call Baileys and explain it to them, great guys to deal with. If they're in the wrong I would think they would make it right for you. ;)

Could it be 3/8's LP chain??????

What is the item # you ordered??

WP365 30LR is the low profile 3/8's chain.

WP375 30RP is the standard 3/8's chain.

Last edited:
Obviously something isn't adding up. It either isn't a Stihl 36" bar, or it isn't 114 DL of 3/8 chain. If it were, it would fit. Unless it's an old bar and they used to take a lot more DLs.

Well it is stihl, and it measures 36" from front of saw. It is standard 3/8 chain, and it says 114dl on the box, and I counted dl to double check. It is an old bar, so I guess it's different, but it's not wider, apart from maybe the rear mount, is this it?

The newer Stihl bars say the number of drive links so................

this is ols, it doesn't

:popcorn:

After you get it figured out call Baileys and explain it to them, great guys to deal with. If they're in the wrong I would think they would make it right for you. ;)

Could it be 3/8's LP chain??????

What is the item # you ordered??

WP365 30LR is the low profile 3/8's chain.

WP375 30LR is the standard 3/8's chain.

it is 33RP. I'll give them a call, but I don't think it's their fault, and would not be cost effective to send it back.

How very strange. I had the exact same issue with my Woodsman Pro ripping chain. Same size bar 36" with 114DL stamped in to the side, same chain size 3/8" .050 gauge. I ended up having to take it in and had a few links added.

I figured my problem was because I modified the studs on my large mount Stihl to accept a smaller mount 3/8" Stihl bar since according to the catalog they didn't make a 3/8 bar that would fit my 076.

Are you sure your bar is large mount and nothing has been modified in any way?

How very strange. I had the exact same issue with my Woodsman Pro ripping chain. Same size bar 36" with 114DL stamped in to the side, same chain size 3/8" .050 gauge. I ended up having to take it in and had a few links added.

I figured my problem was because I modified the studs on my large mount Stihl to accept a smaller mount 3/8" Stihl bar since according to the catalog they didn't make a 3/8 bar that would fit my 076.

Are you sure your bar is large mount and nothing has been modified in any way?
hmm, interesting. I can't swear it's unmodified, but i'm pretty sure - it's one HELL of a good mod if it is. How many links did you have added then?

It does'nt have a larger than stock sprocket does it? Did you count the drive links in your old chain and see if they're the same count?

It does'nt have a larger than stock sprocket does it? Did you count the drive links in your old chain and see if they're the same count?

It's the first chain I've got for the bar. It doesn't reach anywhere close to the sprocket, it's much smaller. It's quite a big difference we're talking about here...

Well it is stihl, and it measures 36" from front of saw. It is standard 3/8 chain, and it says 114dl on the box, and I counted dl to double check. It is an old bar, so I guess it's different, but it's not wider, apart from maybe the rear mount, is this it?

this is ols, it doesn't

it is 33RP. I'll give them a call, but I don't think it's their fault, and would not be cost effective to send it back.

Yep 33RP is indeed regular 3/8's. :confused:

Me thinks strange things are afoot. :confused: :dizzy:

Your bar is stamped with 114DL right???

When you say "large" mount Stihl do you mean the 3002 mount like for the 084, 088, MS880??

or are you talking about the 3003 mount like the 066/660 uses??

The reason I ask is;

I don't have the info for a 36" large mount (3002) Stihl bar in 3/8's x .063 but the info I have for the .404 x .063 in the 3002 mount vs. the 3003 mount says the 3002 mount takes four more drive links for the same size bar. Now thats in .404 so I would guess that in the 3/8's that would be more like the five or six links you say you are short.

Just a guess.

Small mount, large mount makes no difference. They both call for 114DL.

I just checked my 93' Oregon app. guide and
for a 066 small mount D025 36" 3/8" it called for 114 drivers
for a 084 large mount E031 36" 3/8" it called for 120 drivers

Sounds On Par??

Scott

hmm, interesting. I can't swear it's unmodified, but i'm pretty sure - it's one HELL of a good mod if it is. How many links did you have added then?

What saw are you using here? Mine is an 075.

The only thing I modified was the shoulder of the bar mount studs. I turned them down until they were the correct diameter to fit the bar I had. Not something very easily noticed unless you know what you are looking at.

My chain fit (or didn't fit) exactly as you descried. It was way short of making it over the tip of the bar and I tried many different things to try and get it on. I didn't bother calling Baileys because they sent me exactly what I ordered and I knew it was no fault of theirs.

When I get home I'll count my drive links and let you know how many I had added. Seems like it was around 3 to 5 DLs though.

My 051 and 090 take the same bars but the 090 requires several more links than the 051, buy a few presets and a few more links break the chain and fix it

I'm quoting from the 2007 Stihl Bar and Chain Catalog. A misprint?

A 36" 3002 mount bar on a 084/088/880 calls for 114DL of 3/8.

A 36" 3003 mount bar on a 066/660 calls for 114DL of 3/8.

Last edited:
Back